PDA

View Full Version : amazon kindle and pps

beertapper
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Anyone here use the kindle reader? I'd be curious to know if it can display PPs in PDF format. The larger unit would seem to be a good size for it.

CBedo
11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I have a first generation kindle that I love, but it only so-so for pdfs. I use a third party software product to convert pdfs to their format.

I've heard that the new Barnes & Noble reader is supposed to be great with pdfs.

BillW
11-17-2009, 01:08 PM
I would think a netbook would serve the same purpose and be much more versatile.

CBedo
11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I would think a netbook would serve the same purpose and be much more versatile.From a flexibility standpoint, no question, but if you want to just read the pps (with the ability to take notes actually), then you a netbook screen isn't in the same league as the readers.

garyoz
11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I would think a netbook would serve the same purpose and be much more versatile.

Tried it on my netbook, but you need to magnify the adobe reader and do much scrolling. Also you need to set the netbook on a table or juggle it in your lap. Mine has a linux OS, and compatability seems ok. Overall, didn't work for me. The kindle can be handled more like a magazine--at least according to the specs and would seem much better--

I have a new Sony Viao with a 13 inch screen that weighs 4.3 lbs. Almost 4 hours of battery life without lowering the screen brightness, almost 5 hours if you do. Much better than a netbook. Also can use it with handicapping software and does great with streaming video. Not that more expensive than a netbook and much more robust. Also check out the new Asus laptops:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_7_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=asus+laptop&sprefix=as

JustRalph
11-17-2009, 03:12 PM
The Kindle is going down..........it does not do PDF's in the first model

the new thing coming is

www.nook.com

ships Dec 18 just in time for the wife's stocking

CBedo
11-17-2009, 03:38 PM

the new thing coming is

www.nook.com (http://www.nook.com)

ships Dec 18 just in time for the wife's stockingAlthough the second generation one might do it better (don't know), the first generation kindle does handle pdfs. I use it all the time. It's not perfect, but it works. There are a number of pdf (or html) to mobi converters.

Canarsie
11-17-2009, 04:36 PM

the new thing coming is

www.nook.com

ships Dec 18 just in time for the wife's stocking

From all the tech stuff I get they say it won't stand a chance not that it matters. B & N blew it against Amazon do you really think they will win this battle? Sony also has a reader

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170828/sonys_ereader_vs_kindle_5_reasons_amazon_should_wo rry.html

once the dust settles DRF will make a choice and away we go.

I'm standing by my prediction that in 5 years no more paper edition.

rrbauer
11-17-2009, 04:55 PM
From all the tech stuff I get they say it won't stand a chance not that it matters. B & N blew it against Amazon do you really think they will win this battle? Sony also has a reader

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170828/sonys_ereader_vs_kindle_5_reasons_amazon_should_wo rry.html

once the dust settles DRF will make a choice and away we go.

I'm standing by my prediction that in 5 years no more paper edition.

Here's an even better prediction: In 5 years no more DRF!

DeanT
11-17-2009, 05:46 PM
BillW is always pushing the netbooks. I think he works for Samsung :D

I use it for PP's for harness and they are fine, but for Tbred pp's they are not my favorite.

As an aside, amazing where technology is taking us. Yesterday at the track I watched the revolving odds channel on my slingbox software on my blackberry while sitting at a table. Wifi at the track is a good thing.

beertapper
11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
the bigger selling point compared to netbooks is the e-ink screen. i had a look at a sony reader and it is quite good for reading. I think an LCD would strain the eyes more over time. battery life is superior and if you could download them directly (in the future), that would be even better.

i don't mind printing on paper for now, but this would save on those costs. If you play 2+ tracks a day 3x a week, printing out the pps would add up over time. The ink used on one page of a PP is alot more than say a double spaced word document.

ranchwest
11-17-2009, 09:19 PM
BillW is always pushing the netbooks. I think he works for Samsung :D

I use it for PP's for harness and they are fine, but for Tbred pp's they are not my favorite.

As an aside, amazing where technology is taking us. Yesterday at the track I watched the revolving odds channel on my slingbox software on my blackberry while sitting at a table. Wifi at the track is a good thing.

Which channel is the "revolving odds channel"?

ranchwest
11-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I output my PP's and reports in HTML and then view them on my Blackberry through Opera Mini. The drawbacks are that there's a lot of scrolling and only one file at a time (one Opera), but it does work.

DeanT
11-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Which channel is the "revolving odds channel"?
Sorry Ranch, the cable systems horse package here has five channels - four racing ones and an odds channel with payoffs and live tote.

beertapper
11-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Dean, how do you find the slingbox ? Does it work well? Always wondered about them, but don't know anyone who has one, or seen one in action...

DeanT
11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Dean, how do you find the slingbox ? Does it work well? Always wondered about them, but don't know anyone who has one, or seen one in action...

Hey beer,

I really like it. Even with a poor internet connection it works fairly well. I never had a problem with it, use it all the time, and for the price it is a steal, imo.

JustRalph
11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
They have a slingbox like device for your game player now

you can play your games from anywhere in the world. just hook up your xbox or whatever to it........

CBedo
11-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Hey beer,

I really like it. Even with a poor internet connection it works fairly well. I never had a problem with it, use it all the time, and for the price it is a steal, imo.A slingbox type device with the DISH/RTN package would be sweet (if DISH ever launches it).

turfnsport
11-18-2009, 01:36 PM
If I wanted to use DRF pdf PP's which do you guys think is going to be best?

garyoz
11-18-2009, 01:46 PM
If I wanted to use DRF pdf PP's which do you guys think is going to be best?

Have to wait until The Nook is released next month and is reviewed, etc.

CBedo
11-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Have to wait until The Nook is released next month and is reviewed, etc.I agree.

beertapper
11-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey beer,

I really like it. Even with a poor internet connection it works fairly well. I never had a problem with it, use it all the time, and for the price it is a steal, imo.

Cool. Are you using the regular one or the HD version? I think I may get one now if they go on sale this christmas...

DeanT
11-18-2009, 05:31 PM
I just use the regular one since the non HD receiver is in the office near the internet connection. If your receiver for cable/dish is not near your internet connection you need a separate box (I think it is called a slingcatcher).

For racing it is pretty clear and you can resize the screen and place it in some cool spots on the desktop. If you have an ADW open and want to watch the video it is always there without moving windows.

Software to use it on blackberrys and other devices is $29. You have to make sure you have a WIFI at the track, or unlimited bandwidth or you are screwed. It is a bandwidth hog.

Anyhow, even on the netbook it works well while I am at the track, should I want a certain race on in front of me and I have no problem betting, reading pps and so on with it.

GL!

SpotPlays
11-18-2009, 06:16 PM
hmm, Amazon Kindle ad displayed on this thread
lol

turfnsport
11-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Have to wait until The Nook is released next month and is reviewed, etc.

Thanks, I read about a half dozen reviews, and they all agree it blows away the Kindle...Not seeing much about pdf, I'd like to give it a try to read PP's and out of town newspapers, getting me away from the computer screen some, and I'm still old school, I print out all PP's, so if it displays pdfs good I might consider trying it...It would pay for itself in just a couple of months.

If anyone sees anything pdf specific, I would apprecaite it if you post it.

thanks.

beertapper
11-25-2009, 03:55 AM
apparently a firmware update is out that enables PDF support and 85% longer battery

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1358968&highlight=

looks more interesting now

Canarsie
11-25-2009, 10:29 AM
This race is over before it started I wish the competition well but any non techie is buying the Kindle. If every ADW player bought a Nook or Sony reader it would add 50,000 to it's sales a drop in the bucket.

The iphone drops calls repeatedly and has killed the ATT network people bitch about it all the time. The only problem is they say I'm not switching to Verizon till they have an iphone with their network.

Lets go back in time and Beta was far superior to VHS and where did that end up?

This is from a guy who owns a Creative Zen Mp3 player which I consider to be far superior in it's time to the ipod. Care to guess how many people I know who own one? Less then 5 compared to well over 100 who swear buy the ipod and it's restrictions.

Even Walmart is going to war with Amazon how will B&N compete?

CBedo
11-25-2009, 10:58 AM
apparently a firmware update is out that enables PDF support and 85% longer battery

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1358968&highlight=

looks more interesting nowI'll never turn down more battery life, but it lasted for weeks anyway.

turfnsport
11-25-2009, 11:11 AM
From the press release:
To read their personal or professional documents, Kindle customers simply email PDFs to their Kindle email address or move them over using a USB connection. Customers that prefer to have their PDF documents converted to the Kindle format simply type "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when sending documents to their “@kindle.com” address.

Very interesting...If anyone plays around with PP's on the Kindle, let us know how well it works.

CBedo
11-25-2009, 12:02 PM
From the press release:
To read their personal or professional documents, Kindle customers simply email PDFs to their Kindle email address or move them over using a USB connection. Customers that prefer to have their PDF documents converted to the Kindle format simply type "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when sending documents to their “@kindle.com” address.

Very interesting...If anyone plays around with PP's on the Kindle, let us know how well it works.Too much on the "honey do" list before I leave for Vegas today, but if noone else does, I'll try to upgrade the firmware on my kindle and download some PPs after thanksgiving.

turfnsport
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Too much on the "honey do" list before I leave for Vegas today, but if noone else does, I'll try to upgrade the firmware on my kindle and download some PPs after thanksgiving.

That would be great...I'm thinking I might need the larger one, the DX at $489, to really view PP's nicely, but still I think it would be a good investment, if I can keep it away from the wife.

beertapper
11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
From the press release:

Very interesting...If anyone plays around with PP's on the Kindle, let us know how well it works.

it comes with an email too? neat... is this just for US customers ?

found a short demo of it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B4Iot8B7ZE

JustRalph
11-25-2009, 05:37 PM
how in the hell does a firmware upgrade add 85 percent more battery life???

That is an amazing thing to come out with.........it means something was way wrong in the beginning

matthewsiv
11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
So please can someone explain to me how I put PP's on my Kindle?

I have the Dx and have never used it.

I guess that I would if I could do this.

Where do i get the PP's from DRF or Brisnet?

turfnsport
11-25-2009, 08:06 PM
So please can someone explain to me how I put PP's on my Kindle?

I have the Dx and have never used it.

I guess that I would if I could do this.

Where do i get the PP's from DRF or Brisnet?

You should be able to use either in pdf...
The website said
"Kindle customers simply email PDFs to their Kindle email address or move them over using a USB connection. Customers that prefer to have their PDF documents converted to the Kindle format simply type "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when sending documents to their “@kindle.com” address. "

Let us know how it works.

Mike_412
11-26-2009, 02:08 AM
I was just looking at the new one from Sony and it looks really sweet. Thanks for starting this thread as I hadn't really read up on any of these readers before.

matthewsiv
11-26-2009, 09:29 AM
The actual transfer by email is easy.

I put convert in the heading of the email.

It came up absolutely unreadable as PP's.

Any idea's.
:mad: :lol: :mad: :lol:

beertapper
11-26-2009, 10:26 AM
The actual transfer by email is easy.

I put convert in the heading of the email.

It came up absolutely unreadable as PP's.

Any idea's.
:mad: :lol: :mad: :lol:

are you using BRIS or DRF? and is it unreadable due to the font size? even if you rotate the screen horizontally ?

any chance of posting a photo of how it looks?

matthewsiv
11-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I am using BRIS.

CBedo
11-27-2009, 12:47 AM
how in the hell does a firmware upgrade add 85 percent more battery life???

That is an amazing thing to come out with.........it means something was way wrong in the beginningAlthough like many first releases, there are plenty of improvements to be had, you have to remember in this case that the battery life is not tied to how long something is displayed (like your computer screen burning battery). The energy is actually used turning the page, lighting it up initially. Theoretically, if you displayed a page, and then left the reader on for 10 years, and then came back, the page should still be up with no battery used to keep it there. So it is somewhat more feasible that they could get some battery life improvements.

Canarsie
11-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Thought you might like to read one mans opinion on the current e-readers.

Elgan: 7 reasons why e-book readers make lousy gifts this year
An e-reader seems like a sweet, substantive and long-lasting gift. But so is a fruitcake.
Mike Elgan

November 27, 2009 (Computerworld) Two years ago, the best holiday gift was an Amazon Kindle -- if you could get your hands on one. They were hot, new and sold out hours after going on sale. Last year, the Kindle made an awesome gift as well.

This year, all the e-book readers on the market, including the new Kindles, are better devices than last year's Kindles. (Amazon announced this week that it has improved battery life by 85 percent, and has added a native PDF reader. These improvements are software-based, so most older readers will get them automatically over the wireless network.)

And there has never been more choice in e-readers. In addition to the Amazon Kindle, you could buy a Sony Reader, Barnes & Noble Nook, Hanvon N series, Bookeen Cybook Opus, Elonex eBook, Endless Ideas BeBook, Interead COOL-ER, Samsung Papyrus, Foxit Software eSlick, iRex Digital Reader, Jinke Hanlin or others.

The e-book market has never been better. But that doesn't mean you should buy one as a gift. Here's why e-book readers make lousy gifts this year:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141437/Elgan_7_reasons_why_e_book_readers_make_lousy_gift s_this_year