PDA

View Full Version : What race will be renamed the Robert J Frankel?

Stillriledup
11-17-2009, 04:28 AM
I'm sure Bobby will have a race named after him, which race do we think it should be? Is there a particular race that could use a name change?

What race would you rename in honor of Bobby?

foregoforever
11-17-2009, 05:14 AM
The Bobby Frankel Pacific Classic.

Moyers Pond
11-17-2009, 09:01 AM
The Bobby Frankel Pacific Classic.

Frankel was great, but you can't go naming grade 1 races after trainers. There are way too many great horses that don't have races named after them, and the horses are the stars, not the jockeys or trainers.

I never liked this idea of name races after writers and trainers. If anything, the writers and trainers are the only ones not putting anything at risk. Every time a horse and jockey go out there they are risking their lives.

I think Bobby probably deserves a nice room named after him at the track, but not a race.

JustRalph
11-17-2009, 10:16 AM
They should create a new Turf Stakes with his name.............

Bochall
11-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Other than the Jimmy Winkfield can anyone think of any stakes named after jockeys?

Hajck Hillstrom
11-17-2009, 10:40 AM
The Bobby Frankel Pacific Classic.With 8 wins in each, how about either the Bobby Frankel Matriarch or the Gamely Bobby Frankel?

Quagmire
11-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Other than the Jimmy Winkfield can anyone think of any stakes named after jockeys?

The Shoemaker Mile at Hollywood.

Bochall
11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
The Shoemaker Mile at Hollywood. Hello! Forgot about that one...thx Quags. Back to the topic though...i think Cali will name something for him as they seem to honor their race folk well (The Whittingham, The Murray etc...).

Fingal
11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Frankel was great, but you can't go naming grade 1 races after trainers.

There's something at Hollywood Park.

Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap GI
$300,000
3 year olds and up
1 1/4 Miles (turf)

postpicker
11-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Frankel was great, but you can't go naming grade 1 races after trainers. There are way too many great horses that don't have races named after them, and the horses are the stars, not the jockeys or trainers.

I never liked this idea of name races after writers and trainers. If anything, the writers and trainers are the only ones not putting anything at risk. Every time a horse and jockey go out there they are risking their lives.

I think Bobby probably deserves a nice room named after him at the track, but not a race.

I can't think of anyone that disagreed with the Turf Classic at Belmont being named the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic. Same with the Murray, Whittingham and the Shoemaker in California. I think it is a lock that Allen Jerkens will have a race named after him one day. Races are named for horses, jockeys, trainers and writers for different reasons. While some may not risk their lives on a daily basis, it does not diminish their contribution to horse racing. Now when it comes to races in Florida like the Shirley Jones and Joe Namath, those were named before my time and I couldn't tell you the exact reason why those people got honored. BTW, which great horse do you feel deserves a race named ater him that is being snubbed right now?

jballscalls
11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Both PM and EmD have "the Dennis Dodge Stakes" named after our longtime DRF writer who passed away. Both are 2 year old races because those were his favorite, and all i've heard has been positive responses for naming the races after DD.

Bochall
11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
The Woody Stephens at Bel is another. Surely something will be named after Bobby. Wonder what he would have wanted to be named after him...a race? a retirement fund for horses? a farm for retired runners? From what I've read about him it wouldn't be a race. It would be something like a foundation to help animals of ANY kind.

toussaud
11-17-2009, 05:14 PM
rename the triple bend. I always thought that was a stupid name anyway.

fmolf
11-17-2009, 05:32 PM
the" Bobby Frankel Brooklyn Handicap"...he was a native New yawker!Hailing from Brooklyn I might add.

FenceBored
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I can't think of anyone that disagreed with the Turf Classic at Belmont being named the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic. Same with the Murray, Whittingham and the Shoemaker in California. I think it is a lock that Allen Jerkens will have a race named after him one day. Races are named for horses, jockeys, trainers and writers for different reasons. While some may not risk their lives on a daily basis, it does not diminish their contribution to horse racing. Now when it comes to races in Florida like the Shirley Jones and Joe Namath, those were named before my time and I couldn't tell you the exact reason why those people got honored. BTW, which great horse do you feel deserves a race named ater him that is being snubbed right now?

I see your Shirley Jones and raise you the Florence Henderson at IND (also home of the A.J. Foyt). But Tod Sloan, Hoosier born jockey, Racing Hall of Famer, and inspiration for George M. Cohan's Little Johnny Johns, nope.

stu
11-17-2009, 09:14 PM
rename the triple bend. I always thought that was a stupid name anyway.

Triple Bend won 10 of 29 races including 6 stakes events including a new world record in the 1972 Los Angeles Handicap at Hollywood Park, 7f in 1:19.80

His name is a hybrid of his sire and dam, Never Bend and Triple Orbit respectively. In 1979, Hollywood Park Racetrack renamed the Lakes And Flowers Handicap in honor of Triple Bend.

My favorite Triple Bend Invitational Handicap was the Frankel-trained Mazel Trick who scored a victory in 1:19.97.

postpicker
11-17-2009, 09:42 PM
I see your Shirley Jones and raise you the Florence Henderson at IND (also home of the A.J. Foyt). But Tod Sloan, Hoosier born jockey, Racing Hall of Famer, and inspiration for George M. Cohan's Little Johnny Johns, nope.

Couldn't IND get the Jim Nabors Stakes or David Letterman Handicap for geldings

toussaud
11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Triple Bend won 10 of 29 races including 6 stakes events including a new world record in the 1972 Los Angeles Handicap at Hollywood Park, 7f in 1:19.80

His name is a hybrid of his sire and dam, Never Bend and Triple Orbit respectively. In 1979, Hollywood Park Racetrack renamed the Lakes And Flowers Handicap in honor of Triple Bend.

My favorite Triple Bend Invitational Handicap was the Frankel-trained Mazel Trick who scored a victory in 1:19.97.

lmao. i'm pretty young (26). I'm not going to tell you that I thought it was called the triple bend becuase I thought the race had 3 turns in it.

I remember the first time I saw the race I was like "man.. this looks like a pretty regular sprint race to me, what's so special about it?" Never did I think triple bend was a HORSE lol

Paseana
11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
When the Pacific Classic didn't become the John C Mabee Memorial Pacific Classic, I figured that race is pretty untouchable. The Ramona was re-named for Mabee instead, which was probably the right thing to do.

If the SoCal community wants to re-name a graded stakes for Bobby Frankel, I would expect them to look at the three F&M turf races which are currently named for cities. The Santa Ana, the Santa Barbara, and the Beverly Hills would seem to me to be the most likely candidates. The fact that they are all races for females makes any one of them particularly appropriate (Bobby loved his girls most of all). The Arcadia or the San Luis Obispo.......or even the San Luis Rey might be possibilities as well.

I really believe that the Yellow Ribbon, San Juan Capistrano, the American, and of course, the American Oaks are pretty invulnerable.

nijinski
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
More than likely someone will name one of Ghostzappers babies after him.

Greyfox
11-18-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm sure Bobby will have a race named after him, which race do we think it should be? Is there a particular race that could use a name change?

What race would you rename in honor of Bobby?

You are probably right. A race will probably be named after him. He was a great trainer. Obviously a turf race would be considered.
Having said that I personally don't believe in races named as memorials.
Sorry, but that's just the way I think.

alhattab
11-18-2009, 07:51 AM
With 8 wins in each, how about either the Bobby Frankel Matriarch or the Gamely Bobby Frankel?

The Matriarch I agree. That or the Pacific Classic

Moyers Pond
11-18-2009, 04:12 PM
There's something at Hollywood Park.

Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap GI
$300,000
3 year olds and up
1 1/4 Miles (turf)

I don't think he should have a grade 1 named after him either.

No grade 1's should ever be named after people. It is about the horse, not the trainer.

However, Frankel is not in the same league as Charlie Whittingham. Frankel has a huge hole in his resume. Without a KY Derby win you really can't be considered one of the truly greats. Frankel is like a Dan Marino. An incredible talent that could never win the big one. Frankel was still great though but the first question anyone wants to know about a trainer is if they won the KY Derby. Winning the Derby doesn't make you a great trainer, but not winning it is just a very large empty spot in a trainer's resume.

toussaud
11-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't think he should have a grade 1 named after him either.

No grade 1's should ever be named after people. It is about the horse, not the trainer.

However, Frankel is not in the same league as Charlie Whittingham. Frankel has a huge hole in his resume. Without a KY Derby win you really can't be considered one of the truly greats. Frankel is like a Dan Marino. An incredible talent that could never win the big one. Frankel was still great though but the first question anyone wants to know about a trainer is if they won the KY Derby. Winning the Derby doesn't make you a great trainer, but not winning it is just a very large empty spot in a trainer's resume.

to call frankel anything but great is a disgrace.

just beucase he takes his time with his hosres and doesn't push them that hard that early doesn't mean he's not great.

that's BS.

Moyers Pond
11-18-2009, 04:24 PM
to call frankel anything but great is a disgrace.

just beucase he takes his time with his hosres and doesn't push them that hard that early doesn't mean he's not great.

that's BS.

He was great. But he lacks the biggest prize in the sport.

I think you have to distinguish between the greats and the "greats". It is like Joe Montana vs Dan Marino. Marino was great, but he just can't be mentioned in the same sentence as a guy that won the big one.

Winning the biggest event in any sport is what distinguishes a great from the immortals.

Moyers Pond
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't like naming grade 1's after people, but the more I think about it the more I think they should do something like the Bobby Frankel challenge.

A series of races that he won with a bonus.

I still think Hollywood and Saratoga should just name a room after him and put televisions in it for trainers to watch races.

Stillriledup
11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
He was great. But he lacks the biggest prize in the sport.

I think you have to distinguish between the greats and the "greats". It is like Joe Montana vs Dan Marino. Marino was great, but he just can't be mentioned in the same sentence as a guy that won the big one.

Winning the biggest event in any sport is what distinguishes a great from the immortals.

So, you're saying that Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino?

Moyers Pond
11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
So, you're saying that Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino?

No. Your confusing the argument.

Winning a superbowl doesn't make you great.

However, you can't be one of the greatest without every winning one.

Marino can never be mentioned in the same sentence as Montana, Brady, or Manning. They all found ways to win it all. Marino didn't.

Stillriledup
11-18-2009, 06:31 PM
No. Your confusing the argument.

Winning a superbowl doesn't make you great.

However, you can't be one of the greatest without every winning one.

Marino can never be mentioned in the same sentence as Montana, Brady, or Manning. They all found ways to win it all. Marino didn't.

Why does winning one NOT make you great? If i said Dilfer is great because he won a Super Bowl, who are you to argue?

Stillriledup
09-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Is there an RJ Frankel stake? Did any track get around to naming one after him?

Paseana
09-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Yes.....the San Gorgonio GII at 9F for fillies & mares at Santa Anita was renamed for Bobby a couple of years ago.....The Robert J. Frankel Stakes.

That actually was pretty appropriate, not only because it's for F&Ms on the grass, but he actually won the race three times for sure with Tate's Creek, Megahertz, and Citronnade, and there might have been a fourth with Wandesta, but I couldn't remember 100% that he trained her. If someone can confirm that he did, that that DOES make it four wins in that race.

It was also nice that they didn't have to take the race name away from a horse or another person.

Stillriledup
09-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Yes.....the San Gorgonio GII at 9F for fillies & mares at Santa Anita was renamed for Bobby a couple of years ago.....The Robert J. Frankel Stakes.

That actually was pretty appropriate, not only because it's for F&Ms on the grass, but he actually won the race three times for sure with Tate's Creek, Megahertz, and Citronnade, and there might have been a fourth with Wandesta, but I couldn't remember 100% that he trained her. If someone can confirm that he did, that that DOES make it four wins in that race.

It was also nice that they didn't have to take the race name away from a horse or another person.

Thanks. You're right, this was the perfect race to name in his honor.