PDA

View Full Version : fla derby moved to another date

bisket
11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
what's in the cheerios in the excutive suite at gulfstream? now the race is 6 weeks before the derby instead of 5 weeks. nobody could figure why it was 5 weeks. at 6weeks you almost have to run in another race before the derby :rolleyes:

CBedo
11-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I thought I must have miscounted or something when I first saw that. Six weeks is a weird time frame, almost too close for another race, and too far to be final prep.

cj
11-16-2009, 10:18 PM
what's in the cheerios in the excutive suite at gulfstream? now the race is 6 weeks before the derby instead of 5 weeks. nobody could figure why it was 5 weeks. at 6weeks you almost have to run in another race before the derby :rolleyes:

Actually, six weeks isn't bad if you plan on running one more. That is how it used to be anyway, the Florida Derby then one more big one before the Derby.

FenceBored
11-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Run the Wood and the SA Derby on the same day, alright.
Run the Bluegrass and the Arkansas Derby on the same day, not a problem.
Run the Florida Derby and the Lousiana Derby on the same day, no way!

A G2 moves to the same day as a G1 and the G1 MOVES? :faint:

bisket
11-17-2009, 04:24 PM
hey i'm with ya on that cj, but in today's world thats not realistic. the race is pretty much in no-mans land now. in my book this race was still the #1 prep eventhough it was 5 weeks and some connections didn't use it because of that. out of all the tracks that have graded derby preps gulfstream had the closest surface to churchill. if a horse ran well at gulfstream you knew the steed would do the same in the derby. gulfstream is my favorite meet of all. you can always get good prices because most of the horses haven't raced against each other previously. without this lots of handicappers are lost. if you have a good working knowledge of all the different circuits you can make some dough $$. its a rare occasion when you see a favorite at even odds or less the first 2 months of the meet.