PDA

View Full Version : Why Europe Feels Rejected by Obama

ArlJim78
11-16-2009, 04:26 PM
I thought the world was enthralled by Dear Leader? I thought he was restoring our image and earning the accolades of world leaders. So far the only world leaders that seem excited are Fidel Castro and the Nobel committee. In this article from the Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/world/europe/17iht-politicus.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all), some Europeans are looking back at Bush with fondness.

__________________________________________________ ________
Why would an American president not come to a celebration marking the fall of the Berlin Wall, and with it, the triumphant end of the Cold War — one of the high points of the United States’ and Europe’s common 20th-century history?

Whatever the exact answer — and it could be that a fatigued Barack Obama didn’t want the physical strain of a trans-Atlantic trip days before a weeklong tour of Asia — his absence from the Nov. 9 ceremonies in Germany has reinforced Europe’s fear that it has become an increasingly insignificant part of the president’s worldview...

Now, Denis MacShane, a former British minister for Europe, who met with other Atlanticists at the NATO Parliamentary Assembly in Edinburgh over the weekend, describes the circumstances this way: “There’s a growing worry everywhere in Europe that we have the first U.S. president since 1945 to show no interest in what’s happening on this side of the relationship.”

In Germany, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, a newspaper that knows Chancellor Angela Merkel well, has written ironically of how little has changed, outside atmospherics, from the Bush to Obama administrations in attitudes toward Germany.
“The truth is that Bush was more interested in Europe than Obama. Obama is very disappointing in terms of foreign policy. It’s not only with me that relations are difficult. It’s the same with Merkel and Brown. The words have changed. The hand was extended. But no one has grasped it.”

__________________________________________________ _________
My comments to the European leaders; don't take it personally. He's also the first president in history to despise The United States. How do you think it feels over here?

boxcar
11-16-2009, 04:40 PM
The only hands BO is interested in grasping are those of dictators, commies and tyrants. BO is their hope for global recognition and acceptance as legitimate mainstream players on the world stage.

Boxcar