PDA

View Full Version : TVG Talking Head

Tom
11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Hold on there, OTM Al, it's not December yet! :D

This is a compliment to TVG!

They are airing on XM Raido now, so I can listen at lunchtime in the car.
On Mondays, Rich Perloff has been on alone and he is actually talking sense on the air. He is teaching new fans about how to handicap by talking about angles and useful handicapping stuff instead of the normal head-to-head nonsense that goes on. I think the stuff he is doing is the stuff that might actually teach newbies how to look at a race and pick a horse. Unlike the focus on pic 6 tics, which is the road to ruin for most, and certainly not what you wnat to be telling new comers to be playing, his stuff is the stuff that gives an understanding of the game so that peoplemight really get interessted and come back.

Kudos to Rich for being a good talking head.

Canarsie
11-16-2009, 01:19 PM

On Mondays, Rich Perloff has been on alone and he is actually talking sense on the air. He is teaching new fans about how to handicap by talking about angles and useful handicapping stuff instead of the normal head-to-head nonsense that goes on. I think the stuff he is doing is the stuff that might actually teach newbies how to look at a race and pick a horse. Unlike the focus on pic 6 tics, which is the road to ruin for most, and certainly not what you wnat to be telling new comers to be playing, his stuff is the stuff that gives an understanding of the game so that peoplemight really get interessted and come back.

He's my favorite by far this is no photo. He even says the only time he plays a P6 is when the pool gets extremely large. How many other guys on TV say "stop by my bar and the drinks are on me when I Make a score".

johnhannibalsmith
11-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Rich is a refreshing pleasure to listen to. Generally, I can't bear to have the volume on for very long, it just grates on me to listen to almost anyone else for very long (love ya' Nick, but it sounds like a kettle about to boil after too long). Rich, on the other hand, is like having a good talk-radio show going in the background - you can tune in and out at your whim - and as Tom pointed out, he's pretty good at debunking myths and acknowledging truths.

Plus he's a super nice person...

OTM Al
11-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the warning Tom! There is enough confusion right now otherwise for me.

BTW, while I still like the station, signing up for a TVG account is a pain in the rear for NY residents. Wanted it so I could get the other half of international coverage Twin Spires doesn't have. Quite annoying and time consuming really though much is probably due to NY State regs which for some reason forces me to somehow go through Yonkers.....

alhattab
11-16-2009, 03:19 PM

I had the pleasure of being home sick last Monday and Tuesday, and I say pleasure b/c I had TVG tuned in and Mr. Perloff was on the air. He is very good and I agree probably the best they have.

But this wouldn't be PA w/out a TVG gripe. Greg Wolf seems like a nice enough guy, but please stop trying to make him something he isn't. Just let him be an anchor and don't make him try to host :58 flat or go toe-to-toe w/Mike Watchmaker (it must drive Watchmaker nuts!).

FlyinLate
11-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Most TVG announcers have their goods and bads.
Rich Perloff, IMO, is hands down top class over there.
The only host who throroughly analyzes WHY he made his selections which have even had me catch things I've missed in a horse.

Most only play one angle (Matt on speed horses).

I find myself tolerable of Greg Wolf and Simon Bray from a host standpoint.
I find Todd Schrupp, Dave Weaver, and Mike Joyce to actually be entertaining as hosts.

Matt, Ken, Mr. B and the rest present no value to me.

rokitman
11-16-2009, 04:09 PM
I just thank godd that the TVG talking head critics are not- in some demented, cruel joke born of the devil Herself- suddenly on the air, in daily rotation, in place of the current cast.

Wickel
11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Perloff's insighful, entertaining ... and he's not a bad handicapper, either. Always a pleasure to begin my week with RP.

BombsAway Bob
11-17-2009, 01:47 AM
TVG talent working the Monday/Tuesday shifts have one of the most difficult handicapping jobs at the network. East Coast weekday tracks often don't post late scratches/track conditions until within an hour to post; there's an endless parade of Bottom-level-maidens and conditioned-claiming races with little room for handicapping creativity; & working solo on-air has to get tired after a while!
Rich Perloff is up-front and consistant in his plan of attack on putting out On-Air tickets. He sticks to two tracks for advance handicapping & tickets. Other tracks shown when he's on-air he goes over much as if you & I were at the OTB, picked up PP's, & started 4-minute speed'capping. With a majority of the races run during his shift, it's more than enough time to get a feel for the race shape & contenders.
Nick, Nancy, John Lies, & Frank Mirahmadi are really stuck behind the Eight-Ball working on the second shift. Trying to get early changes-conditons while on-air working solo isn't a job I'd wish on anyone!
I think TVG should emulate their coverage of Australian racing with Mountaineer,& show a 2-3 minute simo-feed of Mark & Nancy going over the upcoming races. For example, Mark & Nancy first go on about 13 minutes before the first race. Mountaineers' opening would be great for TVG to air, talking about track condition, any track bias from the night before, stuff that makes Mountaineers' Simo feed a must-see when wagering there. TVG could even tape it for delayed airing if live races are airing, & show it before 7PM post. It's a decent break for the person working "The Handicapsule", too!

NJ Stinks
11-17-2009, 02:27 AM
I really enjoy Rich Perloff on Mondays and Tuesdays too. And I think Rich is better going solo.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Cubbymac26
11-17-2009, 03:27 AM
if I had to go to the track with any tvg host it would be rich perloff..

I guess because of his professionalism and just straight up horse talk with no nonsense tvg decides to stick him on dayshift...

I love it when somebody sends him a dumb email and he blasts them hahahaha

Rich p and john leis are rock solid

Marshall Bennett
11-17-2009, 08:40 AM
I really enjoy Rich Perloff on Mondays and Tuesdays too. And I think Rich is better going solo.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Ditto , far and away the best at TVG .

deathandgravity
11-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Rich Perloff :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
11-17-2009, 08:58 AM
the best on TVG is by DONNA BARTONBROTHERS and i have only seen her on TVG for the keeneland meet. if he is still on, FRANK LYONS has some knowledge behind him.

all the other's are handed a piece of paper with the picks on them. they then try to make a case for their picks. perloff does a better job than the rest, he at least makes more sense than the others.

i will clarify what i mean, lots of times a horse comes out of a race that is say a maiden $40k@philladelphia park, and now is in for maiden $25k. so they not tell you that the horse that came out of the $40k race was a better race than what he is in today. that is not always the case, and from what i see, it is rarely the case these days.

the thing i really can't stand is the way they present their information, how they frequently boast how good they are so you should follow them and play their high takeout pick 4 and pick 6 tickets.

perloff pushes his tickets and rants how bad bridgejumping is, and how big a sucess he is going against negative pools without handicapping.

cj
11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
I wonder if the TVG management enjoyed him telling listeners they should pull their money out when they hit a big one and only keep a few hundred dollars in at a time.

Tom
11-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I bet that went over real well! :eek:

Hajck Hillstrom
11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
It is my hope that Betfair will recognize Rich Perloff as their preeminent analyst at the network and shake up the lineup accordingly.

BombsAway Bob
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I wonder if the TVG management enjoyed him telling listeners they should pull their money out when they hit a big one and only keep a few hundred dollars in at a time.
...so that's what I've been doing wrong the past 45 months :eek: