PDA

View Full Version : WALMART SCAM

HUSKER55
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
It hit the news here. You buy $150 in groceries and then you swipe your card and walk out the door. Problem is that the cash register was set to return $20 in cash which never happens.

Walmart will not refund the money. One clerk got caught and said, "that machine has been acting up all day". But she wasn't going to check until the lady noticed a mistake.

Watch out!

This scam could take place anywhere. Want to know the kicker? Depending on where you are at the Banks will take Walmarts side and not help you one bit.

According to my banker, once you sign that agreement you are bound by the terms and they have no recourse.

BUYER BEWARE!!

boxcar
11-16-2009, 12:35 PM
It hit the news here. You buy $150 in groceries and then you swipe your card and walk out the door. Problem is that the cash register was set to return $20 in cash which never happens.

Walmart will not refund the money. One clerk got caught and said, "that machine has been acting up all day". But she wasn't going to check until the lady noticed a mistake.

Watch out!

This scam could take place anywhere. Want to know the kicker? Depending on where you are at the Banks will take Walmarts side and not help you one bit.

According to my banker, once you sign that agreement you are bound by the terms and they have no recourse.

BUYER BEWARE!!

How can that happen? The consumer is prompted at the pin pad as to whether he/she wants cash back or not. And if so, the person enters in the amount, etc., and then the customer is prompted again to verify the transaction -- to verify the amount is correct.

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
11-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I love CASH!!!!!

wisconsin
11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
How can that happen? The consumer is prompted at the pin pad as to whether he/she wants cash back or not. And if so, the person enters in the amount, etc., and then the customer is prompted again to verify the transaction -- to verify the amount is correct.

Boxcar

I don't think it's possible with the system in place tight now. You can't get money back without a pin number, and like boxcar said, you have to verify not once, but twice.

HUSKER55
11-16-2009, 12:46 PM
That is what I thought but it hit the news (channel 6 last night) and the police are involved. I guess there are a ton of people who never check anything.

My thinking is that you would have to program the signature pad, meaning this is deliberate. I don't know.

Be careful guys and girls.

Check everything.

Dave Schwartz
11-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Our son (who is away at collge) has an account at B of A. One night he went into a gas station in SoCal and put in $10 worth of gas using his ATM and pin number.

The charge came back $98.

B of A said that "whenever you enter your pin number you have limited fraud protection."

Their definition of "fraud protection" for our son was to contact the gas station's accounting department and ask if the charge was correct.

The moral of the story? Use your ATM as a credit card whenever you can.

Canarsie
11-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I hate to inform you of this but please click the link.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp

I'm not boasting but I have been on the net a long time (before WWW) and 98% or more of these posted are rubbish. One time my wife called me about a missing child in Mn sometime in the 90's. Those days were way different I drove up to where she works with the printed article and her boss had egg on his face.

The moral of the story is that if it really is unbelievable it probably is.

jballscalls
11-16-2009, 01:48 PM
i made the mistake of going to a walmart once, never again

Robert Goren
11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
The first time I heard this story the store was Sears.

Bochall
11-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm not getting the scam. Is everyone overcharged by $20 and the cashier keeps it? The register is set to count that 20 as cash back without the customer knowing? Or are folks soooooo dumb that they ask for cash back and then leave without it? Maybe i am the dumb one, cuz i dont get it.

boxcar
11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm not getting the scam. Is everyone overcharged by $20 and the cashier keeps it? The register is set to count that 20 as cash back without the customer knowing?

Yes, that's the alleged scam; but I don't believe it's possible because the customer controls debit transactions.

Or are folks soooooo dumb that they ask for cash back and then leave without it? Maybe i am the dumb one, cuz i dont get it.

Absolutely! I'm told that people leave without their cash fairly often. Usually, the cashier forgets to give the cash back and the customer forgets to ask for it. Most of these are honest mistakes. The till will be over when it's reconciled at the end of the cashier's shift, and if the customer remembers to come for his/her money, the manager or bookkeeper will make good on it.

Boxcar

Bochall
11-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Reminds me of an old saw i once heard."Smart folk and dumb folk usually get what they deserve."