PDA

View Full Version : Can scare money win?

FindaWay
11-16-2009, 07:36 AM
I've been playing this game 24 years, and i've never in position where i was betting scared money.My wife just recently got laid off .With 1 income in the househould the next couple of months will be tough(til she finds employment).I consider myself above average handicapper.Now im in a position where i cant afford to lose any money.I pose the question can SCARED money ever win at the track?Im tempted to try it,but i know this game is humbling.Has anyone on this forum ever been in a positon where they were betting SCARED money?Risk ore take time off>

Pell Mell
11-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Betting with scared or borrowed money is the worse possible position one can be in! Don't even think about it.

I have seen many bettors ruin themselves financially and mentally. You will go from bad to worse and the pressure can make you do things you may have never thought of doing. Under no circumstance should you do this. You may lose a lot more than money.:(

098poi
11-16-2009, 08:43 AM
I've been playing this game 24 years, and i've never in position where i was betting scared money.My wife just recently got laid off .With 1 income in the househould the next couple of months will be tough(til she finds employment).I consider myself above average handicapper.Now im in a position where i cant afford to lose any money.I pose the question can SCARED money ever win at the track?Im tempted to try it,but i know this game is humbling.Has anyone on this forum ever been in a positon where they were betting SCARED money?Risk ore take time off>

You've kind of answered your own question. No reason to gamble if you can't afford it. One of the great things about the current state of racing (:eek: ) is you can handicap any number of races and not wager and still get some enjoyment out of it. Pre inter-track wagering I know if I went to the track I was going to wager. Now I can log in to Youbet, handicap and watch the race and not spend a dime. Is winning without a wager the same as winning with one? No, but losing hurts a lot less, especially when you can't afford it. You asked for advice, I suggest you take it. Best of luck to you. (I recently became unemployed myself so I must follow my own advice :D )

JPinMaryland
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Scared money can win. The only money that cannot win is money that is not wagered. Think positive. :jump:

SMOO
11-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Money seems to be scared of my wallet. :(

bisket
11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
be a man!! this is not the time to be wagering money you don't have. only wager money you can stand to lose because a losing streak is always possible, and this isn't the time to take the chance. get back on your feet, and then have fun at the track.

46zilzal
11-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Scared money does one of two things BOTH BAD.

1) shoot for the fences in betting ridiculous long shots
2) look to simply protect your bankroll and having an negative ROI anyway

riskman
11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
Erica Jong

magwell
11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Can scared money win ? yes maybe once every 20 yrs...... you cant be serious.

ENT222
11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Scared money does not win because you will second guess yourself, not bet the way you noramlly bet and just bet races you would not noramlly wager on. One big that it will do and I'm speaking from experience is mess up your betting strategy once you are able to play again. Although you have the ability to spend the money you are thinking you "can't lose" because you have become acustomed to that thinking/strategy. This will mess you up for a week, weeks maybe months. This I'm sure has happened to many of us. What I have done is when I can't play is still continue watch and pick my horses, not determine the type of wagers, rather see how they do. If the horses are there regardless of what could have been you have the confidence when you are able to play at the appropriate time. Hope this helps.

hazzardm
11-17-2009, 03:17 PM
I've been playing this game 24 years, and i've never in position where i was betting scared money.My wife just recently got laid off .With 1 income in the househould the next couple of months will be tough(til she finds employment).I consider myself above average handicapper.Now im in a position where i cant afford to lose any money.I pose the question can SCARED money ever win at the track?Im tempted to try it,but i know this game is humbling.Has anyone on this forum ever been in a positon where they were betting SCARED money? Risk or take time off

Take up poker ;)

cmoore
11-17-2009, 04:53 PM

I think we've all played with scared money at one point in our lives. Some are reluctant to admit it. One Friday night about 20 years ago I took my IRoc Z 350 tune port injection car payment money to Northfield park. It was 294 bucks to be exact. I walked out with over 2 grand :jump:..I didn't bet like it was scared money. But I was a kid who just didn't give a rats ass then. :D Now that's something I wouldn't do today if I was in that position again. Maybe I would only take half of it and if I lost..Then I would call the bank and ask to make an interest only payment..:lol:

By the way. That car would do 145 mph. I had the speedometer buried over 50x. Ran from the cops twice and got away both times. :eek: Damn was that stupid.

Track Collector
11-17-2009, 06:31 PM
The argument as to whether or not scared money can win is irrelevant.

If you can not afford to lose the money because it is needed to pay for other essential things then you simply should not use it in an at-risk situation (like horseracing).

I think you knew ahead of time the flavor of advise you would receive, and perhaps you were "hoping" that some would encourage you to go ahead and wager anyway. Like the rest of life, the real issue here involves personal responsibility. Should you choose to wager with scared money and then lose, you rightfully DESERVE all the pain and unwanted consequences that go with unwise decisions. (This is not meant to be a personal attack, but rather to drive home the point that bad decisions naturally are accompanied by some type of pain and/or discomfort, which is life's way of pushing us back into making better, more educated decisions.).:)

Hopefully your financial situation will improve, and at some future time you can return to an enjoyable hobby and challenge with monies which can be viewed as disposable and used as entertainment.

strapper
11-18-2009, 12:22 PM
The bills in your wallet do not know they are scared. But I do think if you're under stress to play you need to cut WAY back and rebuild a bankroll.

windoor
11-18-2009, 07:42 PM
A good place to relate a story.

Some many years ago, my wife gave me $1275.00 to purchase some round-trip airline tickets for our family and in-laws Disney vacation. I was not working at the time as I was a (ahem!) professional handicapper and was making my living at the track.

My bankroll was nearly busted as an unusually long losing streak was taking its toll.
So, I took the cash to the track with me. I had some very good plays for the day, and had a good feeling on the outcome. I also had a triple planned for the tenth and final race with two top contenders at very long morning line odds.

Yep, you guessed it. I lost most all of it with a number of 2nd place finishes, (I play win only) and all exacta plays failed. I was down to $300 and some odd dollars and bet it all in the tenth. $100 on the win bet, I wheeled my top two contenders, top and bottom for the exacta and played a four-horse $3 triple box.

And said my prayers.

As the field turned for home, I had all four horses of the triple out in front with my win horse closing well for what looked liked a sure thing. The 9/5 favorite, in the race was also making a bid and was coming like he a rocket booster on his tail. My heart sank, as I watched him suck up two of my trip horses and ending my chance of a big payday.

Another short prayer and a promise later, the favorite pulled up and allowed me to cash my win bet, (14.20 with a $100 ticket) one of the exacta’s ($216 x 2) and the triple for $2400 and change. About $3,600 over all. I went straight to the airport to purchase the tickets and then straight home. Did not even go to the track the next day. I had another promise to keep and needed time to reflect on what I did.

I have kept my promises and have never done anything like it again. Much to wife’s surprise I went to church the next day too. Another promise kept.

Can scared money win? Maybe, but I for one, will never do it again.

Regards,

Windoor.

Stillriledup
11-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm much better with scared money. When i'm playing with 'found money' im more reckless and bet more races. When i have to win, i only bet the most choice plays out there, even if it means skipping entire days of racing without making 1 play. I'm better under pressure.

bisket
11-18-2009, 08:15 PM
don't be the guy in this song. its enjoyable to play the horses when your not injuring the people closest to you. when your gambling with the welfare of your loved ones. you cross the line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDpKeiYxOU&feature=related
one of my favorite songs :ThmbUp:

bisket
11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
still riled when i make a big hit; i empty my betting account and only leave enough to cover 3 cards of no winners. i've found if i leave the money there; i don't bet smart.

trying2win
11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Betting with scared or borrowed money is the worse possible position one can be in! Don't even think about it.

I have seen many bettors ruin themselves financially and mentally. You will go from bad to worse and the pressure can make you do things you may have never thought of doing. Under no circumstance should you do this. You may lose a lot more than money.:(

PELL MELL:

I agree with you. Very wise advice in your post. :ThmbUp:

T2W

Bettowin
11-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Poker?

Can I play?

badcompany
11-19-2009, 08:21 AM
What's the worst thing that can happen?

You end up homeless. Big deal. Roofs are overrated, anyway;)

1st time lasix
11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
I have a close friend who enjoys handicapping and over the years he has become very astute at selecting solid closers and the particular races where they are effective. Like all good cappers he also is familier with trainer angles/pace scenarios/speed figs/breeding et al. His big problem is "scared money" In the exotics like exactas and occasional tris he never gets enough coverage. I mean he may have properly identified a live 7-1 or 10-1 shot that catches first or second....but he failed to use enough of the other contenders {like a logical 3-1 shot} with his pick that pays handsomely. A direct result of being "too tight". Either his bankroll is not large or in my opinion he just "cares" about lhis osses more than he plays the upside. I have urged him to use the win and even place pool more often as a result.....but not a day goes by where he gets frustrated. NEVER PLAY WITH SCARED MONEY....it no longer is fun and the game is tough enough!

Jackal
11-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I think my signature says it all.

Zman179
11-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Truthfully, having myself been a scared money bettor many times over the years, including right now, scared money always loses. You might get lucky here and there, but you'll lose more often than you win. With scared money, you have to look at the game as strictly a hobby and not as a money-making tool.

As a scared money bettor you'll become more hesitant to play saver combinations, more likely to throw a horse out of a 2x2x2 Pick 3 part-wheel simply because of cost, and more likely to scrimp on other things like going fewer times to the concession stand, purchasing a $2 program instead of a $6 DRF, or not betting on a simulcast track because it involves purchasing another program and your bankroll is very low.

But you can still have a good time at the track betting with scared money; I've gone to the track with less than $20 numerous times, but you will have to change your mindset or it'll never work and you'll be broke in an hour. Go with X amount of dollars and leave your credit/debit cards at home. One time I went to Freehold with $8, that's right...eight bucks, and walked out with over $500. Another time I went to Aqueduct with exactly $25 in my pocket and finished the day with $5,000! However, if you find yourself betting money that you really cannot afford to lose such as rent money, then the last place you need to be is at the track.