PDA

View Full Version : List your top 5 "great, however they seem forgotten" races of all time

Jasonm921
11-14-2009, 02:52 AM
1. 1992 Gotham- Lure (before he was a turf monster) dead heats with Devil His Due.

2. 1994 BC Juvenile Fillies- Flanders beats Serena Song

3. 1991 Mother Goose-Meadow Star and Lite Lite in a thriller.

4. 1990 Met Mile-Criminal Type, Housebuster and Easy Goer (watch for Black Tie Affair's Odds in the beginning... one year shy of his HOY run).

5. 1993 Saratoga Special-Dehere's great turn of foot.

46zilzal
11-14-2009, 03:00 AM
1989 Preakness Sunday Silence Easy Goer
Noor Citation series pick one
1930 Jim Dandy defeats Gallant Fox and Whichone in the Travers
Fiddle Isle/Quicken Tree dead heat for the first time in a hundred grander
Typecast/Convenience match race

Hundreds more but those stick out

then there are the greatest of them all which happened in a 6 week spell in 1973

eastie
11-14-2009, 10:01 AM
*summer squall bullying his way through a hole that wasn't there in the hopeful
*spectacular bid's win in the strub, when relaunch was on a long lead before the Bid reeled him in and whistled in 1:57 4/5.
*bee bee bee beating Riva Ridge in the preakness.
*Red Bullet getting the jump on Fu Peg in the preakness
*Cigar tying the record

Cratos
11-14-2009, 11:15 AM
1. 1992 Gotham- Lure (before he was a turf monster) dead heats with Devil His Due.

4. 1990 Met Mile-Criminal Type, Housebuster and Easy Goer (watch for Black Tie Affair's Odds in the beginning... one year shy of his HOY run).

1. Dr. Fager, Vosburgh Hcp, 1968 – Ran 7f in world record time toting 139 pounds and defeats the top two sprinters at the time.

2. Secretariat, Belmont Stakes, 1973 – Very little can be said that is not already known.

3. Zenyatta, BC Classic, 2009 – Not only a great performance, but a great race call by Trevor Denman.

4. Forego, Marlboro Cup Hcp, 1976 – At the time watching this race at Belmont I never thought that Forego would get up for the win over Honest Pleasure.

5. Personal Ensign, BC Distaff, 1988 – This race was both elation and disappointing for me because I went to the Breeders’ Cup to specifically bet Winning Colors (and I did), but was foiled by Personal Ensign’s gallant effort in the slop.

toussaud
11-14-2009, 11:22 AM
ghostzapper v. saint liam in 04

GaryG
11-14-2009, 11:31 AM
1933 KY Derby - Fisher/Meade duking out on horseback

1965 Los Angeles Hcp - Native Diver/Viking Spirit 1:20 flat

1957 KY Derby - Shoe thinks 1/16 pole is the wire

1984 BC Classic - Gate Dancer/Wild Again/Slew Of Gold

1967 Gotham - Dr Fager/Damascus

cj
11-14-2009, 12:24 PM
No particular order:

Broad Brush winning the PA Derby after bolting.

Broad Brush nips Ferdinand by the slimmest nose possible in the Big Cap.

Bet Twice beating Alysheba and Lost Code in a thrilling Haskell.

Very Subtle just crushing Groovy in the BC Sprint with a scintillating display of speed.

Java Gold winning the Whitney over Gulch, Broad Brush, Gone West and Lac Ouimet among others.

CBedo
11-14-2009, 01:59 PM
My top 5 have little to do with the quality of the actual race. They all have something to do with either being there or making a score.

My top 5:

5) Birdstone's 2004 Belmont--a $74 winner in a major race won't ever be forgotten, especially since I was with 20 friends watching the race and they all had bet it because I felt so strongly about it.

4) Candy Ride in the Pacific Classic--my first Del Mar trip. My brother and I got a chance to spend the weekend together, arguing over Medaligia D'Oro versus Candy Ride. I always loved Candy Ride's smooth motion, and the way he traveled.

3) Some horse whose name I don't remember in a bottom level claimer at Delta Downs in 1985--I was about 14 and at Delta Downs with my grandfather. I had just read Quinn's The Best of Thoroughbred Handicapping, and had just discovered Quirin's Speed Points. After explaining to my grandfather how this horse who had finished dead last in his last four races by no less than 20 lengths had a huge speed point advantage and would get an easy lead and could hold on, he reluctantly bet $2 on it to win for me at 40/1. When he was ahead by 8 at the top of the stretch, I was going crazy; when he lost by a nose I was despondent...until my grandfather showed me that he had used my horse in the exacta with his top pick, the winner. It was the first time I remember my grandfather actually taking my strange horse racing logic seriously.

2) Instant Policy in a low level allowance at Aksarben in the late eighties. A cheap horse that my grandparent's owned that I was lucky enough to be at Aksarben when he got into the winner's circle. I'm not sure what was more memorable, the race or the all the high school girls who were staying at the HoliDome for a cheerleading camp. ;)

1) Empire Maker in the Belmont. According to my lines that day, Empire Maker on top of Ten Most Wanted & Funny Cide were overlaid exactas, but were underlaid the other way, so I only bet the exacta one way, and even to this day, was the biggest exacta I've ever bet. My girlfriend made her first bet ever that day $2 across the board on Ten Most Wanted, and when she was screaming for her horse down the stretch looking like he might get by Empire Maker, it's one of the few times I remember screaming at the TV, "NO, NO! WE WANT IT THIS WAY!" It took much explaining afterwards why I was yelling at her rooting against her horse!

Those were great races!

joanied
11-14-2009, 03:08 PM
There are so many, but 5 that I can think of without looking anything up:D ...

1- Foolish Pleasure's '76 Suburban Handicap
2- Beautiful Pleasure's BC Distaff Classic
3- Forego's Marlboro
4- Carry Back's Kentucky Derby...and the Metropolitan H'cap (beating Kelso):)
5- Jaipur & Ridan's incredible Travers

framarco
11-14-2009, 06:47 PM
1.Steve Cauthen winning on Hatten's Rose-January, 1977
2.Steve Cauthen winning on Turn & Count-multiple times-Winter, 1977
3. Steve Cauthen winning on Little Miracle-July, 1977-1st race back after injury
4.Steve Cauthen winning Belmont on Affirmed over Alydar-greatest race ever
5. Forego winning 4th straight Woodward-September, 1977-once upon a time, the Woodward decided championships and its winner was not denigrated

rokitman
11-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Named Race of the Year in 1999. The roof nearly blew off the stands. Shame ya can't hear the crowd on here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf7UIKALfM8)

joanied
11-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Named Race of the Year in 1999. The roof nearly blew off the stands. Shame ya can't hear the crowd on here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf7UIKALfM8)

:ThmbUp: yep...another fantastic race...nothing like two fantastic horses locked in combat like that...(I was rooting for Behrens in that one:) )

rokitman
11-14-2009, 07:22 PM
:ThmbUp: yep...another fantastic race...nothing like two fantastic horses locked in combat like that...(I was rooting for Behrens in that one:) )
My buddy with me that day had bet the most he had ever bet on Behrens.

joanied
11-14-2009, 07:28 PM
My buddy with me that day had bet the most he had ever bet on Behrens.

OHHHH...that hurts:faint: ...you forgot to tell him in horse racing, there is no such thing as a sure thing:) ...it was so close, shoulda been a dead heat!!

Dan H
11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
October 9, 2009 Oak Tree Race 8, West Ruler came from behind to beat Warren's Too Cool and put me in the short line at the OTB.

toetoe
11-14-2009, 10:16 PM
1987 B.C. Classic ... Ferdinand by a nostril over Alysheba.

alhattab
11-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Nice thread. Gets you thinking...

1. Holy Bull's Woodward (1994). "toyed with the best horses in training!"
2. Open Mind's Alabama (1989). Seemed hopelessly beaten top of stretch
3 Cigar's Oaklawn Handicap (1995). Arguably the best field he faced in East/West summit
4. The UNs at ACRC w/Star of Cozzene (vs Manilla?)
5. Left Bank's Whitney. Going from 7F to 1 1/8 and winning for fun

The 1990 Met holds a special place in my heart. I just turned 21 and couldn't stop talking about it in the few days before the race when it was apparent Housebuster and Easy Goer would hook up. Went to Bel with a bunch of friends and watched from rail. Criminal Type shocked them off 2 weeks' rest and turning back from I believe 1 3/16 Pimlico Special

bisket
11-14-2009, 11:29 PM
broad brush and ferdinand was one of mine :ThmbUp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAEZ-QRAts8
last years cash call. i want revenge almost got there, but was beaten by pioneer of the nile. pioneer may have been the most talented 3 year old of all of them last year. won't hear that from the guys who make the speed figs though. watch how i want revenge stops and changes course in the stretch, and just misses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8JGXnh9NGw
the bids malibu a few months before the strub. he set the standard for 7 furs while racing 4 wide on the turn at santa anita. that record still stands as the track record for dirt at sant anita. we were just discussing feats like this on another thread (routers winning sprints) the bid always gets overlooked in just about any category thats discussed so it doesn't suprise me he wasn't mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMWp7hOGrRc

Bochall
11-15-2009, 02:33 AM
1) Silver Charm's Dubai World Cup victory, which only strengthened my feeling that he was the grittiest horse i ever saw. Swain, Loup Sauvage and others made their runs at him one at a time in that ENDLESS Nad al Sheba stretch (damn thing fooled me every year as i thought they were nearing the wire only to have the camera pull back AGAIN)...sorry, i digress. His trouble line read, 'repelled all challenges'. Indeed.
2) Alphabet Soup wins the Classic. An uncanny imitation of the first BC Classic but with a fourth horse in the mix. Throw in the Cigar angle, Preakness winner Louis Q and the huge price on Alphabet and it's a all timer for me.

alhattab
11-15-2009, 07:01 AM
1987 B.C. Classic ... Ferdinand by a nostril over Alysheba.

This was a great race, with one of Durkin's best calls mixed in with wild crowd noise at HollyPark. A lot of people say the finish was deceptively close b/c Ferdinand was known to wait on horses. Shoe was nearly motionless in upper stretch as he waited to pass Judge Angelucci and Candi's Gold.

Classic ride and I don't care if people think it was deceptively close it was an absolute classic. I watched that in my college dorm with a bunch of non-racing fans and for a week a few of them kept repeating "the two Derby winners....hit the wire together!"