3. Avoid dirt horses on the AW
4. Be wary of New York-based horses in California
5. Don't take European horses for granted
6. Ballydoyle are prone to struggle outside Europe
7. Snooze and you lose
8. Two days is one too many
9. Front-runners have little chance on the AW
10. On turf, it is better to sit close to the pace than miles back

http://www.racingpost.com/blog/horse-racing/nicholas-godfrey/ten-things-we-learned-at-the-breeders-cup-part-one/652725/

http://www.racingpost.com/blog/horse-racing/nicholas-godfrey/ten-things-we-learned-at-the-breeders-cup-part-two/652728/

Cholly
11-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Compare the public excitement created by the BC to that of the Triple Crown, and you'll come up with two more:

1) If you want your premier event to attract attention from anyone other than "the choir", don't schedule it on a Saturday in November. Even the World Series shrinks away from competing w/ College Football. April/May/June is the sweet spot when little else of interest, sports-wise, is going on.
2) If you want to incite drama, and establish conclusively "who's best", then a 3-race series is the way to go.

toetoe
11-13-2009, 11:49 PM
2. Goldikova may be brilliant but she is also unfortunate

:confused:

chickenhead
11-14-2009, 12:36 AM
11. I shouldn't bet the Breeders Cup. Ever.

tzipi
11-14-2009, 12:58 AM
1. Good horses make good racing - wherever it is
3. Avoid dirt horses on the AW
4. Be wary of New York-based horses in California
5. Don't take European horses for granted
6. Ballydoyle are prone to struggle outside Europe
7. Snooze and you lose
8. Two days is one too many
9. Front-runners have little chance on the AW
10. On turf, it is better to sit close to the pace than miles back

http://www.racingpost.com/blog/horse-racing/nicholas-godfrey/ten-things-we-learned-at-the-breeders-cup-part-one/652725/

http://www.racingpost.com/blog/horse-racing/nicholas-godfrey/ten-things-we-learned-at-the-breeders-cup-part-two/652728/

Yes,you should always be scared of dirt horses on synthetic and ALWAYS be sure to bet turf horses on it,because it is turf. Do NOT BET Europeans in dirt races next year and be very careful about betting Cali horses who have not handled it before.

REMEBER before the synthetics Breeders Cup,turf horses were VERY,VERY rarely entered in the dirt races.

Bochall
11-14-2009, 01:14 AM
12) Aidan O'brien does not point to the Breeders Cup, hence his putrid record over the last 5yrs. He is almost always an underlay with his biggest horses as they have proven (and exhausted) themselves in the Euro classics. His Marathon winner this year beat an undistinguished field. Cloudys Knight is a nice horse and all, but, well...ya know.

Tom
11-14-2009, 10:07 AM
13) for every race, there will 2 days of arguing what happened and why.

JohnGalt1
11-14-2009, 10:11 AM
14) Don't bet O'Brien horses NOT on Lasix!

Bochall
11-14-2009, 10:46 AM
13) for every race, there will 2 days of arguing what happened and why. Damn, you mean we have to hash this out for 3 more weeks!?:D

my_nameaintearl
11-14-2009, 10:55 AM
5. Don't take European horses for granted(with first time lasix)

cosign

my_nameaintearl
11-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Despite seven Group 1 wins now, Goldikova has been unlucky enough to appear in the same seasons as some true greats.

Having been regularly overshadowed by Zarkava in 2008, she has now had to play second fiddle to Sea The Stars in Europe, and Zenyatta in the States.

Make no mistake, though: the French filly has to produce a performance right out of the top drawer to win her second Breeders' Cup Mile from her wide draw. Make it three and she'll have earned her place in the pantheon.

i was confused of this one until i read the article

toussaud
11-14-2009, 11:25 AM
anything o'brien sends over is autotoss to me. he's got a horrible BC record.

joanied
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Figure out a way to get the BC back to one huge day:)

toussaud
11-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Figure out a way to get the BC back to one huge day:)

is it even really THAT hard to do?

14 race card, start at 10am in the morning, regular post times.

maybe cut out the juve filly race. make them run with the boys on the turf. make it 13 races.

joanied
11-14-2009, 02:30 PM
is it even really THAT hard to do?

14 race card, start at 10am in the morning, regular post times.

maybe cut out the juve filly race. make them run with the boys on the turf. make it 13 races.

There ya go... easy as pie, if ya ask me... they tried the 2 days, and most would probably agree, it hasn't worked out all that well...only 35,000 for this year's Friday card...granted, if Zenyatta would have ran in the Distaff, they may have had more folks out...but Friday is just not a good day to hold a card like the BC's...and I don't think the handle was too good either.

No reason why they can't have all the races on one day...like toussaud says...early post time and then shave about 10 minutes of time off between races...it's very do-able...and you might not have to toss any of the races...
and since Churchill has lights, maybe the two Classics can run in prime time...no reason that they can't switch the race order around and put the Distaff Classic on just before the Classic...

Robert Fischer
11-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Two days is much better. More big pool races = a few extra opportunities for false favorites. Horses like Mastercraftsman being favored in a race he was doubtful to enjoy wouldn't have happened in the old format.

toussaud
11-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I do actually like the two days.'

I'd go the derby route and provide more time in between posts. more time in between posts = more bets.

joanied
11-14-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm not a handicapper...unless you count handicapping without betting:faint: ...
but isn't there as many betting opportunities in one day of 14 races...I guess you guys are talking about carry-over's?
And why would you want more time between races...I think there is too much time between races...you don't have enough time as it is now to make your bets?

Dan H
11-14-2009, 11:09 PM
1. Two BCs in a row on poly is better than one in a row in mud.

toussaud
11-14-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm not a handicapper...unless you count handicapping without betting:faint: ...
but isn't there as many betting opportunities in one day of 14 races...I guess you guys are talking about carry-over's?
And why would you want more time between races...I think there is too much time between races...you don't have enough time as it is now to make your bets?

i like it becuase after the first day, i got to go over some things, gregroup, revise some picks given the way the track was playing and how pepole were performing and have a hell of a saturday

bisket
11-14-2009, 11:32 PM
richard's kid isn't as good as the poor old bisket thought he was :blush:

joanied
11-15-2009, 10:27 AM
richard's kid isn't as good as the poor old bisket thought he was :blush:

Hey bisket....don't feel bad...no one in that race was as good as anyone thought they were...Zenyatta was there:D

joanied
11-15-2009, 10:29 AM
i like it becuase after the first day, i got to go over some things, gregroup, revise some picks given the way the track was playing and how pepole were performing and have a hell of a saturday

I can see your point...but if the BC went back to one day...can't you still get a feel for how the track is playing by using the card from the day before anyway?

Bochall
11-15-2009, 10:41 AM
One thing i learn every year is that there is so much more to learn. Ooooh, how Zen of me...pun alert!! I do prefer the new 2 day set up though. Gives a chance at some nightime review and a shot at redemption, although i have done great on both Fridays and putrid on Saturdays.