PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Horseplayers' Bill of Rights

Indulto
11-12-2009, 05:57 PM
As a horseplayer with an on-line, telephone, or on-track wagering account – or a registered participant in an on-track rewards program – who is interested in watching and/or wagering on any given pari-mutuel race in the United States, you have the right to:

1) View that race live via internet from any residential location in the United States

2) View a replay of any race involving a horse currently in training via the internet from any residential location in the United States.

3) Place a wager on that race at any racetrack, off-track simulcast center, or via the internet from any residential location in the United States.

4) If the wager you placed results in a pari-mutuel payout …
-A. Receive a payout reflecting the appropriate portion of the pari-mutuel pool minus takeout at an effective level that was negotiated by player representation to be the same regardless of where any wager on the race was accepted.
-B. Receive a payout reflecting breakage to the nearest cent.

5) Be represented by a body empowered through direct elections to …
-A. Negotiate equally effective takeout to be applied by all pari-mutuel bet-takers independent of wager size or wagering volume over time. (Said takeout could be based on pre-determined handle levels to ensure that growth supports purse levels and operating costs appropriately, but also to ensure that -- at any given level of handle -- the interests of all stakeholders (including bettors) remain in balance.)
-B. Maintain an “alternate steward” at designated live meets (perhaps funded by players) to
--1. Ensure consistency among steward decisions
--2. Monitor compliance with policies intended to prevent past-post wagers and cancellations
--3. Provide general feedback to players on other integrity issues
-C. Act as a liaison with industry executives and government representatives to ensure that the impact of contemplated policy changes on players will receive adequate consideration.

6) Be guaranteed protection for your personal information and funds entrusted to any bet-taking entity.

7) Receive free Past Performance data for that race with at least the basic statistical information available from the official results charts and official program changes.

8) Avail yourself of clean, functioning rest facilities, reasonably-priced food and beverages, and non-interruptible race call audio reception at any licensed racetrack or simulcast center.

andymays
11-12-2009, 06:02 PM
It sounds good to me. :ThmbUp:

How do we get there in my lifetime? (By the way I'm not ready to seven out any time soon)

tzipi
11-12-2009, 06:13 PM
As a horseplayer with an on-line, telephone, or on-track wagering account – or a registered participant in an on-track rewards program – who is interested in watching and/or wagering on any given pari-mutuel race in the United States, you have the right to:

1) View that race live via internet from any residential location in the United States

2) View a replay of any race involving a horse currently in training via the internet from any residential location in the United States.

3) Place a wager on that race at any racetrack, off-track simulcast center, or via the internet from any residential location in the United States.

-A. Receive a payout reflecting the appropriate portion of the pari-mutuel pool minus takeout at an effective level that was negotiated by player representation to be the same regardless of where any wager on the race was accepted.

-A. Negotiate equally effective takeout to be applied by all pari-mutuel bet-takers independent of wager size or wagering volume over time. (Said takeout could be based on pre-determined handle levels to ensure that growth supports purse levels and operating costs appropriately, but also to ensure that -- at any given level of handle -- the interests of all stakeholders (including bettors) remain in balance.)
-B. Maintain an “alternate steward” at designated live meets (perhaps funded by players) to
--1. Ensure consistency among steward decisions
--2. Monitor compliance with policies intended to prevent past-post wagers and cancellations
-C. Act as a liaison with industry executives and government representatives to ensure that the impact of contemplated policy changes on players will receive adequate consideration.

6) Be guaranteed protection for your personal information and funds entrusted to any bet-taking entity.

7) Receive free Past Performance data for that race with at least the basic statistical information available from the official results charts and official program changes.

8) Avail yourself of clean, functioning rest facilities, reasonably-priced food and beverages, and non-interruptible race call audio reception at any licensed racetrack or simulcast center.

Sounds good to me too :ThmbUp:

But will NEVER happen. If they were going to do this is would've been in last couple years to get the fans back and make new ones. But they did not and sold their souls and buisness to racinos. Racinos do not even want the racing part. It just something they're pretending to hold on to for now.

Stillriledup
11-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Comments on #1.

Breeders Cup won't let you watch streaming video of their races, they force you to watch ESPN. I think horseplayers would rather watch warmups at 5 mins to post rather than commercials. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

PaceAdvantage
11-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Comments on #1.

Breeders Cup won't let you watch streaming video of their races, they force you to watch ESPN. I think horseplayers would rather watch warmups at 5 mins to post rather than commercials. I don't know, maybe that's just me.Perhaps I'm mistaken, but wasn't streaming video of the Breeders' Cup available THIS YEAR on their website?

Stillriledup
11-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but wasn't streaming video of the Breeders' Cup available THIS YEAR on their website?

All i know is that when i went on Youbet, they said no video tune into ESPN to see the races.

OTM Al
11-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Nice thoughts but it's going to require 50 States all to work in unison. I'm not holding my breath. Here's the problems:

1) States rights issue

2) This would be easier than 1) since it would not allow for live wagering. Who pays for the maintenace of the web site?

3) Forget it. See #1

4) A) Again, takeout is set by States in many places.
B) This is feasible now with electronic betting. Just going to have to overcome laws about where the breakage goes...see #1

5) A) Again, totally unrealistic. Gov't will not give this away
B) Wrong answer to the problem. Stewards reports should be available as they are in many places overseas. Don't need another steward, just need transparancy.
C) This is the best possible use of such a group and is the place to try to start.

6) This should be a given. Of course it is your own fault by signing up with an illegal or fly by night organization because they promise you the sky and then rip you off.

7) Who's paying for it? Its not free to print.

8) The cleanliness issue often is the fault of horseplayers. I've been in Aqueduct before it opens. Its clean. Wait 15 minutes after they open the doors. Somebody has crapped on the floor in the restroom and its a mess already. I've watched people throw whole programs on the floor feet from trashcans that are completely empty because everyon just throws everything on the floor. As for the food, you don't like the prices, bring your own. I'll agree about the audio though. that is the responsibility of the plant.

These things are all nice, but what then is the horseplayer's responsibilities?

Tom
11-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I thought someone here in Selections posted that they were watching on the BC Website.

andymays
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I thought someone here in Selections posted that they were watching on the BC Website.

I think it was available on the Breeders' Cup website and Cal Racing but that's it.

the_fat_man
11-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Yeah

How exactly do any of these things keep someone who is good enough to win from winning?

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer sues the coffee company and settles, behind his lawyer's back, for unlimited daily cups of latte. I wonder if free SHEETS (or whatever he uses) would appease Indulto. It wouldn't make him a winner but it just might appease him. :rolleyes:

chickenhead
11-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I've been in Aqueduct before it opens. Its clean. Wait 15 minutes after they open the doors. Somebody has crapped on the floor in the restroom and its a mess already.

I asked you not to talk about this. I was trying to crap in the urinal, I just missed. Nobody's perfect.

andymays
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
:lol: That made the day! :ThmbUp:

speed
11-12-2009, 09:59 PM
:lol: That made the day! :ThmbUp:

Not for me

I had to clean it up

Indulto
11-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Nice thoughts but it's going to require 50 States all to work in unison. I'm not holding my breath. Here's the problems:

1) States rights issue

2) This would be easier than 1) since it would not allow for live wagering. Who pays for the maintenace of the web site?

3) Forget it. See #1

4) A) Again, takeout is set by States in many places.
B) This is feasible now with electronic betting. Just going to have to overcome laws about where the breakage goes...see #1

5) A) Again, totally unrealistic. Gov't will not give this away
B) Wrong answer to the problem. Stewards reports should be available as they are in many places overseas. Don't need another steward, just need transparancy.
C) This is the best possible use of such a group and is the place to try to start.

6) This should be a given. Of course it is your own fault by signing up with an illegal or fly by night organization because they promise you the sky and then rip you off.

7) Who's paying for it? Its not free to print.

8) The cleanliness issue often is the fault of horseplayers. I've been in Aqueduct before it opens. Its clean. Wait 15 minutes after they open the doors. Somebody has crapped on the floor in the restroom and its a mess already. I've watched people throw whole programs on the floor feet from trashcans that are completely empty because everyon just throws everything on the floor. As for the food, you don't like the prices, bring your own. I'll agree about the audio though. that is the responsibility of the plant.

These things are all nice, but what then is the horseplayer's responsibilities?Thanks for responding, OA.

1), 3) -- Don't Feds have authority to mandate equal rights/treatment for all citizens?

2) Player pays for any race none of whose contestants have been entered to run in last xx days?? Subscriptions?

4) A., 5) A. -- Govt. WILL give when handle gets low enough.

5) B. -- Sometimes input is required prior to the decision being made. An "alternate" would normally not be involved unless a) there were a conflict among the stewards or b) a potential DQ (or lack of one) was not consistent with the previous occurrence of similar circumstances ("alternate" would always query a database constructed for that purpose.) Just something to think about. ;)

6) Should be a given, but isn't. That's why it's there.:bang:

7) Would be a subset of a regular product. Player pays to print it.

8) Fostering cooperation and enforcing public nuisence laws would be a start. Everybody isn't a gourmet -- value menu pricing should be an alternative; especially with bootled water.

BTW this is only a starting point. Feel free to add items you think would be appropriate. Nothing will change if you don't believe it can and/or don't want it badly enough.

Indulto
11-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah

How exactly do any of these things keep someone who is good enough to win from winning?

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer sues the coffee company and settles, behind his lawyer's back, for unlimited daily cups of latte. I wonder if free SHEETS (or whatever he uses) would appease Indulto. It wouldn't make him a winner but it just might appease him. :rolleyes:tfm,
I guarantee you that free sheets would not improve my game, but their interpreation by certain of their users would go a long way. I personally would do about as well with a DRF minus Beyer, Moss, and even traditional DRF figures with variant, but I only play on weekends, holidays, and days with irresistable P6 carryovers.

The concept here is VERY SIMPLE. Treat customers fairly and respectfully and earn their return business.

Indulto
11-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I asked you not to talk about this. I was trying to crap in the urinal, I just missed. Nobody's perfect.:lol:
Certainly not the proposed document, but maybe with some serious feedback, it could have some value.

postpicker
11-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Indulto,
Your bill of rights will never happens. Look at your #1 proposal, NYRA is not allowed to show their races live on the internet because the NY State OTBs will not give them permission to. Strange as it may sound, that is the reality in NY.

andymays
11-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Most of it could and will happen when HANA or another group gets 50k or more members.

CBedo
11-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Can I also get a unicorn? :lol:

Indulto
11-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Indulto,
Your bill of rights will never happens. Look at your #1 proposal, NYRA is not allowed to show their races live on the internet because the NY State OTBs will not give them permission to. Strange as it may sound, that is the reality in NY.pp,
Thanks for responding.

It will never happen until enough horseplayers want it to happen and that desire is manifested in the form of significantly lower handle. All I'm trying to do right now is consider it from the standpoint of a consumer and a citizen.

Perhaps those who have a negative comment to offer could also come up with a potential improvement to the status quo that they feel should apply to all players.

andymays
11-13-2009, 02:17 PM
pp,
Thanks for responding.

It will never happen until enough horseplayers want it to happen and that desire is manifested in the form of significantly lower handle. All I'm trying to do right now is consider it from the standpoint of a consumer and a citizen.

Perhaps those who have a negative comment to offer could also come up with a potential improvement to the status quo that they feel should apply to all players.

It's about the numbers. You have to have 50k or more Horseplayers coordinating emails, phone calls, and not just to Racing Executives and Racing Officials. You have to get Reporters and their Editors to do some work on behalf of the people who buy their newspapers and visit their articles on line. It takes public pressure for the Tracks to do the right things. Numbers of members are the only answer!

Indulto
11-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Most of it could and will happen when HANA or another group gets 50k or more members.AM,
This could be a tool by which HANA or another group a could reach that size.

Indulto
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM

--1. Enhance consistency among steward decisions using prior DQ deliberation data base.

7) Avail yourself of reserved and unreserved seating at tables near monitors at any licensed racetrack or simulcast center.

8) Use a portable computing device at any track or simulcast center, and avail yourself of reserved seating at tables with access to electrical power at any licensed racetrack or simulcast center.

9) Avail yourself of non-interruptible race call audio reception at any licensed racetrack or simulcast center.

10) Receive free Past Performance data on-line for that race with at least the basic statistical information available from the official results charts and official program changes.

11) Avail yourself of clean, functioning rest facilities, reasonably-priced food and beverage alternatives (including bottled water) at any licensed racetrack or simulcast center.

12) Receive attentive personal security protection any licensed racetrack, simulcast center, and is associated parking areas.

miesque
11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Can I also get a unicorn? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

andymays
11-13-2009, 02:25 PM
AM,
This could be a tool by which HANA or another group a could reach that size.

If they wanted to get more members they could be on the weekend Radio Shows to get more exposure. Most Horseplayers pick one thing they don't like and decide not to join. When and if they get on the air and explain that you don't have to be in total agreement of every issue (if that's the case) people will join. Most of them will join on an impulse while the show is on. Just one method. ;)

If they came out and said they condemn synthetic surfaces and they are bad for racing they'd get 10k in the first 24 hours. ;) :lol:

Indulto
11-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Can I also get a unicorn? :lol:Are there 50K "serious handicappers” for whom Mr. Pricci suggested that HANA represents the “last best hope for their future …?”

andymays
11-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Are there 50K "serious handicappers” for whom Mr. Pricci suggested that HANA represents the “last best hope for their future …?”

You have to get the members involved. The survey they recently did was an outstanding way to get something started but when you do something like that you have to keep it going with something else for the members to do.

Other than the war a few weeks ago about takeout in California, what do the members have to get fired up about?

The members need to be actively involved in some issues. Pressuring Tracks, Racing Officials, and members of the Racing Media.

When people get together for something they believe in, and then make an effort to change something, and then they see the mountain move even an inch, they get excited and push a little more!

chickenhead
11-13-2009, 02:34 PM

I'd reformulate it as such -- not as a Bill of Rights, but as a Code of Behavior.

Instead of "I have a right to.." it should be "I will not...., until/unless.."

Indulto
11-13-2009, 02:35 PM
If they wanted to get more members they could be on the weekend Radio Shows to get more exposure. Most Horseplayers pick one thing they don't like and decide not to join. When and if they get on the air and explain that you don't have to be in total agreement of every issue (if that's the case) people will join. Most of them will join on an impulse while the show is on. Just one method. ;)

If they came out and said they condemn synthetic surfaces and they are bad for racing they'd get 10k in the first 24 hours. ;) :lol:I think Zenyatta's BC victory set that approach back at least 6 months.

andymays
11-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I think Zenyatta's BC victory set that approach back at least 6 months.

Her Trainer has said over and over again that synthetic surface are one of the worst things ever for racing! That's why I like him! :lol:

CBedo
11-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Most of it could and will happen when HANA or another group gets 50k or more members.Do you really think it would take 50k? My feeling is that it's much less due to the old 80/20 rule. Definitely, size of membership is vitally important, but size of handle is probably even more important.

Indulto
11-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I'd reformulate it as such -- not as a Bill of Rights, but as a Code of Behavior.

Instead of "I have a right to.." it should be "I will not...., until/unless.."Good suggestion. At the very least, a consensus of the components could form the basis for a petition/recruitment drive.

andymays
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Good suggestion. At the very least, a consensus of the components could form the basis for a petition/recruitment drive.

Manifesto.

man·i·fes·to (mn-fst) KEY

NOUN:
pl. man·i·fes·toes or man·i·fes··tos
A public declaration of principles, policies, or intentions, especially of a political nature.

It's the right word but Manifesto sounds a little militant and scary. Count me in! :D

Indulto
11-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Her Trainer has said over and over again that synthetic surface are one of the worst things ever for racing! That's why I like him! :lol:The same trainer that won the feature on BOTH days.;)

andymays
11-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Do you really think it would take 50k? My feeling is that it's much less due to the old 80/20 rule. Definitely, size of membership is vitally important, but size of handle is probably even more important.

The Racing Executives look at the number of members. Especially some of the guys in California who I shall not name. I don't respect some of them at all and they need to be pressured right out of the business they have ruined.

In my own experience I know I've changed some small things by emailing Journalists, Racing Officials, and Racing Executives. When you do it you have to CC all of them so they have to respond. I've also pissed off many of them in the process. ;)

andymays
11-13-2009, 02:53 PM
The same trainer that won the feature on BOTH days.;)

Yes, I guarantee you that if he is asked today he will say the same thing.

Indulto
11-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes, I guarantee you that if he is asked today he will say the same thing.I'm sure he would. Are you familiar with the expression "cry all the way to the bank?" :lol:

andymays
11-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm sure he would. Are you familiar with the expression "cry all the way to the bank?" :lol:

Yes, the Connections and Shirreffs deserve every bit of the cash and the praise!

postpicker
11-13-2009, 03:38 PM
pp,
Thanks for responding.

While I can make numerous suggestions for improvement, I also do not look through rose colored glasses, I look through regular glasses and see reality. Overall the New York racing system is in worse shape than a senior citizen in a coma that is livng via a respirator. OTB will not give NYRA any breaks to improve themselves unless they can cut a deal to give themselves a bettter deal. Plus, you have the harness tracks to deal with and their power is unusually strong, mostly because of slots. Did you know that the harness tracks got a law passed that NY OTBs could not offer wagering on any thoroughbred track after 7pm on mondays. I guarantee that next year, the harness tracks will try and increase that law to other days of the week.

What I am saying is, when it comes to politics and doing the right thing for horseplayers, basically we as horseplayers got no shot because no one is on the same page and there are more powerful forces to turn us away with certain subjects. You want a lower takeout, educate and show the powers that be (in NY, the politicians) that the lower takeout will generate more handle on a regular basis. Show them the facts, not the theories. When it comes to quality of food and drinks, it goes back to whomever the tracks have a contract with. Customer service and cleainess of tracks, of course that is track responsibility. Getting to wager from home from non gambling states like north caroilina and georgia, you have a better chance of getting Hillary Clinton to pose for Playboy than having those religious anti-gambling states to change their mind on allowing intenet wagering. HANA has the ability to make a difference, we all do, but lets make sure people are on the same page to try and get the realistic changes to happen. Some things, if we look at it, will never happen and we must not waste our time with it.

Indulto
11-13-2009, 10:15 PM
While I can make numerous suggestions for improvement, I also do not look through rose colored glasses, I look through regular glasses and see reality. Overall the New York racing system is in worse shape than a senior citizen in a coma that is livng via a respirator. OTB will not give NYRA any breaks to improve themselves unless they can cut a deal to give themselves a bettter deal. Plus, you have the harness tracks to deal with and their power is unusually strong, mostly because of slots. Did you know that the harness tracks got a law passed that NY OTBs could not offer wagering on any thoroughbred track after 7pm on mondays. I guarantee that next year, the harness tracks will try and increase that law to other days of the week.

What I am saying is, when it comes to politics and doing the right thing for horseplayers, basically we as horseplayers got no shot because no one is on the same page and there are more powerful forces to turn us away with certain subjects. You want a lower takeout, educate and show the powers that be (in NY, the politicians) that the lower takeout will generate more handle on a regular basis. Show them the facts, not the theories. When it comes to quality of food and drinks, it goes back to whomever the tracks have a contract with. Customer service and cleainess of tracks, of course that is track responsibility. Getting to wager from home from non gambling states like north caroilina and georgia, you have a better chance of getting Hillary Clinton to pose for Playboy than having those religious anti-gambling states to change their mind on allowing intenet wagering. HANA has the ability to make a difference, we all do, but lets make sure people are on the same page to try and get the realistic changes to happen. Some things, if we look at it, will never happen and we must not waste our time with it.pp,
You sound like a HANA board member. ;) You believe incremental change is possible and desirable, but facts don't seem to faze the political and industry incumbents. Power is the only thing they understand. We could have the power, but are currently unable to harness it and control it for our own benefit.

And you're right about one thing: collectively we are not on the same page. We need that feedback you insist on withholding because we need to develop the widest base possible. I'm amazed that so far no-one has volunteered anything about tax reform or tax liability of rebates.

Helping out more people at the higher tiers of wagering volume isn't going to help those at the lower tiers who still comprise most of those leaving the game, and who still collectively contribute the most to handle. Consequently, handle still won't grow and the only thing that will have been accomplished is that a few more people received subsidies before the ship sinks.

Revolution is required to reform racing, not evolutuion. And we need to identify all the things we should be fighting for ASAP. Everybody should be talking to everyone else they know who is interested in racing -- on-track and off -- and make them understand how critical it is to curtail their betting until the politicians, track operators, bet-takers, and industry-controlling horse owners understand that business as usual is unacceptable.

That HANA exists with some credentialled thinkers provides the above with someone to come to the table with, but HANA will have to represent numbers as well as handle to accomplish anything. Don't be surprised if someone else fills that void if they do not.

I started this thread because CDI's acqisition of Youbet sparked a discussion suggesting the merger did not bode well for horseplayers. To paraphrase that immortal poster, the_fat_man, we can keep bending over or we can stand up and fight.

Indulto
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
From the feedback I've gotten which surprisingly has been greater off-board than on, many people are not aware that this text is patterned after New York's Patients' Bill of Righrs as opposed the articles of our constitution. Although many on-track and off-track locations have lamentable rest facilities, it is clear that most people are not interested in this issue unless they are allowed to bet from those facilities. ;)

HORSEPLAYERS' BILL OF RIGHTS

4) Receive guaranteed protection for your personal information and funds entrusted to any bet-taking entity.

5) Be represented by a body empowered through direct elections to negotiate equally effective takeout to be applied by all pari-mutuel bet-takers independent of wager size or wagering volume over time; and which would act as a liaison with industry executives and government representatives to ensure that the impact of contemplated policy changes on players will receive adequate consideration.

6) Receive any payout on your wager reflecting breakage to the nearest cent.

7) Not be subject to income tax withholding to any greater extent or in excess of that applied to any other form of legalized gambling, and to be subject only to actual winnings when placing multiple wagers of the same type on the same event.

8) Use a portable computing device at any licensed track or simulcast center, and avail yourself of reserved seating at tables with access to electrical power at any licensed racetrack or simulcast center.

9) Avail yourself of non-interruptible race call audio reception at any licensed racetrack or simulcast center.

10) Receive a free Past Performance PDF for that race with at least the basic statistical information available from the official results charts and official program changes.

thespaah
11-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks for responding, OA.

1), 3) -- Don't Feds have authority to mandate equal rights/treatment for all citizens?

2) Player pays for any race none of whose contestants have been entered to run in last xx days?? Subscriptions?

4) A., 5) A. -- Govt. WILL give when handle gets low enough.

5) B. -- Sometimes input is required prior to the decision being made. An "alternate" would normally not be involved unless a) there were a conflict among the stewards or b) a potential DQ (or lack of one) was not consistent with the previous occurrence of similar circumstances ("alternate" would always query a database constructed for that purpose.) Just something to think about. ;)

6) Should be a given, but isn't. That's why it's there.:bang:

7) Would be a subset of a regular product. Player pays to print it.

8) Fostering cooperation and enforcing public nuisence laws would be a start. Everybody isn't a gourmet -- value menu pricing should be an alternative; especially with bootled water.

BTW this is only a starting point. Feel free to add items you think would be appropriate. Nothing will change if you don't believe it can and/or don't want it badly enough.
you refer to the "equal protection under the law" clause?
I agree..PP's should be available on the net free of charge. The providers can sell ads to defray the cost.