PDA

View Full Version : Who wins sprinter of the year?

toussaud
11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
I think that's the better question. I have no clue whatsoever

Stillriledup
11-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Dancing in Silks, no brainer.

If you win a BC race, you should automatically win a year end honor even if you didn't do much before November. After all, its the Super Bowl of racing, right?

Cadillakin
11-12-2009, 04:26 PM
The filly, Informed Decision. 6 Stakes Wins. 6 for 7 on the year. 3 Grade I wins.. on both dirt and synthetic.

toussaud
11-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry I don't know what I was thinkin. you r right

PaceAdvantage
11-12-2009, 08:45 PM
If you win a BC race, you should automatically win a year end honor even if you didn't do much before November. After all, its the Super Bowl of racing, right?Exactly.

We all know everyone lobbying for Zenyatta was mad as hell that Big Brown was voted 3yo champ over Raven's Pass last year...but with this new paradigm in effect, Raven's Pass would have been a LOCK for 3yo champ this year over Big Brown.

In fact, I think all trainers with high-end stock should simply adopt a Michael Dickinson/Dahoss approach and only race their horses ONCE a year AT MOST.

Stillriledup
11-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Exactly.

We all know everyone lobbying for Zenyatta was mad as hell that Big Brown was voted 3yo champ over Raven's Pass last year...but with this new paradigm in effect, Raven's Pass would have been a LOCK for 3yo champ this year over Big Brown.

In fact, I think all trainers with high-end stock should simply adopt a Michael Dickinson/Dahoss approach and only race their horses ONCE a year AT MOST.

Its the special sauce pickles lettuce on a sesame seed bun theory. That theory states that certain grade 1 races are somehow (according to anonymous internet posters) "BETTER" than other grade 1 races.

I try and not get cute, if it says Grade 1, i treat it as such, i don't want to go around trying to determine if one grade 1 race is somehow better than another grade 1 race.

Tom
11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Dancing in Silks, no brainer.

If you win a BC race, you should automatically win a year end honor even if you didn't do much before November. After all, its the Super Bowl of racing, right?

No, it an eclipse award for year long achievement, not one race.
Raven's Pass was a stupid choice, imho. BB was a stupid choice as well.

Stillriledup
11-12-2009, 09:18 PM
No, it an eclipse award for year long achievement, not one race.

Really. I've been duped. Someone sold me some tainted Kool aid.

toussaud
11-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Its the special sauce pickles lettuce on a sesame seed bun theory. That theory states that certain grade 1 races are somehow (according to anonymous internet posters) "BETTER" than other grade 1 races.

I try and not get cute, if it says Grade 1, i treat it as such, i don't want to go around trying to determine if one grade 1 race is somehow better than another grade 1 race.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others"

-George Orwell, Animal Farm

Valuist
11-12-2009, 09:54 PM
The filly, Informed Decision. 6 Stakes Wins. 6 for 7 on the year. 3 Grade I wins.. on both dirt and synthetic.

I agree 100%. I don't think its even close. She raced at numerous tracks; granted mostly on synthetic but she did win a graded stake on the CD dirt. And she closes things out with a BC win, which according to many people's criteria, is the most important thing.

toussaud
11-12-2009, 10:06 PM
humm. interesting. I would tend to agree as well. Informed decision it is.

in before west coast bias claims zensational is the best sprinter evr

cj
11-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe the best sprinters these days are all running routes since there are so few true routers left. I'm not sure, but it was a pretty poor year for the sprinters.

ghostyapper
11-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I get a kick out of the people that continue to say how the bc classic is no more important than any other g1 race but in the next breath they say how zenyatta didn't do anything until november

The breeders cup classic was her 4TH G1 WIN OF THE YEAR.

FenceBored
11-13-2009, 07:58 AM
I get a kick out of the people that continue to say how the bc classic is no more important than any other g1 race but in the next breath they say how zenyatta didn't do anything until november

What does that say about the memorability of her earlier races this year?

Valuist
11-13-2009, 08:15 AM

What does Zenyatta have to do with Sprinter of the Year? There's plenty of other threads about her.

Valuist
11-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Whatever happened to Bribon? I'm guessing he either got hurt on ran ineffectively on synthetics. Maybe he wasn't nominated to the BC since he was a South Am bred.

ghostyapper
11-13-2009, 09:01 AM
What does Zenyatta have to do with Sprinter of the Year? There's plenty of other threads about her.

I wasn't the one who brought up her here. Read the entire thread before making a comment like this to me

ghostyapper
11-13-2009, 09:03 AM
What does that say about the memorability of her earlier races this year?

It says the rachel groupies were oblivious to what was going on outside of when rachel raced.

And according to a certain poster here a G1 is a G1 so "memorability" has no place here.

Valuist
11-13-2009, 09:47 AM

There is a big difference among Grade 1s. With the exception of 2008, the Prioress was no better than Grade 3 in quality yet its been a Grade 1 the entire time. I've seen a number of classified allowance races that were better than many Prioress runnings.

FenceBored
11-13-2009, 10:09 AM
It says the rachel groupies were oblivious to what was going on outside of when rachel raced.

:D Yeah, that must be it.

FenceBored
11-13-2009, 10:15 AM

Considering there is now a Female Sprinter Eclipse I don't think it likely that a filly wins both Sprint titles.

FenceBored
11-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Whatever happened to Bribon? I'm guessing he either got hurt on ran ineffectively on synthetics. Maybe he wasn't nominated to the BC since he was a South Am bred.

If you're talking about the Met Mile winner, he's French bred and wasn't nominated to the BC. His last appears to be the Woodbine Mile won by Ventura where he finished 5th.