PDA

View Full Version : 10 States Face Budget Disaster.

BlueShoe
11-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Every one in the country has heard of Californias money problems,right?Very true,but do you happen to live in Arizona,Florida,Illinois,Michigan,Nevada,New Jersey,Oregon,Rhode Island,or Wisconsin?If you do,then your state has financial woes that may be just as bad as Californias.California gets all the bad publicity,but it seems that other states are in a mess too. So what are the politicos most likely to do?Why raise taxes and cut services,naturally.This is what bureaucrats do,isnt it?
www.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091111/ap_on_re_us/us_state_budgets (http://www.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091111/ap_on_re_us/us_state_budgets)

johnhannibalsmith
11-12-2009, 03:48 PM
AZ really has it good... the past five years budgeting off of an explosion in new citizens, new homes, new construction, new communities, new malls... allocations, projections, everything for a half-dozen years was conceptualized on the merit of the mass explosion in people buying property...
well crap... they aren't buying now, in fact, they aren't even selling... they're just leaving... and now there are schools with a wonderful 1:1 teacher/student ratio and roads and sewers to places that don't exist... and no possible way to pay for what's been done already, much less the basics that need to be done in the present... Luckily the new GOV doesn't cry about how she inherited this abomination from the Head of Homeland Security... yeah, you all can't comprehend what happened to the Terrorists... GOV/HS JanetNap is just that scary brilliant...

ArlJim78
11-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Illinois made the list, WOO HOO!!

oh wait a minute, you mean this is not a good list?

GaryG
11-12-2009, 05:05 PM
AZ and FL could be in between, but the others are blue to the rotten core. Have to raise property taxes, can't cut any social services....

ArlJim78
11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
that's Illinois, hardcore blue, corrupt to the core, and broke as hell.

ddog
11-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Maybe Mr Bush and Big Dick can rush to the rescue.

After all they said deficits don't matter. Well , maybe they were right!

TO them anyway............ :lol:

If not for the Feds printing and giving to the states , around 40 would be toast already - blue red or purple.
Guess what, they are going to be anyway.

As long as the pension plans and the unreal civil service scams are allowed to continue in many of these states they are going DOWN.

AND, that would be a good thing.

The days of 100,000 salaries and pensions for life just because you slept in a firehouse or gave out a traffic ticket have to be stopped.

They are busting the system , along with all the free HC.

Robert Goren
11-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Nebraska is having a special season of the legislator to deal with it's money problems. This is about a Republican state as you will find. I think any state that counts on sales tax revenue is trouble.

Tom
11-12-2009, 07:35 PM
NY is like 4 weeks away from a big flush. And we have a total moron running it. Yet, those on Uncle Sugar's hand out list have not has to share the hardships. First thing to eliminate is ALL entitlement programs. Let them leave if they don't like it. Maybe they can sneak into Mexico. Befreo you right the ship, you have to cast the anchor(s).

NJ Stinks
11-12-2009, 09:03 PM
AZ and FL could be in between, but the others are blue to the rotten core. Have to raise property taxes, can't cut any social services....

Gary, you just don't get it. So here it is again. NJ residents send a buck in federal taxes to the U.S. Treasury. Later Uncle Sam sends 61 cents of that dollar back to NJ - supposedly to help NJ defray costs so the State of NJ doesn't have to increase taxes on it's residents to pay all of it's bills. Meanwhile, the proud citizens of Tennessee sends a buck in federal taxes to the U.S. Treasury. But, astonishly enough, Tennessee gets back a $1.27 from Uncle Sam!

How can this be? I can't imagine where this great Red state gets this extra cash from. It couldn't be from Blue states like NJ, could it? :eek:

The fact is, if NJ didn't have to subsidize states like Tenn suddenly NJ has a budget surplus and your state is "rotten to the core". Get it? I doubt it.

Anyway, most of the states with budget problems that Blueshoe mentioned have been propping up Red states everywhere for years. Apparently, we can't afford to anymore.

You can look it up.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/266.html

BlueShoe
11-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Of the 10 states on the list 9 voted for Obama in the 2008 election.Arizona went McCain perhaps because he was a native son.In the freedom in 50 states study,a topic that we discussed a few months ago,in total freedom only one,Arizona,ranked in the top 10,Arizona at #8.Most ranked in the bottom half of the study,a few in midpack.Get the picture?The trend is that the more liberal a state is,the more the Democrats hold power,the less freedom there is,the more likely the state is to be in a severe fiscal crisis.

bigmack
11-12-2009, 11:46 PM
How can this be? I can't imagine where this great Red state gets this extra cash from. It couldn't be from Blue states like NJ, could it? :eek:
The fact is, if NJ didn't have to subsidize states like Tenn suddenly NJ has a budget surplus and your state is "rotten to the core". Get it? I doubt it.
Nice touch with the Get it? I doubt it thing, huh 2G? He/she can't help but be didactic.

Truth be told. The Feds control what States get and on average it accounts for 25%. This is a big internet Lib-feb story. Darn shame it falls to shambles on scrutiny as usual.

The presence of military bases or federal offices can boost a state's ranking in federal dollars returned. An older population also can sway the amount of federal dollars returned because elderly rely more on federal programs such as Social Security and Medicare.

One reason for New England's generally low returns is that its share of Defense Department spending fell from 8.3 percent in 1990 to 5.2 percent in 2000, said Matt Kane, policy analyst for budget issues for the Northeast Midwest Institute.

The institute publishes an annual study on the return of the federal tax dollar to states.

Herman "Dutch" Leonard, a professor at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government (whose annual study on "The Federal Budget and the States," is due this spring), said his research will confirm that northeast states lag as recipients of federal spending. However, an analysis of 2001-02 data might show that New York increased its ratio of federal dollars returned because of expenditures related to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, he said.

Rankings of returns on federal tax dollars are just a snapshot of trends that generally take decades to change, researchers said.

"So unless you plan to get a military base anytime soon, there's not much to be done," said the Tax Foundation's Moody, whose rankings are based on both Census data about federal expending.

mostpost
11-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Nice touch with the Get it? I doubt it thing, huh 2G? He/she can't help but be didactic.
He/she??? NJ, are you a tranny? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigmack
11-13-2009, 12:23 AM
He/she??? NJ, are you a tranny? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uff da, call the PoPo's, we got a Fed employee that ain't PC.

This is a clear violation of USPS code 12889.55 section 54 found on page 978, bottom paragraph, sentence 7:

No current or former postal employee shall refer to any raging liberal loon as a transgender and/or tranny.

Expect a docking of your Federal paycheck.

NJ Stinks
11-13-2009, 01:27 AM
"So unless you plan to get a military base anytime soon, there's not much to be done," said the Tax Foundation's Moody, whose rankings are based on both Census data about federal expending.

Ever hear of Fort Dix, McGuire Air Force Base, or Fort Monmouth, Mack? They are all in NJ.

As for the didactic shot, at least I'm not teaching Arabic! :lol:

bigmack
11-13-2009, 01:47 AM
Ever hear of Fort Dix, McGuire Air Force Base, or Fort Monmouth, Mack? They are all in NJ.
As for the didactic shot, at least I'm not teaching Arabic! :lol:
Let me think back on the 'didactic shot'. Oh that's right, it was brought about by Get It? Doubt It. That was more than yokelish of you. No great surprise.

Ever hear of contacting your representatives to whine about the Fed dollars trickling in The Pardon State?

Spend less time on web sites pointing to red & blue and do something that will mean something for your kin & you.

Man, I'm catchy.

NJ Stinks
11-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Let me think back on the 'didactic shot'. Oh that's right, it was brought about by Get It? Doubt It. That was more than yokelish of you. No great surprise.

Ever hear of contacting your representatives to whine about the Fed dollars trickling in The Pardon State?

Spend less time on web sites pointing to red & blue and do something that will mean something for your kin & you.

Man, I'm catchy.

Yokelish? Are you a lawyer? :p

Hey, Gary took the first shot with the rather unsurprising "but the others are blue to the rotten core" observation. I look forward to the adjective you assign Gary. :lol:

bigmack
11-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Yokelish? Are you a lawyer? :
Yeah, that's one them there higher learnin' words.

Let's get back to your point of how TN is taking money away from NJ - Give us more information on that. You're in the know on this issue, right?

boxcar
11-13-2009, 09:14 AM

Let's get back to your point of how TN is taking money away from NJ - Give us more information on that. You're in the know on this issue, right?

NJ knows all -- except for the truth and facts. He must avoid both at all costs; for truth gives him a bad case of indigestion and facts produce unbearable heartburn for him. And both together give him a pounding, killer migraine.

Boxcar

delayjf
11-13-2009, 09:54 AM
As long as the pension plans and the unreal civil service scams are allowed to continue in many of these states they are going DOWN.

AND, that would be a good thing.

The days of 100,000 salaries and pensions for life just because you slept in a firehouse or gave out a traffic ticket have to be stopped.

They are busting the system , along with all the free HC.

Agree,

How can this be? I can't imagine where this great Red state gets this extra cash from. It couldn't be from Blue states like NJ, could it?
I thought the left was down with progressive taxation. :confused:

Tom
11-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, paying high taxes is patriotic. Quit your gripping, Yankee Doodle!:D

NJ Stinks
11-14-2009, 02:43 AM

Let's see now, Mack. So far I showed the judge a page from the Tax Foundation that showed most of the states with budget problems that Blueshoe mentioned have been propping up Red states financially.

So far you showed the judge a quote from a professor at Harvard (that's rich here! :lol: ) that the prof will have a book out next spring showing that you need miliatry bases to get real money from Washington. No kidding. Since military costs account for over half the U.S. budget every year who can argue with that? The question is: Why are more military bases put in certain states than in others? Is it for geographical reasons? In some states yes - like Alaska and Hawaii. But in most cases a miltary base was placed somewhere to help the local and state economy that needed help. Otherwise, why would politicians fight to get and maintain bases within their jurisdiction?

No matter how it's sliced, it's Blue States paying to help Red States financially.

I look forward to your rebuttal.

Boris
11-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Gary, you just don't get it. So here it is again. NJ residents send a buck in federal taxes to the U.S. Treasury. Later Uncle Sam sends 61 cents of that dollar back to NJ - supposedly to help NJ defray costs so the State of NJ doesn't have to increase taxes on it's residents to pay all of it's bills. Meanwhile, the proud citizens of Tennessee sends a buck in federal taxes to the U.S. Treasury. But, astonishly enough, Tennessee gets back a $1.27 from Uncle Sam!

Anyway, most of the states with budget problems that Blueshoe mentioned have been propping up Red states everywhere for years. Apparently, we can't afford to anymore.

You can look it up.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/266.html

First of all, it's not as simple as sending in a dollar and getting a dollar. 50 dollars are going in and more than 50 dollars are coming out. Not sure how that happens after the federal government gets their vig. Setting aside the D of C, the table shows $50 going in and $58.52 coming back. How can that be?

From the link:
The most important factor determining whether a state is a net beneficiary is per capita income. States with wealthier residents pay higher federal taxes per capita thanks to the progressive structure of the income tax. Other factors include whether states have powerful Members of Congress, the number of federal employees present in a state, and the number of residents receiving Social Security, Medicare and other federal entitlements.
So we are looking at things on a per capita basis. And, if New Jersey has 2,000,000 more residents than Tenn, but the total gross dollar payments in social security are almost identical for both states, how will that affect the chart?

In short, the output "Federal Spending by State" has little to do with the input "Federal Taxes Paid" given the variables used.