PDA

View Full Version : Breeder's Cup ESPN Coverage

Jasonm921
11-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Did anyone sit in front of the television on Saturday and wish for the good old days of NBC's coverage. ESPN's coverage felt like the race of the week times 8. They replayed the same segment on european training that they showed on the Friday telecast. Do you remember the great stories NBC did before each of the BC Races in which they took a story line and just ran with it (Youtube Tiznow 2001 BC Classic Prerace). These stories were great.

Trevor Denman's calls were better this year but don't match the drama of Durkin's calls of years past. Also another small thing but I think plays big on t.v. They have to turn the rail microphones on when these horses are running. The crowd reactions and the hoof steps add to the drama (see 1989 BC Classic) Otherwise it feels like you are watching TVG for 6 hours.

ghostyapper
11-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I loved durkin's bc calls as much as anyone but I don't think he has it anymore. His call of the some of the belmont G1's were average.

NBC's coverage was miles ahead of espn. Starting last year I hardly even watch between races now. When nbc was covering it I would watch from start to finish.

levinmpa
11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm not a fan of anything that ESPN does, with the exception of the World Series of Poker. I watch very limited live events, and never watch any of their Sportscenter or rehearsed pregrame shows. I also preferred NBC's coverage. I dislike all the various camera angles they used. I dislike any segment that includes Hank Goldberg. The rest of the broadcast was acceptable. I thought Jerry Bailey and Randy Moss did a good job. However, they need to lose whatever that contraption Randy Moss was using to show his wagers. Just put up a graphic please. ESPN tries to appeal to the pop culture crowd instead of the hard core sports, or in this case, racing fan. They are more concerned with the highlight and controversy than the actual outcome of an event. This is why they are the number one reason that sports is becoming unwatchable for me any more. I will always be a racing fan, but the other major sports are way down the list for me these days. I long for the days of Gale Gardner, Tom Mees and George Grande, when sports was sports.

Greyfox
11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Obviously they spent a lot of money putting cameras in place for calls around turns and cameras in helicopters.
It all went unappreciated by me.
I like old fashioned camera work so that I know where the horses are on the track. Taking a picture from grass level of horses approaching may be aesthetic but that's not what I want to see.
I want a big picture of the horses as they go around the track, just like at the simulcast parlour. I found what they were doing was confusing and at times the whole field couldn't be seen.

Robert Goren
11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
My only gripe is they could get a real handicapper. Like someone who won the contest held every year. At least Andrew Beyers.

joanied
11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
The best part of ESPN coverage for me is that it was in hi-Def...ABC is supposed to be hi-def, but that's crap...it all looked rather blurry...

Hank has to go...and the Kenny Mays 'thing' on gamblers (down and out) was absolutley:ThmbDown: pathetic...yeah, seeing these gamblers, especially that gal...she looked like she was just coming off crack...yeah, that'll get new fans to the track:bang:

They did use segments from Friday's coverage...that sucked...and the one they should have used, they didn't...the 'scientific' aspect of race riding...I thought was interesting and done well.

I do enjoy the between race story lines...we didn't get much of that, except Kent D telling us about his marriage problems.

I am not a fan of ESPN...but as long as they have hi-def, I hope the races stay there...but there is a lot they can do better...and yeah, microphones along the rail would be amazing...and near the grandstand so we can hear the roar of the crowd...I can imagine what is sounded like after Zenyatta crossed the wire...but could hardly hear the crowd...crowd noise and hoof beats and hearing the jocks as they ride...that is what would bring the TV viewer right into the thick of it.
Better camera angles is needed too...and please, show a head on during the replays...

LottaKash
11-10-2009, 02:17 PM
The best part of ESPN coverage for me is that it was in hi-Def...ABC is supposed to be hi-def, but that's crap...it all looked rather blurry...

It was 3-D, didn't you have your 3-D glasses on ?

best,

Show Me the Wire
11-10-2009, 02:20 PM
A good demonstration by Randy Moss about the dangers of making your own morning line.

Greyfox
11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Independent of the camera work that I did not like,
the presence of the traditional saddle clothes
:1: :2: :3: :4: :5: :6: :7: :8: :9: :10: :11: :12:
were a huge help to me.
Let's hope that they never ever go back to that Royal Purple idea.

Robert Goren
11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
were a huge help to me.
Let's hope that they never ever go back to that Royal Purple idea.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

SMOO
11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
were a huge help to me.

:ThmbUp:

It could not help the racecallers either, even though they use other things like the silks & caps to spot the horses. I look at the saddle cloth colors myself a lot.

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm in the minority, but I kind of prefer the monochrome saddle cloths. They just bring an air of uniqueness to the event...but I know the multicolored saddle cloths are much easier to follow...

As for the microphones on the track, I heard the hooves hitting the track loud and clear...you guys didn't hear that? They had the mics turned on the track...at least for some of the races...

And I also love anything Kenny Mayne does...and I didn't think the girl in the segment looked like she was just coming off crack! :ThmbDown: She was in all honesty a huge step up from what you would see any afternoon at Aqueduct...:lol:

Hell, they all looked and/or sounded like degenerates, which was the point of the piece....

I laughed.

joanied
11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
It was 3-D, didn't you have your 3-D glasses on ?

best,

:lol: crap...I forgot to put 'em on:eek:

skate
11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
were a huge help to me.

abstatudally:kiss:

Greyfox
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm in the minority, but I kind of prefer the monochrome saddle cloths. They just bring an air of uniqueness to the event...

When monochrome saddle clothes were "in," the only air of uniqueness was
bettors yelling to one another after every race "Who won? Huh?":lol:

joanied
11-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm in the minority, but I kind of prefer the monochrome saddle cloths. They just bring an air of uniqueness to the event...but I know the multicolored saddle cloths are much easier to follow...

As for the microphones on the track, I heard the hooves hitting the track loud and clear...you guys didn't hear that? They had the mics turned on the track...at least for some of the races...

And I also love anything Kenny Mayne does...and I didn't think the girl in the segment looked like she was just coming off crack! :ThmbDown: She was in all honesty a huge step up from what you would see any afternoon at Aqueduct...:lol:

Hell, they all looked and/or sounded like degenerates, which was the point of the piece....

I laughed.

Pace...that segment was fine for the folks that go to the races nearly every day to bet, bet, bet...the 'degenerates'...but, do you really think the regular folks...the ones we are trying to get out to the races...realized the humor in that piece...no way...to those folks, what they saw is a turn off...does the guy down the street, who's never been to the track, want to take his family to the races after seeing that piece...nope!!