PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the list of Eclipse Voters?

Moyers Pond
11-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Just curious to see how many of them are east coast based voters.

Really would like to know how many received cases of wine from Jess Jackson last year when they stole the HOY from Zenyatta.

FenceBored
11-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Really would like to know how many received cases of wine from Jess Jackson last year when they stole the HOY from Zenyatta.

:rolleyes: Now you're just embarrassing yourself.

postpicker
11-09-2009, 10:34 AM
There are 3 blocs of voters, National Turf Writers, DRF writers and Racing Secretaries. While you say Zenyatta was robbed last year, let me enlighten you on the mentality of some of my colleagues, many of these theories I don't agree with. There are voters who will never vote for a 3 year old as HOY if they have never beaten older, there are voters who will never vote a 2YO as HOY, there are voters who will never vote for a filly or mare as HOY if they never beat the boys, there are voters who will never consider a turf horse for HOY if they never won on dirt, there are voters who discount races on synthetics because they hate it, there are voters that will never vote for a trainer if they had a positive of any type in their career. My point is, to say there is a west cast bias is baseless and wrong (tell that to Noberto Arroyo Jr. when Tyler Baze won the Apprentice Eclipse). If you wanna talk about pressure or perks for votes, how about the racing secretaries from the Stronach owned tracks having the ability to vote for their boss as breeder and/or owner Eclipse. You must admit, there is no way Stronach deserved the owner Eclipse last year, but he has a built in advantage.

Moyers Pond
11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
There are 3 blocs of voters, National Turf Writers, DRF writers and Racing Secretaries. While you say Zenyatta was robbed last year, let me enlighten you on the mentality of some of my colleagues, many of these theories I don't agree with. There are voters who will never vote for a 3 year old as HOY if they have never beaten older, there are voters who will never vote a 2YO as HOY, there are voters who will never vote for a filly or mare as HOY if they never beat the boys, there are voters who will never consider a turf horse for HOY if they never won on dirt, there are voters who discount races on synthetics because they hate it, there are voters that will never vote for a trainer if they had a positive of any type in their career. My point is, to say there is a west cast bias is baseless and wrong (tell that to Noberto Arroyo Jr. when Tyler Baze won the Apprentice Eclipse). If you wanna talk about pressure or perks for votes, how about the racing secretaries from the Stronach owned tracks having the ability to vote for their boss as breeder and/or owner Eclipse. You must admit, there is no way Stronach deserved the owner Eclipse last year, but he has a built in advantage.

Great. Please provide us with a list. I want someone to show me that the east coast based writers don't make up a ridiculously high number of the voters. I will tell you right now, you won't be able to do it.

As for last year, Zenyatta never lost and Curlin was nothing special like he was at 3. I would bet a huge percentage of the east coast based writers never even saw Zenyatta.

Lastly, can you confirm or deny that Jess Jackson sent cases of wine to many of the voters. Unfortunately you won't be able to deny it, because one of them told me he received the wine. How pathetic is that?

FenceBored
11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Lastly, can you confirm or deny that Jess Jackson sent cases of wine to many of the voters. Unfortunately you won't be able to deny it, because one of them told me he received the wine. How pathetic is that?

The organization behind an award nominee may have sent gifts to the voters? :eek: :faint: I'm sure A&M has never done that before the Grammys or the Oscars. Now maybe if Jerry had sent something other than the Herb Albert box set to the Eclipse voters last year things might have been different. :lol:

postpicker
11-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Great. Please provide us with a list. I want someone to show me that the east coast based writers don't make up a ridiculously high number of the voters. I will tell you right now, you won't be able to do it.

As for last year, Zenyatta never lost and Curlin was nothing special like he was at 3. I would bet a huge percentage of the east coast based writers never even saw Zenyatta.

I can only provide you with where to find the National Turf Writers. Anyone that is a paid member of the National Turf Writers Association has a vote. I do not have the access on the exact DRF Writers and the exact Racing Secretaries that vote, but it would be safe to assume that the major writers and handicappers of the DRF and the racing secretaries of the major tracks have votes.

For you to make a comment that a huge percentage of east coast based writers never even saw Zenyatta is ignorant on your part. First of all, I do recall Zenyatta winning a BC race last year, which was shown nationally and attended by many east coast writers. Plus, access to all of her races are available for review online and at race replay centers if the writer did not watch her race live. When the ballots are sent out, a copy of the past performances are included so everything is there for review. If you read my earlier post, you will see there are voters that would never vote for Zenyatta in 2008 because of their own beliefs. Again, I don't agree with that, but I cannot tell people how to think or how to vote. BTW, the vote for HOY was Curlin 153, Zenyatta 69 with 18 votes going to other horses and 2 abstained from voting. Do you really think the 84 vote difference was all east coast? I doubt it.

Did Jess Jackson send wine, yes (BTW, people that tried it didn't like it that much). I can also confirm that there were voters who did not like that gesture and did not vote for him because of it. Also, the Curlin crew were not exactly beloved by many in the media. But answer me this, do think in 2008, Stronach deserved the owner Eclipse? He won 47 to 46 over IEAH. The breakdown in that voting was Turf Writers gave IEAH 22, Stronach 21, Drf was IEAH 20, Stronach 9, NTRA (racing secretaries) Stronach 17, IEAH 4. You want to talk about injustice in voting, this was it & the answer is obvious.

MickJ26
11-09-2009, 12:14 PM
It would only make sense that there are more eastern based voters because there are more eastern based major circuits. With Rachel running in New York, Kentucky, New Jersey, Maryland, Arkansas and Louisiana; chances are most of the eastern voters saw her run in person at least once. A California based horse who only ran once out of town in her career would be at a distinct disadvantage.

turfnsport
11-09-2009, 06:02 PM
http://www.turfwriters.org/about/member_roster.cfm

tzipi
11-09-2009, 06:08 PM
It would only make sense that there are more eastern based voters because there are more eastern based major circuits. With Rachel running in New York, Kentucky, New Jersey, Maryland, Arkansas and Louisiana; chances are most of the eastern voters saw her run in person at least once. A California based horse who only ran once out of town in her career would be at a distinct disadvantage.

True, she was showcased more I guess.

Doc
11-10-2009, 04:51 PM

I am really befuddled by this post. Stole the HOY from Zenyatta? You're joking. Curlin had an outstanding year: He won five of seven starts, including the Dubai World Cup, the Woodward Stakes and the Jockey Club Gold Cup. In the Gold Cup, he became the first North American-based horse to top $10 million in career earnings.

I am East Coast-based, and yes, I have a vote. I voted for Curlin, and yes, I received the wine. It's unopened in my china cabinet, and it had no influence on my decision to vote for Curlin. I thought voting for him was a no-brainer. I constantly watch East Coast and West Coast and in-between racing, and your accusation that East Coast-based voters know little or nothing about West Coast horses is ludicrous.

You should be worrying about who will be HOY this year, instead of fretting about last year's results. Matter of fact, the vote last year wasn't even close: Curlin received 153 votes, 84 more than Zenyatta. Big Brown received only 13.

Doc :)

domino1891
11-24-2009, 09:04 PM
:rolleyes: Now you're just embarrassing yourself.

http://blogs.fairplex.com/blog/race/?p=86

PaceAdvantage
11-25-2009, 01:13 AM
What is the big deal?

If it isn't against the rules, why WOULDN'T you lobby on your horse's behalf?

PaceAdvantage
11-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Really would like to know how many received cases of wine from Jess Jackson last year when they stole the HOY from Zenyatta.If some folks (including me) think Zenyatta doesn't deserve HOY in 2009, what makes you possibly think she deserved it in 2008?

At least this year, she beat a field worthy of a HOY candidate.

FenceBored
11-25-2009, 08:36 AM
http://blogs.fairplex.com/blog/race/?p=86

I get "Sorry, no posts match your criteria" when I try to follow that link.

Moyers Pond
11-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I am East Coast-based, and yes, I have a vote. I voted for Curlin, and yes, I received the wine. It's unopened in my china cabinet, and it had no influence on my decision to vote for Curlin. I thought voting for him was a no-brainer. I constantly watch East Coast and West Coast and in-between racing, and your accusation that East Coast-based voters know little or nothing about West Coast horses is ludicrous.

You should be worrying about who will be HOY this year, instead of fretting about last year's results. Matter of fact, the vote last year wasn't even close: Curlin received 153 votes, 84 more than Zenyatta. Big Brown received only 13.

East coast based. Check
Received bribe from Jess Jackon. Check
Voted for Curlin. Check.

Thanks for proving my point.

As for worrying about this year's HOY, I don't worry about it. It is a joke of an award. These horses don't even run against each other because the idiots that run the sport, and the IDIOTS that cover it, have ruined the sport. I believe Rachel and Zenyatta had a whopping 2 races shown on television between the two of them. It shouldn't surprise anyone though, the sport is basically run by and covered by a bunch of old white men living in the glory days of horse racing that are degenerates that can be bought for a case of wine. :lol:

Tom
11-25-2009, 10:51 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's rich.

Stevie Belmont
11-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Stole nothing

Curlin was the winner hands down last year...

PaceAdvantage
11-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Moyer's Pond is running tomorrow at CD. Hopefully, that will take the edge off for a while...(doubtful though....)

Tom
11-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Moyer's Pond is running tomorrow at CD. Hopefully, that will take the edge off for a while...(doubtful though....)

OMG! I hope he doesn't get DQ'd!

FenceBored
11-26-2009, 11:30 AM

Scratched. Ironically, he was MTO (unwilling to run on other than dirt).

Doc
11-27-2009, 08:40 PM
The last post by Moyer's Pond disgusted me. He is a no-nothing blow-hard with delusional thoughts. He claims there is an East Coast bias among Eclipse voters - I have the breakdown by region of the 140 members of the National Turf Writers Association, which comprises one of the 3 voting blocs. As you can see, the majority do not come from the East Coast. I am sure the breakdown is nearly the same for the other blocs:

By Region:
Northeast (including foreign) (36): Connecticut (2), New York (21), New Jersey (8), Massachusetts (3), Ontario (1), Scotland (1)

Mid-Atlantic (16): Delaware (2), Maryland (6), Pennsylvania (4), Virginia (1), Washington D.C. (3)

Midwest (46): Illinois (7), Indiana (1), Iowa (1), Kentucky (36), Ohio (1)

South (5): Florida (2), Georgia (1), South Carolina (1), Tennessee (1)

Southwest (8): Arkansas (2), Louisiana (3), Texas (3)

West (29): California (22), Idaho (1), Nevada (3), Washington (3)

I think Moyer's Pond needs to go jump in the lake. Or, seriously, get educated before posting bullcrap about how the media is ruining the sport or how the Horse of the Year vote is biased.

He is just plain ignorant! :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Doc :bang:

Stillriledup
11-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I think each voter should be named by name and we should get to see who everyone voted for.

kenwoodallpromos
11-27-2009, 09:26 PM
If Plubber runners are discounted by some, and some will not vote for 3's doesn't that give some edge to Z?

riskman
11-27-2009, 11:16 PM
East coast based. Check
Received bribe from Jess Jackon. Check
Voted for Curlin. Check.

As for worrying about this year's HOY, I don't worry about it. It is a joke of an award. These horses don't even run against each other because the idiots that run the sport, and the IDIOTS that cover it, have ruined the sport. I believe Rachel and Zenyatta had a whopping 2 races shown on television between the two of them. It shouldn't surprise anyone though, the sport is basically run by and covered by a bunch of old white men living in the glory days of horse racing that are degenerates that can be bought for a case of wine. :lol:

This degenerate old white man would insist on a case of 1941 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon . A case of these sold at an auction in Los Angeles for roughly $25,000 a bottle. Hey, if I'm going to sell my vote, I want the best.

domino1891
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
I get "Sorry, no posts match your criteria" when I try to follow that link.

sorry, try this google cached version: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:bh6JcgBoJX8J:blogs.fairplex.com/blog/race/%3Ftag%3Declipse-awards+jess+jackson+wine+eclipse+fairplex&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It's "just a blog" though (no offense to Norm)

joanied
11-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I am really befuddled by this post. Stole the HOY from Zenyatta? You're joking. Curlin had an outstanding year: He won five of seven starts, including the Dubai World Cup, the Woodward Stakes and the Jockey Club Gold Cup. In the Gold Cup, he became the first North American-based horse to top $10 million in career earnings.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: excellent post, Doc.

As for the wine...as PA said, as long as it's not against the rules, I see no reason why an owner cannot send a gift to the voters, campaign for his horse...although, IMHO, there should be a rule against...not because I beleive a gift to the voters is a 'bribe' or would actually sway one's vote, but because it just kinda looks bad...and in the eyes of some very cynical types, would be considered a bribe...which, IMO, is ridiculous...almost damned funny!

Hey Doc...are ya waiting for that wine to age:D

Moyers Pond
11-30-2009, 02:53 PM
The last post by Moyer's Pond disgusted me. He is a no-nothing blow-hard with delusional thoughts. He claims there is an East Coast bias among Eclipse voters - I have the breakdown by region of the 140 members of the National Turf Writers Association, which comprises one of the 3 voting blocs. As you can see, the majority do not come from the East Coast. I am sure the breakdown is nearly the same for the other blocs:

By Region:
Northeast (including foreign) (36): Connecticut (2),New York (21), New Jersey (8), Massachusetts (3),Ontario (1), Scotland (1)

Mid-Atlantic (16): Delaware (2), Maryland (6), Pennsylvania (4), Virginia (1), Washington D.C. (3)

Midwest (46): Illinois (7), Indiana (1), Iowa (1), Kentucky (36), Ohio (1)

South (5): Florida (2), Georgia (1), South Carolina (1), Tennessee (1)

Southwest (8): Arkansas (2), Louisiana (3), Texas (3)

West (29): California (22), Idaho (1), Nevada (3), Washington (3)

I think Moyer's Pond needs to go jump in the lake. Or, seriously, get educated before posting bullcrap about how the media is ruining the sport or how the Horse of the Year vote is biased.

He is just plain ignorant! :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Doc :bang:

Do you not know how to add? :D

54 voters are from the east coast. Northeast, Midatlantic, Florida.

I love the idiots that think the northeast is the only part of America that is East cost. Moron.

29 voters are from the west coast.

That would be nearly 2-1, but let's not confuse facts. :D

I will bet right now, Rachel Alexandra will get a final tally of about 25 more first place votes among these voters. East Coast bias will all vote one way. West Coast the other way, and the remainder split.

Amazingly, the East Coast has nearly 2x as many votes as the West but does not have 2x as much racing. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

How about the DRF voters? How many are west coast based? Let me guess, the east coast has 3x as many as west coast.

OTM Al
11-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Hmmmm...seems to me that Georgia and South Carolina are on the east coast too, so I would refrain from calling people morons. Glass house thing you know.

And frankly so what if Rachel wins?

Tom
12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
With 29, the West coast is over-represented for the number of tracks they have there.

Try eBay.....search for "life" :cool:

OTM Al
12-01-2009, 08:26 AM
With 29, the West coast is over-represented for the number of tracks they have there.

Try eBay.....search for "life" :cool:

One thing I know eBay doesn't sell is that product, Tom, so my suggestion would be to Google the word simply to get an understanding what it means....

You know, this poster is actually making me dislike Zenyatta and that is pretty sad. I love how the built in excuses are already being constructed now in case Rachel wins. Which is it going to be, the evil owner (he's actually a very nice guy, the wife has met him) bribing the voters or the evil voters are biased? Maybe we should blame it instead on our politicians as that seems pretty popular. Or perhaps because one of the horses supports global warming initiatives. You know, Zenyatta sounds Muslim! I think we should vote for Rachel as that is a Hebrew name and we need to support our Israeli allies over the wicked Muslims.

I'll stop now and hope (but doubt) you get the point.