PDA

View Full Version : TIM ICE

lamboguy
11-08-2009, 05:28 PM
i never gave SUMMER BIRD a chinaman's chance in yesterday's race. TIM ICE shows up with the 3 yo colt doesn't complain about the surface, doesn't complain that he didn't have the right running style for the surface. the man goes to work and the horse runs a monster race against monsters.

i have the feeling we will hear alot with TIM ICE in the future.

Stillriledup
11-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Tim is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

He campaigned his horse the right way this year. Congrats to Tim, his employees and his owners for an awesome year.

Niko
11-08-2009, 05:46 PM
nor did I, suberb training job getting a very good effort on Poly. I'm sure we'll hear much more from him

BUD
11-08-2009, 06:48 PM
if i was a well off owner-but i'm not--in the US i would give Ice the nod---

i hope he is a winner as you say--- he reminds me of an american aiden O'

but what the H' do I know????:confused:

gm10
11-08-2009, 10:15 PM
i never gave SUMMER BIRD a chinaman's chance in yesterday's race. TIM ICE shows up with the 3 yo colt doesn't complain about the surface, doesn't complain that he didn't have the right running style for the surface. the man goes to work and the horse runs a monster race against monsters.

i have the feeling we will hear alot with TIM ICE in the future.

Fully agree. Really appreciate his work with Summer Bird this year. Patience, horsemanship, courage.

PaceAdvantage
11-09-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm not sure I get how anyone doesn't think Summer Bird is the real deal...

What was it about this horse that people didn't buy coming into the BC Classic?

He wins at 12 furlongs on a fast track...10 furlongs on an off track twice...surely his performance and his breeding suggest no distance limitations....

He won three out of his last four Grade 1s, with his only loss coming to Rachel Alexandra....

Explain if you can...

lamboguy
11-09-2009, 03:57 AM
I'm not sure I get how anyone doesn't think Summer Bird is the real deal...

What was it about this horse that people didn't buy coming into the BC Classic?

He wins at 12 furlongs on a fast track...10 furlongs on an off track twice...surely his performance and his breeding suggest no distance limitations....

He won three out of his last four Grade 1s, with his only loss coming to Rachel Alexandra....

Explain if you can...before the race i thought that due to his running style summer bird would be compromised by the surface. he has a great resume and is a great horse, i didn't think he could run on synthetic. tim ice did a great job and proved me wrong. had this race been on conventional surface like belmont or churhill downs i think you might have got a completely different outcome to the race. in my mind the Z-lady is the greatest horse on the california synthetic surfaces to date. any horse that was in the breeders cup classic in the past or present would have suffered the same fate to her no matter how good the horse was on conventional. as far as i know all her races in 2009 were in california which features synthetic surface. if you think she deserves horse of the year because she was unbeatable on a surface that most of the other horses were never even on that is certainly your perogotive. in my opinion even if RACHEL had not won the WOODWARD she would have still deserved hoy. we will be argueing these points up untill the vote is official.

i have watched the races @presque isle the last 2 years, all i can tell you about that place is that horses that never win anywhere else can win there. and some of the good horses who look like they lay over the field run terrible.
i may be completely wrong about synthetic surface, in my work it got me completely mixed up. i did know that on saturday october the 8th 2009 ZENYATTA had the bigest edge i have ever seen in the short history of the breeders cup races. and the guy that put out the bad line of 5-2 should get a new profession, making her 2-5 would have been more like it in my mind.

PaceAdvantage
11-09-2009, 04:30 AM
and the guy that put out the bad line of 5-2 should get a new profession, making her 2-5 would have been more like it in my mind.What are you talking about? That was a PERFECT LINE!!!!

The guy's job is to approximate what odds the CROWD will set as a whole...not what his PERSONAL LINE would be on the horse....

So, obviously, the guy who made the line did his job to perfection when it came to Zenyatta, as she indeed went off at 5/2....

Java Gold@TFT
11-09-2009, 04:31 AM
2 things:

1: the "word" was out that Summer Bird started his 2yo training in California and never took to the synthetics and was then sent to Ice in New orleans so that is where some of the track concerns came from.

2: Ice said yesterday that he is going to Oaklawn for a while and then moving his main barn to NY. Looks like he will have limited customers in Louisianna and start concentrating on the bigger tracks. I'm sure after his work this year he will have quite a few people lining up in NY to take on some youngsters in 2010.

Good for him.

Tom
11-09-2009, 07:42 AM
SB is the real deal. His bad to come along in the Year of the Filly.
I looked long and hard at him, but his breeding said not likely and his handling of poly said slow down. At the odds, he was a throw out. That he ran as good as he did is a plus for him. I hope he comes back next year. On dirt.

The key to the Classic for me was proven poly ability and distance. That list was rather short. Zenny, Gio, COl John,and I forget the other two. Zenny getting 10 furlongs was never a question in my mind. Gio and Summer Bird had too much doubt at the odds and in that race.

fmolf
11-09-2009, 09:24 AM
This is why poly is bad for the sport at the highest levels.From a statistical point of view it has clouded everything.Even the euros coming over to run on the poly,most if any at all had any poly form to judge them on.they all had turf form,but over in europe only the lowest class horses run on the recycled tires,carpet and plastic soda bottles!Mr. Ice will indeed have many clients in N.Y. I believe he is a fine horseman who keeps his mouth shut does his job to ready his horses in the manner of the old school horseman no flash no glitz no media hype just run the races .

Bochall
11-09-2009, 09:27 AM
...and Tim is always wearing his Steelers hat! Smart guy.

Linny
11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
After the Jockey Club Gold Cup, Ice was 4 for 4 in NY. His wins were the Belmont, the Travers, the Gold Cup and a $10k claimer. BTW, the $10k horse was claimed.

He's a nice young man and knows how to train and how to work the media. He's got a very good horse and should win some big races next year.

Pell Mell
11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm not saying the outcome would have been different but it would have been much closer if; SB hadn't run so close to the pace and hadn't made his move when he did. KD rode EXACTLY as he would have on dirt. SB has proven he can come from way off the pace but since they had success running closer to the pace on dirt that's what they did. They made no allowance whatsoever for the surface. I personally think KD sucks!

I wish they would get JLP to ride this horse, especially on the plastic. JMO :bang:

Bochall
11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I thought the track and the turf were favoring the inside stalking trip during the BC and thats why Kent rode him that way. I am no fan of his, but he rode pretty well this weekend. Almost got my Piscitelli home at 50-1 by taking a closer out of his normal run style and taking him to the lead and the rail (cuz that was the place to be). He rode Mr Sidney up close in the 'dirt' mile but didnt have the horse. His mistake came with Interactif. In his rush to get up front and close to the rail from post 11 he got himself hung 3 wide into the 1st turn (total death in most races). Mighta gone wide on 2nd turn too as a result. Horse gets 3rd beaten a couple of lengths...shame on him. Dont recall many of his other mounts. Again, i am no fan of his as i play 99% of the time at NY tracks, but Summer Bird just didnt have it on pro ride. He was also at the end of a long tough campaign. Wrap him up for the year and we'll see him in the Donn maybe?

onefast99
11-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I thought the track and the turf were favoring the inside stalking trip during the BC and thats why Kent rode him that way. I am no fan of his, but he rode pretty well this weekend. Almost got my Piscitelli home at 50-1 by taking a closer out of his normal run style and taking him to the lead and the rail (cuz that was the place to be). He rode Mr Sidney up close in the 'dirt' mile but didnt have the horse. His mistake came with Interactif. In his rush to get up front and close to the rail from post 11 he got himself hung 3 wide into the 1st turn (total death in most races). Mighta gone wide on 2nd turn too as a result. Horse gets 3rd beaten a couple of lengths...shame on him. Dont recall many of his other mounts. Again, i am no fan of his as i play 99% of the time at NY tracks, but Summer Bird just didnt have it on pro ride. He was also at the end of a long tough campaign. Wrap him up for the year and we'll see him in the Donn maybe?
Sacco has a nice horse in Piscitelli, he should leave him out there and let him enjoy the synthetic.

alytim
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Kent D's ride on Whatsthescript was the one I didn't understand. No one could have bested the winner, but why put a confirmed closer on a the flank of a suicidal speed duel. A good trip puts him in the money.

WinterTriangle
11-10-2009, 12:56 AM
I think Ice is coming into his own, as is Summer Bird.

I'm excited just heard Ice is bringing his entire string to OAKLAWN soon.

Hope I get to see SB again, if he goes to Japan, I probably won't?

I like SB, just never been my favorite, but I've warmed up to him. :) And Tim Ice, too.

gm10
11-10-2009, 05:58 AM
This is why poly is bad for the sport at the highest levels.From a statistical point of view it has clouded everything.Even the euros coming over to run on the poly,most if any at all had any poly form to judge them on.they all had turf form,but over in europe only the lowest class horses run on the recycled tires,carpet and plastic soda bottles!Mr. Ice will indeed have many clients in N.Y. I believe he is a fine horseman who keeps his mouth shut does his job to ready his horses in the manner of the old school horseman no flash no glitz no media hype just run the races .

You could argue the opposite, too. Dirt horses don't do well on anything but dirt, and since dirt racing is such a minority surface on a global scale, you could argue that dirt champions aren't always great horses. They just do better on a very particular surface.