PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Awards

postpicker
11-08-2009, 04:40 PM
For anyone that wants to call this racing's championship, I can see only 3 or 4 horses that clinched an Eclipse Award by winning a Breeders' Cup race. The defnites in my eyes

Zenyatta - Older Filly and Mare (clinched it prior to race but she made it a unamimous win with BC Classic victory)
Informed Decision - Filly & Mare Sprinter
She Be Wild - Juvenile Filly

Possible but not definite

Conduit - Older Turf Male (I wouldn't but I have seen stranger things happen)
Goldikova or Midday - Older Turf Filly & Mare (More likely since the US contenders are good but not spectacular)

Here are a couple of interesting facts from this weekend. Looks like all BC winners except for Tapitsfly had their final start prior to BC on grass or a synthetic surface. Also, Tapitsfly is the only horse to have a victory on the NYRA circuit in 2009.

MickJ26
11-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Hey John, would they give "best turf horse" to Conduit over Gio Ponti with only one North American start? I hope Gio Ponti at least gets something.
Thanks.

postpicker
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't give Conduit the Eclipse this year over Gio Ponti. It has happened in the past, especially when a Euro dominates us on the grass or our turf runners stink. If anything, Gio could win Older Male Turf Eclipse AND Older Male because lets face it, what dirt horse older male has the championship credentials this year? Older male award is just that, older male, not older male on dirt, so Gio Ponti could easily get that award.

ghostyapper
11-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Zenyatta - Older Filly and Mare (clinched it prior to race but she made it a unamimous win with BC Classic victory)
Informed Decision - Filly & Mare Sprinter
She Be Wild - Juvenile Filly

Possible but not definite

Conduit - Older Turf Male (I wouldn't but I have seen stranger things happen)

I don't even think that's a remote possibility. It wasn't an overly impressive performance plus gio pionti put together one of the more impressive turf resumes in recent years.

PaceAdvantage
11-09-2009, 01:23 AM
Conduit was life and death to beat Precious Passion in his only North American start this year...I don't see how he could possibly lay claim to the Turf eclipse over Gio Ponti, a horse who racked up four grade ones while shipping all around the country....plus he destroyed Precious Passion in the Arlington Million....

Or, what ghostyapper said....:lol: