PDA

View Full Version : Did you win some money? Lose Some? Breeders Cup

JustRalph
11-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I donated a couple Bens to the pools this weekend..........

Just wondering how things went for everybody else........

I always bet against the Euros.......and can't handle polytrack at all..........

So........you can see my weaknesses.......... :bang:

I can't wait to get back to Churchill Next year........... :ThmbUp:

GaryG
11-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Ditto for me.....I don't know why I bet these races. Sure is fun though, guess that's why. I was freaking out when Gayego was trying to rally on the rail. That was my best of the day.

Stillriledup
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Got clobbered today. Made a good amt yesterday and gave it back.

betchatoo
11-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Got lucky yesterday and hit a $2100 pick 4. Lost about $800 back, today.

Cholly
11-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I nailed the exacta in the Faux-Dirt Mile which came back $758 for $2 on three horses I selected by cutting cards...better lucky than smart?

WinterTriangle
11-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Exciting racing, and great prices! When do you rememeber getting odds of 5/2 on Zenyatta, or 6-1 on Summer Bird, or 12-1 on Gio Ponti???????????????

I came out about a thou ahead, both in real life and in the contests I posted at and played on my other forums. Did better on Friday than Saturday.

Was a hair off in many, like I'd have the huge trifecta, but one horse out of place whaaaaaa!

I usually don't do so well, but the value and prices were outstanding this year, so I just lucked out.

It can't be my handicapping skills on synth, as those are almost nonexistent, but I promised myself I would learn it .... and .....I am.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2009, 09:17 PM
If I didn't let all the hype over Mastercraftsman get to me, this would have been one for the ages...

Can you believe I had Ready's Echo and Furthest Land written down as my top two in the dirt mile, but decided to only make token win bets on both of them while forgoing the exactas, and only playing superfectas keying Mastercraftsman on top of those two plus a few others?

Wow...what a colossal blunder that turned out to be....

I deserve to have my handicapping card revoked for life after that race...

MickJ26
11-07-2009, 09:20 PM
I had the exacta, triple and $.10 super in the Classic, which brought me back to around even for the day. Gayego and Mastercraftsman were my lynchpin horses and both lost. A special thank you to Garrett Gomez for that brutal ride he gave Gayego in the Sprint. By the time the rail opened up, it was too late. I know it's redboarding, but, Gomez should've swung to the outside instead of waiting for the rail to open up.

Tom
11-07-2009, 09:25 PM
A couple of good ones, but overall, most of my bets were moving turning for home and disappeared in the stretch. Seen enough of SA to last me a lifetime.

bisket
11-07-2009, 09:29 PM
ahead 360, but just missed some really big ones a couple of times.

FantasticDan
11-07-2009, 09:39 PM
I threw out the heavy chalk all day long in a series of EX and TRI boxes, but unfortunately none of my longshots were the ones that came in.

Bust. :ThmbDown:

fmhealth
11-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Bet all 14 BC races. Used ten cents Supers with 2-3/5/5/5. Bet $104.00 total. Collected ZERO. Close on three or four but not close enough.

Congratulations to everyone that had a positive outcome in this "Rubick's Cube" of 'capping. It proved to be far more daunting than my meager skills could handle.

I think I'll stick with the NW2 that TUP features on a regular basis.

bisket
11-07-2009, 11:34 PM
supers are a tough bet to collect on. i wouldn't be so hard on yourself

cmoore
11-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Came out ahead..I flat bet all the Smart Strike and Giant Causeway runners..Smart Bid won the 1st race 29.80. ..Furthest Land won the 7th race 44.60... I played the DD in the Classic..Zenyatta with the two Unusual Heat runners in the 10th race..$147...

OTM Al
11-07-2009, 11:38 PM
It was brutal, but at least it was all house money I had built the last couple weeks. Oh well, back to square one again....

Pounded the Cannonball-CA Flag exacta and got split and Ventura couldn't get up in time to save a big straight Ventura-Informed Decision exacta, either of which would have made things right, but wasn't terribly close otherwise.

Still had fun though.

At least the wife hit the super in the Classic for a dime!

toussaud
11-07-2009, 11:51 PM
i actually had a damn good day. better day today than yesterday, basicaly broke even yesterday

I hit the exacta and the tri in the juvenille turf, the exacta in the turf and the exacta in the classic.

the only race i was not very close on today was the turf sprint. i threw the flag out. but i was right there with the rest of them.. well and the dirt mile i pounded neko bay but i had furthest land to come in 2nd.

miesque
11-08-2009, 12:04 AM
I hit a few exactas and tris but Vale of York was the horse that pushed me comfortably into the black for the venture.

slew101
11-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Lost $250 over three days (also played Thursday's card). My killer race was the sprint with the Mandella horse missing at 15-1. I didn't like any of the favorites but didn't include the Rosario horse despite playing the jockey in the prior two races thinking he would bring home at least one horse on the weekend.

I did like Matt Carothers, who also had the Mandella horse. When they showed the slow motion replay, you could hear him in the background say "ugh" as the 6 necked out of the 4 for the win.

DeanT
11-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Lost............... but that was one of the most wonderful two days of racing that I was fortunate enough to handicap.

Sometimes I wonder why I gripe and do horseplayer calls and get so involved in the sport.............. today was why.

DT

Grits
11-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I hit a few exactas and tris but Vale of York was the horse that pushed me comfortably into the black for the venture.

I lost, not a large sum, yesterday as I was down a good deal, but recovered late in the day with the winners and the exactas in the F&M Sprint and the L.Classic.

Did better today, starting out with the 2nd. Let it be noted . . . leave it to us women to keep digging and digging in search of an oyster with a handsome pearl inside. An oustanding exacta in the 5th, no doubt. I was pleased for Vale of York's former camel jock, who in spite of not the easiest of trips, won. And again later, grateful for Zenyatta's glorious run, along with Gio P, and Twice Over, for the exacta and trifecta in the Classic. Clunkers littered along the way, in the form of some costly spread Pic 3s that died in the two days, but these finished me on the positive side of the ledger for the BC.

Still, I believe the synthetic surface, when one is unaccustomed to it, is some tough-tough handicapping. I'm spent beyond the usual fatigue of handicapping, and I don't care to see more of the same surface for a long, long time.:faint: Or, the Euros either for that matter.:lol:

miesque
11-08-2009, 01:17 AM
I lost, not a large sum, yesterday as I was down a good deal, but recovered late in the day with the winners and the exactas in the F&M Sprint and the L.Classic.

Did better today, starting out with the 2nd. Let it be noted . . . leave it to us women to keep digging and digging in search of an oyster with a handsome pearl inside. An oustanding exacta in the 5th, no doubt. I was pleased for Vale of York's former camel jock, who in spite of not the easiest of trips, won. And again later, grateful for Zenyatta's glorious run, along with Gio P, and Twice Over, for the exacta and trifecta in the Classic. Clunkers littered along the way, in the form of some costly spread Pic 3s that died in the two days, but these finished me on the positive side of the ledger for the BC.

Still, I believe the synthetic surface, when one is unaccustomed to it, is some tough-tough handicapping. I'm spent beyond the usual fatigue of handicapping, and I don't care to see more of the same surface for a long, long time.:faint: Or, the Euros either for that matter.:lol:

It was an intense two days which was the culmination of a week at Santa Anita, but I have to say that even if I had not cashed a winning ticket it would have still been more then worth it to be sitting front and center experiencing this year's Classic in person. I am not someone who is characterized as wearing their heart on their sleeve, in fact it almost always pretty much the polar opposite. However, as Zenyatta cruised across the finish line I found myself in tears for a moment (which is something I try hard to not be prone to).

FormalGold1
11-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Discarded Piscitelli in the Juvenile. Had Lookin at Lucky and Vale of York on top.

Could not hit that 'all' button. :mad:

Java Gold@TFT
11-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Made a little on Friday but lost it back on Saturday. Ms. Homeister, Jr. could have made the weekend a lot better but that's racing.

redshift1
11-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Won $10.00 and nosed out twice with longshots but enjoyed both days and liked the ESPN coverage.

gm10
11-08-2009, 01:57 AM
I lost a lot. It had nothing to do with the surface, I just got unlucky about 4 times and was not coordinated enough in my betting decisions over the two days. I wish the BC was run on a synthetic surface every year.

Fantastic.

statepierback
11-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Ditto for me.....I don't know why I bet these races. Sure is fun though, guess that's why. I was freaking out when Gayego was trying to rally on the rail. That was my best of the day.

Gayego was my play of the day and that race dismantled everything. Ventura's loss yesterday didn't help either. I played some longshots also but not the ones that won. Damage four bills. :ThmbDown: :mad:

NY BRED
11-08-2009, 07:17 AM
PA:
I also loved the 7th race, but I especially touted RE to all my frineds
based upon the Tactics Todd used in pushing Ready in the Kelso
on a muddy track, which I felt was a drill to get some speed/stamina
unlike his normal racing style.

Secondly, RE ran a monster trip 2nd back in Sar at 7 fg with ugh,
Calvin Borel who was up yesterday.

I boxed the exacta of 2-3-4-10, boxed the same #'s in the super
bet RE across the board, and successfully shut myself out of the tri.:mad:

The topping was the inquiry, but it appeared there was off setting
bumping .Were it not for the bumping incident, RE wins, but
I'm thankful I walked away with some $$

Regards

Gary

BELMONT 6-6-09
11-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Lost on the two days...however was alive in the doubles with Gio Ponti (for a score), beaten by some bum LOL

bisket
11-08-2009, 08:40 AM
PA:
I also loved the 7th race, but I especially touted RE to all my frineds
based upon the Tactics Todd used in pushing Ready in the Kelso
on a muddy track, which I felt was a drill to get some speed/stamina
unlike his normal racing style.

Secondly, RE ran a monster trip 2nd back in Sar at 7 fg with ugh,
Calvin Borel who was up yesterday.

I boxed the exacta of 2-3-4-10, boxed the same #'s in the super
bet RE across the board, and successfully shut myself out of the tri.:mad:

The topping was the inquiry, but it appeared there was off setting
bumping .Were it not for the bumping incident, RE wins, but
I'm thankful I walked away with some $$

Regards

Gary
ready just needs to be on synthetics on a regular basis so his slow first 1/2 doesn't kill his chances. on dirt this is his main problem. he didn't win; and the words out now; so thats one big hit i hoped to collect on that won't happen. thats one thing i always do when watching races. i look for situations that a horse may excell in, and wait for the situation to arrive. then pounce on it. pletchers a dumb arse though, and you'll probably see the horse back on the dirt. :rolleyes:

bisket
11-08-2009, 08:43 AM
the race that really hurt was turf mile. if masterly gets through on the inside and gets up for third i was sitting on another 1500$ payday :bang:

JohnGalt1
11-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Had 8 horses in the last leg of the last pick 4, including the 4 and the 12. It cost me $32.

So 3 chalks and a 21-1 winner paid $752. So I hit it twice with the scratch.

Robert Goren
11-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Lost a little. The dynamite combination of bad luck and pure stupidity did me in. To paraphrase Jimmy Buffet. " Some will say that POLY was to blame, but I know it's my damm fault."

LottaKash
11-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Loaded up (for me) on the "Nobles Promise" race, and thought to be a winner at the top of the lane, but came up a bit short....Got it back to even with a "Goldikova" win bet saver...Won $4.00 for my two plays....:jump:

best,

headhawg
11-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I didn't play on Friday and only had Pounced as a winner on Saturday. I played both Presious Passion and Gio Ponti and got beat. Those would have made my day. Obviously. I played Gio w/p so it was only a slightly losing day.

Also played Silver Timber, Gayego, Noble's Promise, Court Vision, and Chocolate Candy so I was -- for the most part -- trying to hit some nice prices.

alytim
11-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Missed Life is Sweet in the pick four on Friday. Terrible ticket structure on that one. Played like Dave Kingman the rest of the weekend to no avail.

cj's dad
11-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Life is Sweet - Friday

Vale of York

Zenyatta/Gio Ponti - Exacta

Still lost a few $$ - seconditis quite a bit - both days

A. Pineda
11-08-2009, 11:11 AM
I only cashed twice, but those two tickets made my BC.

LIFE IS SWEET (win)

$10 EX LIFE IS SWEET/MUSHKA

I took a stand against ZENYATTA, but it was thrilling to see her triumph.

Zman179
11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I get crushed on the BC every year having lost on 25 out of the 26 runnings. The only thing that went right for me was when Quality Road freaked out in the gate and I got a refund. Other than that, I was dreadful as usual. I much prefer Delta Downs and Finger Lakes over million dollar races.

toussaud
11-08-2009, 12:09 PM
if vale of york would not have taken to the track at santa anita, i would have went straight to the car dealership, as I had the 2,3,4 in a trifecta box. still sick over that.

BUD
11-08-2009, 06:58 PM
my best hit wasnt a cup race-took 0 hadicapping---1 of the HANA members from
Chi town is named Merrily--I believe it was the 1st Friday?--I hammerd a WP wager-Merrilly comes in 2nd-@like 85/1 or close to that--Set me up--To have a bumper to absorb my losses

That doesnt speak well of my Handicapping--But its he truth--

mostpost
11-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I did not bet on Saturday. On Friday I lost $196. I was alive in the Pick four to Careless Jewell, which would have paid $611. Of course I lost that one due to the fact they put the finish line in the wrong place. (It should have been in the middle of the Backstretch!!!) :bang: :rolleyes:

wisconsin
11-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Bet small, but Gio Ponte in the Classic would have made for a bountiful Cup for me, but alas, was beaten by a better horse! :bang:

DeanT
11-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Lost a little. The dynamite combination of bad luck and pure stupidity did me in. To paraphrase Jimmy Buffet. " Some will say that POLY was to blame, but I know it's my damm fault."
Did you waste away in Santaanitaville?

Sorry I can't help myself. Six months ago I recited Van Halen lyrics on a handicapping thread. I am trying to get better, but it's hard :)

hazzardm
11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I am now completely in form for the competetive Bud drinking circuit.

startngate
11-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I made money on Friday and gave most of it back Saturday ... about even for the two days, but I had a lot of fun getting there ... :)

my_nameaintearl
11-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Until the classic i was sitting with about 400 in profit. But then i got some wonderful idea to bet alot of exotics without zenyatta and thought it waS A GREAT IDEA to lay $50v win bets on SB Ripvanwinkle Einstein.

dansan
11-10-2009, 12:15 AM
hit the dime super 5th race juvnle $2300 and just missed the 7th race super fav mastercraftman beat out my 6 horse at 44-1 for the 4 slot damn that would of been huge

NJ Stinks
11-10-2009, 12:15 AM
I thought Friday was a day full of opportunities except the Sprint. And I guess it was but not for me. :)

Going into the gate of the Dirt Mile Saturday I was down to my last $11 in my NJ Wagering account. When Furthest Land won everything changed. I hit the Goldikova-Furthest Land DD 6 times. Then I hit the Pick 3 ending with Conduit in the next race along with a Furthest Land-Conduit DD. And last but not least I hit the late Pick 3 after hitting the all button in the last leg and singling Conduit in the first leg.

My one regret is blowing too much before the Dirt Mile. I should have had the Furthest Land/ Conduit/Zenyatta Pick 3 and the Pick 4 starting with Goldikova and ending with Zenyatta. But I was low on cash by the 6th race. Money management was never my forte but then I think about the fact I'm not handicapping for a living - I'm in it to have fun! At least that's what I'm telling myself today. :bang:

Anyway, it was fun to come back into the black. I may whine about AWS but it was AWS form that drew me to Furthest Land Saturday.

ddog
11-10-2009, 01:36 PM
I always play BC to crush or be crushed......well.....

lost a photo on about 6 supers and a few tris for the two days.
made one bonehead mistake on a bet that cost about 4,000 in missed money.

not my best efforts.

2200.00 to the bad side.

heh, they still race. no biggie. Glad I could help some through a cold winter. :D

ddog
11-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Loaded up (for me) on the "Nobles Promise" race, and thought to be a winner at the top of the lane, but came up a bit short....Got it back to even with a "Goldikova" win bet saver...Won $4.00 for my two plays....:jump:

best,

that race really hurt. He moved Noble way way way tooooo sooooon.

a really bad ride imo.

bisket
11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
my biggest regret was the turf sprint. i posted the winning exacta earlier in the week, but somehow or another i got it in my head that late speed outside was going to win this race. ended up losing, but if i woulda stuck to the plan i had a good exacta. :bang:

parlay
11-10-2009, 06:57 PM
my best hit wasnt a cup race-took 0 hadicapping---1 of the HANA members from
Chi town is named Merrily--I believe it was the 1st Friday?--I hammerd a WP wager-Merrilly comes in 2nd-@like 85/1 or close to that--Set me up--To have a bumper to absorb my losses

That doesnt speak well of my Handicapping--But its he truth--

with this one as well.
Used the winner and another horse over the field with Bejerano in the
3 spot. First time i made money on Breeders day/s

WinterTriangle
11-11-2009, 04:05 PM
my biggest regret was the turf sprint. i posted the winning exacta earlier in the week, but somehow or another i got it in my head that late speed outside was going to win this race. ended up losing, but if i woulda stuck to the plan i had a good exacta. :bang:

NEVER change your first instincts.

I am looking over emails I wrote to friends from a week ago---- that asks if I'm *crazy* for thinking Dancing In Silks will win the Sprint, because he came out 1st in my own (pathetic) but nifty scoring system.

Then, everywhere I posted in contests, I forgot to put him in. :)

WinterTriangle
11-11-2009, 04:18 PM
OMG. Please let me brag here....can I gush? Since its in writing.

I just looked in on my other forum, and I won the Breeders Cup Handicapping contest for the entire weekend. :jump: :jump:

I didn't even know. Somebody just emailed me.

" congratulations to WinterTriangle who easily won the Breeders' Cup handicapping contest! "

Okay, this stuff means a lot to me, since I only started horse racing 2-2.5 years ago.

I need the confidence- building at this early point in my handicapping career. ;) ( I won the Oaklawn meet contest after 53 weeks in one of the categories at another forum last year.) I feel good that I'm going in the right direction at least! Because I really am somewhat of a newbie, but I try real hard.

PaceAdvantage
11-11-2009, 06:37 PM

I just looked in on my other forum, and I won the Breeders Cup Handicapping contest for the entire weekend. :jump: :jump:

I didn't even know. Somebody just emailed me.Congrats WT!! :ThmbUp:

Grits
11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
It should mean a lot, you worked and you were rewarded. That's a fine thing, Winter, way to go!!

ddog
11-12-2009, 02:09 PM

I didn't even know. Somebody just emailed me.

" congratulations to WinterTriangle who easily won the Breeders' Cup handicapping contest! "

Okay, this stuff means a lot to me, since I only started horse racing 2-2.5 years ago.

I need the confidence- building at this early point in my handicapping career. ;) ( I won the Oaklawn meet contest after 53 weeks in one of the categories at another forum last year.) I feel good that I'm going in the right direction at least! Because I really am somewhat of a newbie, but I try real hard.

Well done. NOw , the goal is not to get any worse. A little confidence is ok , a LOT .......................... who knows. COngrats. :)