PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup Coverage

Quagmire
11-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Jim Rome will be broadcasting his syndicated radio show from Santa Anita today.

OTM Al
11-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Rome is one of the converted to racing if I remember right. Must say I really don't like listening to him, but many do. After meeting Jim Everett though and seeing him in action, that whole calling him "Chris" thing was well deserved. Maybe if a few more of these broadcasters would get introduced to racing, they would talk more about it too. Wouldn't be a bad thing

Quagmire
11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
You are correct.

From wikipedia:

After poking fun at horse racing for some years, saying "it's not a sport, it's a bet", Rome seemed to take more interest in horse racing after interviewing great jockey Kent Desormeaux many times on his radio talk show. Rome has recently taken up a stronger interest in buying thoroughbreds. He was a part owner in Wing Forward, who, in his North American debut, made a dramatic last-to-first comeback to win the race. Rome mentioned it as "one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had."

In 2008, Jim and his wife Janet purchased a stake in a two-year-old colt, giving them a potential shot at the Triple Crown stakes races in 2009. Listeners have suggested names for the horse. The colt was eventually named Gallatin's Run.[9]

Jim is now owns part or all of seven horses in connection with Little Redfeather Racing and Billy Koch, including:

* El Manuel
* Hot n' Dusty
* Gallatin's Run
* Surfer Girl (owns outright)

SMOO
11-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Let's just hope his horses don't pause as much as he does.

Steven Kolb
11-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I think he'll be talking quality about the Cup and the sport.

He has a huge audience - hopefully many listeners will become intrigued.

It can be a win for him, horse racing, you and me - if he presents in
a fun and exciting tone.

sandpit
11-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Just listened to him for about 15 minutes; he was like a kid in a candy store, saying how beautiful the weather was, sitting trackside looking at the mountains. He had Chip Wooley on, giving him a bunch of softball questions. Likewise with Greg Avioli (sp) of the BC...Avioli sounded like an idiot, per usual...he said this year we (the BC) needed to take better care of the fans...WTF, it took them 25 years to come to that realization???

firstoffclaim
11-06-2009, 04:06 PM
I hate the blimp shots of the races, and Goldberg's mic was too low thankfully as Mastery(his pick) lost at 6-5