PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Breeders Cup race..."A RACING EPIC"

FastAndFurious
11-05-2009, 08:41 PM
No doubt..Sunday Silence and Easy Goer In A Racing Epic..

Quick note:The reason Easy Goer never beat Sunday Silence going 2 turns was because Easy Goer always seem to lose ground around THE TURNS maybe because he was so big..Sunday Silence was more athletic.Silence was the better horse.He won in the west coast and east coast ,shug never left home with Easy Goer.

slew101
11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Alphabet Soup's Classic win was my favorite but I liked the Arcangues race as well even without cashing anything. Durkin's call was great in that race ("Bertrando....with an onslaught of challengers."

As for Easy Goer, he did beat Sunday Silence around two turns, in the Belmont.

tzipi
11-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Arazi absolutely CRUSHING the field!

AND ARAZI RUNS RIGHT BY THEM!!!! Gives me chills.

illinoisbred
11-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Black Tie Affair's Classic win. Street Sense and Dreaming of Anna's juvenile wins. I always root for the "locals".

sandpit
11-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Lure's two time crushing in the Mile, blowing away the track record at Gulfstream and winning from the rail and the far outside. As good as any turf miler in 20 years and maybe the best horse ever to not be voted champion.

gheuks
11-05-2009, 09:33 PM
the unconquerable, invinsible, unbeatable Cigar

tzipi
11-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Or how about the 93 Juvenile.

"THERE'S A NEW KID ON THE BLOCK AND HIS NAME IS BROCCOOOO!" Great race and call.

overthehill
11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I have 2:

wild again outgaming slew o gold. and personal ensign running down winning colors.

OTM Al
11-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I will always remember Ouija Board's 2nd (and should have been 3rd) F&M Turf win. Absolute perfection.

toussaud
11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
war chant breeders cup mile.

slew101
11-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Not for me. I had North East Bound at 43-1 and like a dolt, didn't have War Chant in the exacta.

war chant breeders cup mile.

Java Gold@TFT
11-06-2009, 12:07 AM
11 posts in and no-one has mentioned the Personal Ensign Distaff yet? The epic to end all epics.

The SS-EG Classic was a great race but not as epic as their Preakness.

SmartyLane
11-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Tiznow wins it for AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two of the greatest races in BC history IMO. What a game horse he was!!!

FastAndFurious
11-06-2009, 06:42 AM
You right in the Belmont at the 1 1/2.

FastAndFurious
11-06-2009, 06:53 AM
What about the spellbounding strech duel between Flanders and Serenas Song
Or Ferdinand and Alysheba "both derby winners hit the wire together."

Java Gold@TFT
11-06-2009, 08:13 AM
What about the spellbounding strech duel between Flanders and Serenas Song
Or Ferdinand and Alysheba "both derby winners hit the wire together."
Best head to head stretch drive was Theatrical and Trempolino. Theatrical would not lose to the Arc winner.

Murph
11-06-2009, 08:18 AM
When Dayjur jumped the pole shadows, not once but twice, I was amazed. I have no idea how SK ended up in my exacta box that day.

1995 is my most memorable classic. In our group, no one could decide who to use with Cigar. We all were afraid of spreading too much in the exactas. 5 mins to post I get up to bet without a word and they ask me ... who are you playing? I said $20 wheel with Unaccounted For and L'Carriere. They laughed at me and said if you get UA you lose money and your other horse doesn't have a chance. They want to leave after the race and I told them go ahead, I'd rather walk than ride home with such hopeless losers.

Fun day and evening as I recall, it doesn't seem like it's been 15 yrs.

Valuist
11-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Black Tie Affair's Classic win. Street Sense and Dreaming of Anna's juvenile wins. I always root for the "locals".

Don't forget Unbridled's win in the 1990 Classic, Buck's Boy in the Turf, One Dreamer at 25-1 in the Distaff, She Be Wild in the Juvie Fillies.....oops getting ahead of myself on that one.

Valuist
11-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Most memorable races:

Classic: Ferdinand and Alysheba, the 2 Derby winners hit the line together
Turf: Manila running down Theatrical in deep stretch after Santos had dropped his whip.
Juvenile: Most impressive were the blowout wins by Street Sense and Arazi
Sprint: Dayjur passing Safely Kept in deep stretch only to jump a shadow and get passed by SK in the closing yards
Mile (Turf) Lure starting from the 14 hole and just overpowering the field
Juvenile Fillies--can't remember the name, but like Lure, this filly had the 14 or 13 hole and just blew the field away in the 2003 running at SA.

Murph
11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Best head to head stretch drive was Theatrical and Trempolino. Theatrical would not lose to the Arc winner.1987 BC Turf (http://www.breederscup.com/greatestmoments.aspx?year=1987&divisionname=turf)
My early years of capping, I recall studying and learning so much from this race. It's the first race where I finally understood what the other cappers meant when they referred to "class".

boomman
11-06-2009, 09:24 AM
I have 2:

wild again outgaming slew o gold. and personal ensign running down winning colors.

Without a doubt the greatest race I ever saw (probably because I was there) was the 1984 Inaugural Breeder's Cup Classic @ Hollywood Park when the HUGE crowd was roaring all the way down the stretch as Wild Again with my friend Pat Day aboard, Slew of Gold and Gate Dancer battled all the way to the wire! If any of you missed it, go to the Breeder's Cup website to view, and you're in for a treat!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

46zilzal
11-06-2009, 09:44 AM
1984 right there on the line with a classic Classic

1986 touted manila over Dancing Brave and was exonerated

cj's dad
11-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Wins in '96 and then again in '98 with only one start in between.

Michael Dickinson - amazing training job - amazing horse.

sandpit
11-06-2009, 02:01 PM
11 posts in and no-one has mentioned the Personal Ensign Distaff yet? The epic to end all epics.

The SS-EG Classic was a great race but not as epic as their Preakness.

Re: Personal Ensign, see post 8.

sandpit
11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Redboard time for the 1994 BC Turf at CD. I was in the seats somewhat past the finish line when the field goes by the first time and my picks are in 13th and 14th (ugh)...however, a mile later it's Tikkanen and Hatoof 1-2 and a $363 exacta. I had been lucky to watch the BC horses train for the better part of 2 weeks, and I have still to this day not seen a horse glow like Tikkanen did that final week; simple awesome.

reezysrt10
11-06-2009, 02:34 PM

I agree.. awsome races

joanied
11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
This is very hard:bang: ...I recently watched a TV special (either HRTV or TVG) that showed highlights from all the Breeders Cups...and one can conclude...there are so many 'best' BC races that it's amazing...one thing about the BC...some of us have problems with some of the aspects of the event...but if you go back throught all of them...you can appreciate the kind of racing we see on that day(s)...it's incredible, and we must embrace this event, despite it's 'problems'...it really is our Championship day(s).
Mine...just off the top of my head;
Tiznow (both, but 2001 was very emotional for me)
Personal Ensign & Winning Colors
Cigar
Da Hoss (second time)
Serena's Song & Flanders

OOPPPSSS...Todays BC just came on...gotta go...maybe after tomorrow we can include Zenyatta on this list:)

:jump: :jump: :jump:

nearco
11-06-2009, 03:46 PM
That was an EPIC right there!

Way to go Man of Iron.... and esp way to go Better Than Honour, what a broodmare.

Valuist
11-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Don't forget Unbridled's win in the 1990 Classic, Buck's Boy in the Turf, One Dreamer at 25-1 in the Distaff, She Be Wild in the Juvie Fillies.....oops getting ahead of myself on that one.

Actually I didn't get ahead of myself saying this morning that She Be Wild would win the Juvie Fillies. How often does one get 8-1 on the Cat Man? Chalk another one up for the Midwest, who tends to get ignored at the windows.

joanied
11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
That was an EPIC right there!

Way to go Man of Iron.... and esp way to go Better Than Honour, what a broodmare.

Yes:ThmbUp: ...that mare is incredible...priceless!!

Jasonm921
12-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Lure, in my opinion is a Hall of Famer. If you had to field a mythical Breeder's Cup Turf Mile, Lure would be in the starting gate and would be one of the favorites.

Stillriledup
12-05-2009, 07:44 PM
I was at that 89 Cup, one of the best Cup days ever. Glorious weather and tons of amazing racing. Didn't hurt that i had an amazing betting day either!

Paseana
12-06-2009, 12:30 AM
The 2001 Sprint.......

I honestly think that this was one of the greatest training jobs of Bobby Frankel's storied career. Squirtle Squirt ran for him the first time in early May 2001 in a 6f classified allowance. He wired with fractions of 21-2, 43-2, 55-1, stopping the clock in 1:08-3. I believe that, at that moment, Bobby decided he was going to win the Breeders Cup Sprint with this horse. He saw Caller One, Xtra Heat, and others on the horizon, and he knew that building stamina into Squirtle Squirt was everything.

Frankel ran that son-of-a-gun in 4 straight 7 furlong stakes, 3 GI's and a GII. He actually only won one of them, the GI King's Bishop, but finished 2nd by 1/2 length in all of the other 3, after leading from the gate and caught at the wire.

Cutting back to 6f in the Breeders Cup Sprint, Squirtle Squirt pressed in 3rd off of 22-2, 44-3, and 5 furlongs in 56-1, before splitting the game but tiring Caller One and Xtra Heat to win by a half in 1:08-2......earning a 119 BSF. Talk about pointing a horse to a specific race!

Doubly amazing is that Squirtle Squirt's win in that Sprint was Frankel's first Breeders Cup win after being shut out some 25 times or something like that. Bobby Frankel gets his first BC win with a freakin' dirt sprinter! Who Knew!

I'll bet his barn knew......the Squirt went off at nearly 10/1!

nijinski
12-06-2009, 01:01 AM
1984 right there on the line with a classic Classic

1986 touted manila over Dancing Brave and was exonerated

Manila won a real class race , beating not only Dancing Brave but also
Theatrical and Estrapade.

cj
12-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Manila beating that year's unbeatable Euro Dancing Brave.

Bochall
12-06-2009, 12:52 PM

One of only 2 or 3 races that have brought tears to my eyes...that Durkin call about winning it for America was perfect.:ThmbUp:

Valuist
12-06-2009, 01:01 PM
1. Wild Again prevailing over Gate Dancer and Slew O Gold. This race put the BC on the map.
2. Manila beating Theatrical and Dancing Brave. Might've been the best grass field ever assembled in the U.S.
3. Personal Ensign rallying to stay perfect when she ran down the Derby winner, Winning Colors.
4. The filly Safely Kept re-rallying to pass Dayjur after Dayjur jumped a shadow in deep stretch.