PDA

View Full Version : Brisnet Race Ratings

Jay Trotter
11-04-2009, 12:16 PM
When handicapping I like to use the Brisnet Race Ratings (RR) to gauge class, especially when comparing runners from different tracks or races with odd conditions. Generally, I would say it is a decent way of comparing levels.

I'm just throwing it out there for feedback as to how reliable people find these numbers and what might the drawbacks be using them?

Now that the BC cappin' is in full swing any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

markgoldie
11-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Been using them for years. Think they are reasonably reliable. However, through the months of discussions I have had on the forum here, I don't think there are too many who take minor changes in class ratings into serious consideration. They are more into final speed figs and pace figs, as well as raw pace times, energy distribution, and pars for class and early speed.
My long-held belief, though, is that as RR's go up, the final spd. will tend to go down, and so I take it into consideration.

fmolf
11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
i have also found them to be useful especially in conjunction with the average competitive level in the race summary table.I look for horses who's speed an pace numbers remain the same but were raised in class last race.I only use them as a general guideline but i am sure with some digging and research one could find more definitive angles using them.

Onion Monster
11-04-2009, 09:14 PM
A few things I've found...

1. Any drop of 2-3 Race Rating points is a significant drop in class.

2. Conversely, I worry about a rise of 4 or more rating points from a recent winner when jumping up in class.

3. They underestimate the Graded Stakes events. I use a simple, albeit completely arbitrary, 2 points for G3, 4 points for G2 and 6 points for G1 events to boost my class ratings.

4. I bump-up all imports a couple of Race Rating points too.

5. Downgrade the Race Ratings for some of the state bred races. This can be tricky, with some states producing better animals than others.

I think they're the best thing Bris produces.

Jay Trotter
11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. Just the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

Trotter:ThmbUp:

GaryG
11-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I like them as well. The only weakness I have found is that some state-bred races (especially NY) seem to be rated too high. Their class figs are a hell of a lot better than their speed (avg at best) and pace (useless) figs.

Onion Monster
11-05-2009, 09:36 AM
I like them as well. The only weakness I have found is that some state-bred races (especially NY) seem to be rated too high. Their class figs are a hell of a lot better than their speed (avg at best) and pace (useless) figs.

Agreed.