PDA

View Full Version : Advice on playing Breeder's Cup (to save Mom's house!)

Lateralus
11-04-2009, 01:41 AM
I play the Breeder's Cup big (well, for me it's big) every year. This year has a bit of a special significance... my mother is in serious danger of losing her home. She lost her business which was highly successful for 8 years, a women's clothing store on the Oregon Coast. The business went under because of a combination of the recession and fuel prices. Fuel prices because the stores in her area rely a great deal on RV'ers going up and down highway 101. They quit coming when fuel prices skyrocketted. She owes $300K on her house which is worth about $750K, and it's been for sale and dropped all the way down to $569K which is damn near a giveaway price for her property. Not even a single OFFER in this dead market. In a few months barring some miracle, she's going to lose everything she's worked for. ZERO hope for a refinance because she can't make the payments. I don't make enough money to get her a refi or enough to contribute anything more than token amounts either.

So back to the Breeder's Cup... I play every year, typically with a $2K bankroll. This year I couldn't afford it at all, so this year I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay in a massive "spring cleaning" type project to create a bankroll. It looks like my bankroll will be about $1500. If I get REALLY lucky I may have an extra $1K which will bump it to $2500. Honestly, I think to save my mom's home I'm going to need to come out ahead in EXCESS of $50,000.... no easy task. But as everyone here knows, Breeder's Cup presents the best opportunity of the year.

Recommendations on how to apportion my bankroll?

My thinking at present is:

1: Roll all the daily doubles and pick 3's
2: Play the pick 4's, but with smaller tickets than I'd like
3: Play $5 exactas and $1 tris
4: Play 10 cent supers with full combinations and smaller $1 supers (and hope to god to hit paydirt)
5: IF I start to do well early, play full combination pick 4's, bigger doubles and pick 3's, and perhaps a pick 6 with 2 singles
6: If I REALLY start to do well, as in get a few grand ahead, bigger tris and exactas, and if I REALLY *REALLY* start to kick ass, put together a REAL pick 6 for day 2.

Thoughts? Advice?

I'm NOT an expert handicapper; I hope to be one day but I can't be considered anything but a beginner really. Because of this, on Breeder's Cup (and on Derby day, etc) Ellis Starr is my go to guy. I don't know of a better public longshot handicapper and if someone does, please fill me in. This year though, I'm a bit torn as to what direction to go in. For everything BUT Southern California, Ellis is my go to guy. HOWEVER, for SoCal, my go to guy is Bob Selvin (hello Bob, if you happen to read this). Bob made a good point that this Breeder's Cup is unique because like last year, we're on his home turf. But as good as Bob is for SoCal (the best public capper for SoCal IMO) it's his partner Jeff Siegel who knows these horses inside and out. I'm going to buy the handicapping of all three, Ellis, Bob and Jeff for Breeder's Cup. However, WHAT TO DO? I'm worried that if I decide to go with Ellis, Bob or Jeff will tear the card up. Likewise, I'm worried if I go with Bob or Jeff, Ellis will end up tearing it up. I suppose I could "merge" all three into a "consensus" type plan but then could end up kicking myself if my "merging" costs me a bundle. Consider:

1: Ellis Starr is the best longshot handicapper I've found. On Derby Day, if I had played, I would have made over $14,000 with Ellis on Pick 3's, a great pick 4 and a few other goodies. Ellis is the kind of capper that can get that one (or multiple!) MONSTER hit. He ain't playing chalk, although the chalk may be included in the exotics.

2: Bob Selvin has a fair odds line and is the best of the 3 for exacta, trifecta and pick 3 consistency. But, for these two particular days it's Jeff Siegel that knows these horses inside and out as it's his job with TVG to follow all of the top horses all year long. Also, since Ellis plays three different circuits as opposed to Bob's one, he should know these horses better as well. (Not knocking Bob at all - he knows the year round SoCal circuit best of all IMO)

3: Jeff Siegel knows these horses inside and out, but isn't anywhere near the exacta / trifecta expert Bob is. On nearly ALL races he suggests two or three contenders per race and to simply box them in exactas / tris every race. Definitely not an exotics capper, and without question not an exacta / tri / superfecta capper (which is what I'm going to need to save my mom's property.) Jeff also tends to be on chalk consistently as well for day to day SoCal racing. I doubt he'll be on chalk for Breeder's Cup, but will still likely be more on obvious horses over Breeder's Cup than Bob or Ellis. But there is no denying, between Ellis, Bob and Jeff, Jeff knows these horses the best, probably by a mile.

So as everyone can probably tell, I'm confused (to put it mildly) about the best way to proceed and who to use. If Breeder's Cup was not in SoCal I'd use Ellis like I do every year. There are compelling reasons to use Bob and Jeff this year though.

dav4463
11-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Breeders Cup is a day to be lucky. Find a decent handicapper and play his/her 3rd, 4th, 5th choice over his/her 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th choice and hope to get lucky with a big exacta. If you throw out the top two choices by the public capper you choose; you will probably get more value.

Lateralus
11-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Breeders Cup is a day to be lucky. Find a decent handicapper and play his/her 3rd, 4th, 5th choice over his/her 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th choice and hope to get lucky with a big exacta. If you throw out the top two choices by the public capper you choose; you will probably get more value.

Thanks :) I agree with 100%. I should note that Ellis Starr in particular will commonly throw out ALL the chalk if he thinks his longshots have a decent shot at the upset. However if the chalk seriously figures and so do some longshots, that can pay well too. Not monster, but well. The monster hits would be in my exacta combos as well though. If anything will do what I need to save my mom's property though I'm guessing it will be the tris, supers and pick 3's, and especially the pick 4's. Getting a monster exacta would certainly give me the ammunition to seriously go after those, that's for sure. ;)

sammy the sage
11-04-2009, 07:43 AM
""5: IF I start to do well early, play full combination pick 4's, bigger doubles and pick 3's, and perhaps a pick 6 with 2 singles
6: If I REALLY start to do well, as in get a few grand ahead, bigger tris and exactas, and if I REALLY *REALLY* start to kick ass, put together a REAL pick 6 for day 2""

the TWO statements....really mean DOOM...failure is 99.9% prob...and perhaps your story isn't true...sound like an action junkie.... :rolleyes:

if SERIOUS....

pick your BEST p/4 or 2 best p/3 seqence's and bet them multiple times...

last year...(classic REDBOARD, sorry)...hit p/4 4x's...at $2500..(10k) at pop for $250 bucks...

that's REALLLY the only logical way....if I had done 40x's...well you do the math...of course pay-off smaller...BUT...

do way your gonna do by just rolling...unless EXTREMELY lucky...only ONE miss will do YOU IN....

Lateralus
11-04-2009, 08:17 AM
""5: IF I start to do well early, play full combination pick 4's, bigger doubles and pick 3's, and perhaps a pick 6 with 2 singles
6: If I REALLY start to do well, as in get a few grand ahead, bigger tris and exactas, and if I REALLY *REALLY* start to kick ass, put together a REAL pick 6 for day 2""

the TWO statements....really mean DOOM...failure is 99.9% prob...and perhaps your story isn't true...sound like an action junkie.... :rolleyes:

if SERIOUS.....

I'm 100% serious I'm afraid. Of course, the house could sell, but at this time of year? I doubt it.

I guess I should clarify what I meant. I meant, if I catch a big exacta, tri, etc. I wouldn't go from playing $1 to $5 pick 4's, I'd throw in more horses on a $1 ticket. I think I shall avoid the pick 6 entirely unless I manage to get WAY ahead. Even if I were to get way ahead it would probably be best spent on exactas / tris / pick 3's I imagine.

garyscpa
11-04-2009, 08:38 AM
I think the best way to win $50k would be to make a series of bets, any one of which would pay $50k. That way you only have to be lucky once.

For instance, a $50 straight super per race, or something similar. Or a $100 straight tri. You can estimate the payoffs based on the M/L odds of the horses and prior year payoffs, so if you hit anything that's not straight chalk, you might get a pretty good pay. A $500 tri, 100 times equals $50k.

And if you buy them in $1 increments, you won't have the withholding problem, although the winnings are still subject to income tax.

If you do this you have to get to the track early and find a machine that's not busy, because it will take you about an hour to key in all of your bets.

That's the best I can do for you, Happy Gilmore. :)

LottaKash
11-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Why not try to find a "Roulette Wheel"...play "red" five times in a row...Boom, your $1500 is now $48K.....

It sounds like this is what you are trying to do...Hey, you only have to beat one "horse" (color-black) to have any shot...Sounds easier and more straightfoward to me, than what you are trying to acccomplish in one day....

I wish you and your mom "good fortune" with your "pie in the sky " plan...:jump:...I hope you do it....:jump:

best,

MONEY
11-04-2009, 09:51 AM
1st let me give you a little history. In my adult life I have gone from homeless to owning two houses, (one a million dollar home), to homeless again and everything in between.

From what I have read, you are not trying to save your moms home. What you are doing is trying to hold on to it until she sells it for $569,000.

She owes $300,000. My suggestion is to lower the price again. If she comes out of it with $150,000 or $200,000 after she pays what she owes she'll have enough money to rent a nice condo in a good neighborhood for a few years.

Your mom is an entrepreneur. With a little luck she'll be able to build another successful business and become a homeowner again soon.

That $2,500 that you will have by race time seems to be money that you need. You shouldn't gamble with money that is needed to pay bills. Give the money to your mom for Christmas or whatever holiday you will be celebrating this time of the year.
Good Luck

magwell
11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
The sure way to make a small fortune on the BC is to bring a big one....seriously though, there will be plenty of value if you can go deep enough in the p3 and p4's that's the way I play on these kind of days, good luck I hope you "get lucky"

Grits
11-04-2009, 10:24 AM
1st let me give you a little history. In my adult life I have gone from homeless to owning two houses, (one a million dollar home), to homeless again and everything in between.

From what I have read, you are not trying to save your moms home. What you are doing is trying to hold on to it until she sells it for $569,000.

She owes $300,000. My suggestion is to lower the price again. If she comes out of it with $150,000 or $200,000 after she pays what she owes she'll have enough money to rent a nice condo in a good neighborhood for a few years.

Your mom is an entrepreneur. With a little luck she'll be able to build another successful business and become a homeowner again soon.

That $2,500 that you will have by race time seems to be money that you need. You shouldn't gamble with money that is needed to pay bills. Give the money to your mom for Christmas or whatever holiday you will be celebrating this time of the year.
Good Luck

Outstanding post, Money.

Too, Lateralus, one only has to go back and read your prior posts to know that this tale could well be bogus. In your other posts you speak of being a new horseplayer, you speak of reading many, many handicapping books, along with using software. Also, you speak of living in Vegas, of poker play, of day trading, of sitting with successful longshot players in racebooks who won't share their secrets, and of betting using the selections of touts, nationwide . . . . . then, quitting on all of it when Eight Belles went down, only to resurface later. All of which is fine, but do you simply find yourself in these financial dilemmas, when big race days roll around?

Play the Breeders' Cup days or not, do your own work, or don't play.

Its not an easy game. A great one, but not an easy one. And everyone that plays it works pretty hard at their handicapping.

Sorry, I hope, if your mother is, indeed, losing her home, you'll note for her--what Money has told you here, though, SHE, without your assistance, is probably weighing such conclusions.

rokitman
11-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Good luck.

Bruddah
11-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Good Luck

The MONEY man expresses my sentiments and a sound strategy for the economic times. DON"T HAVE THE HOUSE FORCLOSED ! She will not win in that scenario. If foreclosure is imminent, better to lower the price to what would be attractive to investors and come out with some pocket money. (JMHO)

WinterTriangle
11-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't make enough money to get her a refi or enough to contribute anything more than token amounts either.

If the house is appraised at 750K +, and she only owes $300K, I would imagine she qualifies for home equity or refi, neither of which would cost more than 2,500. But, even in a down market, a savvy investor would jump at an opportunity to buy a house worth $750K (and a simple $300 from a certified general appraiser will confirm or disaffirm that) for $550K. Worst case scenario, sell it for less, and combined with the equity your mom has in the home, she'll walk away with enough to buy a nice condo in this down market.

That said, I wish you a lot of luck making a big win in the BC, but I wouldn't make it a "life or death" deal, which is what you're doing, because in the scheme of things, there's a psychological component here that effects outcome....desperation.....and believe me, it will affect how you play and your decision making.

As another poster said, I've been near homeless (living in travel trailer) to having a beautiful piece of land 6 acres with gorgeous cabin on it, by just getting friends to help build, and piecing together enough to purchase the land. I'm glad I didn't risk my very small bankroll for this on a horserace, though. :) I would not have done that, simply because I had zero chance of coming up with it again if I had lost it.:) (We are talking buying floor boards "one at a time" until I had floors, though, and ditto for bringing up utilities, building a road thru the woods, using my own trees and taking to sawmill for lumber, etc. It was years in the making, and mostly done by myself and friends and some bartering for cheap labor. (My entire porch is built with cedar trees that I cut down on my own property, etc.) Very charming. Most people need instant gratification and would not have been willing to live like that for 8+ years in order to "have something".

If something should go wrong, please put your mom in touch with some qualified experts who can direct her in her situation......I do not see your mom as becoming homeless under her present circumstances, she has a lot more than a lot of people, believe it or not. (I live in ARkansas, so I can say that with some certainty!)

Best of luck to ya on Friday and Saturday! Let us know how you do.

Fleur-de-lis
11-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Best of luck.

I can not help but think of one of Mark Cramer's book when I read the post.

fmhealth
11-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Lateralus, I believe you should concentrate on the primary issue which is selling your Mom's house. This is what my wife & I did last December in Chicago.

"Comps" for houses similar to ours were in the area of $700,000. Nothing was moving. We had our broker list it on MLS at 3 PM Saturday for $500,000. We had three offers by Sunday evening. House sold for $492,000. Took that cash & bid $500,000 for a $700,000 home here in the mountains of Scottsdale. Seller almost immediately took our bid with no counter offer at all.

The point I'm trying to make is that your Mom's house is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Use your energy on developing creative selling strategies that will help Mom move on with her life & stave-off some serious financial consequences. Cash really is KING in these transactions.

Best wishes & I hope this helped a bit. Stay well.

FMH

CBedo
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I play the Breeder's Cup big (well, for me it's big) every year. This year has a bit of a special significance... my mother is in serious danger of losing her home. She lost her business which was highly successful for 8 years, a women's clothing store on the Oregon Coast. The business went under because of a combination of the recession and fuel prices. Fuel prices because the stores in her area rely a great deal on RV'ers going up and down highway 101. They quit coming when fuel prices skyrocketted. She owes $300K on her house which is worth about $750K, and it's been for sale and dropped all the way down to $569K which is damn near a giveaway price for her property. Not even a single OFFER in this dead market. In a few months barring some miracle, she's going to lose everything she's worked for. ZERO hope for a refinance because she can't make the payments. I don't make enough money to get her a refi or enough to contribute anything more than token amounts either.

So back to the Breeder's Cup... I play every year, typically with a $2K bankroll. This year I couldn't afford it at all, so this year I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay in a massive "spring cleaning" type project to create a bankroll. It looks like my bankroll will be about $1500. If I get REALLY lucky I may have an extra $1K which will bump it to $2500. Honestly, I think to save my mom's home I'm going to need to come out ahead in EXCESS of $50,000.... no easy task. But as everyone here knows, Breeder's Cup presents the best opportunity of the year.And people wonder why horse players are considered degenerate gamblers? :bang:

Dave Schwartz
11-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Lateralus,

First, I applaude the people of PA for not being judgemental with you. Recall the famous (around here) PK Truck Driver thread where he spoke over and over again of "getting lucky." I can tell you that the PA guys were way tougher on him than they were you.

Second, my reality of this situation is a vision of $1,500 with wings on it flying into the sunset.

All that being said, what you are trying to do is get 33-1 on the money without any real "earned" advantage. I cannot imagine that anyone's posted picks are really going to be positive expectancy wagers of the magnitude that you need.

You are reduced to "trying to get lucky."

As most around here know, without an edge, the more wagers you make the worse it is for the negative expectancy gambler.

Therefore, my recommendation is as few wagers as possible. Probably the best deal for you would be to walk into a Las Vegas casino that will allow you a parlay of some kind - the roulette idea was a good one - probably the best shot you'll get.

But, since you aren't IN Las Vegas, the next best thing is pick sixes not only at the BC but around the country.

Now, this may sound like me plugging someone else's product, but just the other day I was reading one of Ken Massa's old newsletters where he spoke about his vulnerability index. I am sure one or more of his "posse" could point you to the article.

As Mr. Massa said in the article, (I paraphrase) "when you are in a contest and need a long shot the "Vi" will help you pick the race.

So, I would suggest that this would be a good project for some of his guys to post a few potential cards that have at least two races in the pick-six with a high "Vi" rating. Then you could structure some tickets in those races, to get the most bang for your buck.

Please note that my intention was not to put Mr. Massa on the spot. Perhaps he/they will have no interest. Perhaps it is too much work. On the other hand, it is nice potential exposure of a very good feature in a very good product.

Best of LUCK to you.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

DeadHeat
11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
In reality, you will need more than $50,000 because of the tax man.

SMOO
11-04-2009, 04:07 PM
To quote a great man "click a mouse - lose a house"

JustRalph
11-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I have seen it all on this board now.................

tzipi
11-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Put it all on Gio Ponti to win! and a late double with him.

my_nameaintearl
11-04-2009, 05:00 PM
take 200 of your bank roll buy a small pea shooter and rob a store you will have better luck then this "Plan" you have

DRIVEWAY
11-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Of the 14 breeders cup races pick 5 races with the best potential for major league payoffs.

Wager 20% of your bankroll on each race. Concentrate on tri and super combinations.

This will give you the best chance of a score.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Have an open house and price your mother's house slightly below the fair market value. People will trip over one another making bids.

Price the house at $488K!!

Lateralus
11-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Of the 14 breeders cup races pick 5 races with the best potential for major league payoffs.

Wager 20% of your bankroll on each race. Concentrate on tri and super combinations.

This will give you the best chance of a score.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Have an open house and price your mother's house slightly below the fair market value. People will trip over one another making bids.

Price the house at $488K!!

Hey thanks for the advice DRIVEWAY. Honestly I think that's good advice, 5 races and taking a shot. $300 per. Hit one early with any luck provides ammo for hopefully hitting a monster.

As for the house, we literally had open houses from 10am to 6pm every weekend from early July through mid October and lowered the price several times. This is a pristine, 1.5 acre lakefront property on the Oregon Coast that looks like a friggin park. Seriously, you should see this place. New dock and pier too. Tons of people from the open houses through the place and all just raving about it. Yet not even an offer even though it is way, way below market. Yes she could lower it more but at this price and not even a lowball offer?? And I can say with absolute, 100% certainty her property is already priced WELL below all of the other lakefront property in this area. NOTHING is moving here. But we will continue to try. The problem with lowering it TOO much leaves little room for an offer.

Definitely appreciate the advice.

Lateralus
11-04-2009, 09:42 PM
And people wonder why horse players are considered degenerate gamblers? :bang:

The degenerates blow entire paychecks. If all horse players only wagered what they made selling excess "stuff" out of their garage on eBay (which they wouldn't have bothered spending the time selling anyway otherwise), would they be considered degenerates?

Lateralus
11-04-2009, 09:49 PM
This is for those who believe my "plan" is absurd and "now they've read everything" etc. Remember, it's not a pay check. It's $1500 I raised from selling stuff in my garage I've just been storing, specifically with the intention of "taking a shot". So it's not as though I'm blowing a paycheck or something. I wouldn't have taken all the time to sell my excess "stuff" anyway. I know full well this is simply an attempt to hit one out of the park and end this problem with one swing of the bat. Fail? Certainly likely I'll strike out and I'm already beginning with an 0-2 count.... but I've got a job, will look for a better one, and I've got plenty more "stuff" I can sell on eBay.

And, yes indeed, (in case anyone refers to my first post) in many years past I've played about $2K over the course of Breeder's Cup thinking of hitting a giant pick 3 or pick 4, tri, super, whatever. All of those years however were years when money was easily plentiful enough for me to take a once a year, $2K shot on the Breeder's Cup. (And I had some big close calls with what would have been the monster pick 3's I was after I might add.) It isn't so this year, and hence my eBay "garage sale".

Lateralus
11-04-2009, 09:50 PM
take 200 of your bank roll buy a small pea shooter and rob a store you will have better luck then this "Plan" you have

I guess that means $1500 over the course of the Breeder's Cup gives one zero chance of hitting a decent tri or super then. Sorry, my mistake.

Backstretch Pirate
11-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Get yourself a good coach. Just like Happy Gilmore did.

The Hawk
11-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey thanks for the advice DRIVEWAY. Honestly I think that's good advice, 5 races and taking a shot. $300 per. Hit one early with any luck provides ammo for hopefully hitting a monster.

As for the house, we literally had open houses from 10am to 6pm every weekend from early July through mid October and lowered the price several times. This is a pristine, 1.5 acre lakefront property on the Oregon Coast that looks like a friggin park. Seriously, you should see this place. New dock and pier too. Tons of people from the open houses through the place and all just raving about it. Yet not even an offer even though it is way, way below market. Yes she could lower it more but at this price and not even a lowball offer?? And I can say with absolute, 100% certainty her property is already priced WELL below all of the other lakefront property in this area. NOTHING is moving here. But we will continue to try. The problem with lowering it TOO much leaves little room for an offer.

Definitely appreciate the advice.

Hey Lateralus:

Post some pictures, maybe you'll spur some interest right here. It sounds incredible.

Jay Trotter
11-04-2009, 10:34 PM
To win? I said place it on Gio Ponti to place!

http://www.smokingtree.net/images/badguy6.jpg

fmhealth
11-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Jay, you're a funny man with a sharp memory!

tzipi
11-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Again all on Gio Ponti to win! Some doubles too. :)

PaceAdvantage
11-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Get yourself a good coach. Just like Happy Gilmore did.I had the same exact Happy Gilmore moment that you did reading this thread!

Donnie
11-05-2009, 03:03 AM
Dave-
Here is a shortcut to the Public newsletter discussing the Volitility Index (starting on Page 6).

http://www.homebased2.com/km/pdf/HTRMonthlyReport-JAN2004.pdf

It is very good reading! Ken has since added another new feature that unless you are subscriber you will not find anything on the website about it. A "scoring" of the favorites in each race, giving a score of A thru F (just like in school). He rates the top 2 favorites and by looking at the their scores it is extremely easy to spot races where a vulnerable favorite and co-favorite lurks. He has also put all the scores on one screen so you can quickly eyeball an entire card simply by glancing at this screen. A great way to filter to the races that may end up being very lucrative.

I just downloaded both cards to eyeball these scores and VI numbers....I won't post these screens in public, but I will say there are a few VI / Favs Scores that point to some very vulnerable favorites on both days.

All the best!

WinterTriangle
11-05-2009, 03:07 AM
Hey Lat,

I just sent out a birthday card with a "the kitten who dared", sitting in what appears to be a very large dog's bowl. LOL

I applaud your Ebay sales. I see so much $$ sittting in people's garages, rotting away. Wasteful. If they don't need it, fine, but it sure could be helpful at an orphanage for clothing and medical care, or the charity of their choice.

Wagering $2,500 on 2 days of BC racing is not out of the ordinary for a lot of people. It's your money, do what you want with it. I won $6,000 in the CT lottery when I lived there, having never bought more than $100 of tickets in my whole life. I blew it on a vacation and took some friends along. Totally worth the R&R.

Donnie
11-05-2009, 04:20 AM
Attached a Word doc that shows the screen shot from last year's Breeder's Cup races of the Chalk Evaluator Screen in HTR. Look down the VI column and the mlFAV1and mlFAV2 columns. You may note the lowest VI (21) last year had the top 2 favs as both F horses....winner paid $75.

Donnie
11-05-2009, 04:30 AM
And just for fun, from 2007..... again, the lowest VI with 2 F horses resulted in the highest win payout.
(attached)

The Hawk
11-05-2009, 09:12 AM
I guess we're not getting a picture. Almost makes me think there's an outside chance that somehow, this isn't legit.

toetoe
11-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Honestly, I think to save my mom's home I'm going to need to come out ahead in EXCESS of $50,000.... no easy task.

I smell a movie in this whole deal.

Let's see ... Nicholas Campbell will be our protagonist. Hmm, we may have to change Grandma's house to a farm. We'll have a tough kid, maybe Campbell's character's son, from a broken home ... or, wait ... Dad and son lost Mom to cancer some years back. We'll definitely need a dog or some such pet, but not one that talks. No, America's ready for nonverbal dogs, I should think. Okay now, we'll have a female groom with the hots for Nick, and of course she'll moonlight as a stripper (heart of gold de rigueur). Regarding the groom role, I'm thinking Venus Terzo ... Sarah Shahi ... WHO wants it more ?

Of course, a Snidely Whiplash type will serve as the collector representing the mortgage company. For a change, let's NOT preach of the evils of horseracing; we'll just roll out a happily ending story. And I guess winning $50,000 should be no great problem.

bigmack,

Your thoughts, Sir ? Maybe Monsieur Jeunnet of City of Lost Children fame as our auteur ? Can we make this thing fly ?

toetoe
11-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Jay, you're a funny man with a sharp memory!

Funny how ? Are ya sayin' I amewzhew ?

fmhealth
11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Toe, Joe Pesci would be proud of you!

Steve 'StatMan'
11-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm in agreement with the posters about being cautious with this money given your moms situation. Might come in handy for necessities if the tough times continue and you mom needs help. Can't sell those items twice if you end up needing the money again. If your lives are connected financially, I wouldn't sugget risking any more than you usually do on a Breeders' Cup day. If neither of you absolutely need the $1,500, knock yourselves out. Am in a similar situation in my personal life due to non-racing related issues. Conserve what you and her have now, and do what is most logical regarding the financial laws, bankruptcy law, mortgage renegotiations/refinancing, etc. and prepare for getting through the tough short term and look for ways for a new/fresh start. Material possessions are what we make of them, but when trouble comes don't let them be too big a burden and make it harder to preseve self. Know it's your mom and not yourself right now, and far easier said than done. I haven't been making more than a couple token bets per month through this, and BC day may get a couple more token bets. Next year will hopefully be different and better for me, hopefully your mom and yourself as well.

dansan
11-05-2009, 08:30 PM
stay away from breeders cup and play churchhill and fairgrounds :jump:

overthehill
11-06-2009, 02:56 AM
I dont know why but this reminds me of a time when i was trying to make a living at the track and on a long losing streak that got me to the point of seeking full time employment again. I was offered a job and I had a few hundred left. I really liked a horse running that day and decided to put most of my money on the horse a long shot. if it won i was going to pass on the job. it lost, and i barely had enough money to survive till my first paycheck. the very next saturday I went to the track with $10 and hit a cold $514 double for $2, a week earlier I probably would have at least $20 on it! Moral of the story tapping out is never a good thing. OTOH after that I was gainfully employed for about 20 years, and managed to accumulate a house, a family, a small pension and a hefty retirement account.

castaway01
11-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm in agreement with the posters about being cautious with this money given your moms situation. Might come in handy for necessities if the tough times continue and you mom needs help. Can't sell those items twice if you end up needing the money again. If your lives are connected financially, I wouldn't sugget risking any more than you usually do on a Breeders' Cup day. If neither of you absolutely need the $1,500, knock yourselves out. Am in a similar situation in my personal life due to non-racing related issues. Conserve what you and her have now, and do what is most logical regarding the financial laws, bankruptcy law, mortgage renegotiations/refinancing, etc. and prepare for getting through the tough short term and look for ways for a new/fresh start. Material possessions are what we make of them, but when trouble comes don't let them be too big a burden and make it harder to preseve self. Know it's your mom and not yourself right now, and far easier said than done. I haven't been making more than a couple token bets per month through this, and BC day may get a couple more token bets. Next year will hopefully be different and better for me, hopefully your mom and yourself as well.

Steve, you seem like a good guy from your posts and what I read about you in Ted's book. I hope everything works out for you too.

dansan
11-06-2009, 09:33 PM
you should play fairgounds like i said lat firt race today tri paid 14k super pd 117k mom would be proud :)

banacek
11-06-2009, 09:42 PM
This thread makes me think about Mona Best (mother of Pete Best - the drummer The Beatles fired for Ringo):

"After moving to Liverpool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool) from India, the Best family claim that Mona pawned all of her jewellery in 1954, and used the money to place a 33–1 bet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling) on a horse named "Never Say Die", and used her winnings to buy a house in 1957. Mona later opened The Casbah Coffee Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Casbah_Coffee_Club) in the cellar of the house as a venue for Rock 'n' Roll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll) music. It was planned as a members-only club for her sons and their friends. The club was often referred to as The Casbah Club, or The Casbah."

Jay Trotter
11-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Did we make any plays Friday? I'm anxious to know if Mom get's to keep the house?

FastAndFurious
11-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Best of luck.

I can not help but think of one of Mark Cramer's book when I read the post.
Which one...PLease hold all tickets...or money scared

FastAndFurious
11-07-2009, 06:59 AM
:lol: take 200 of your bank roll buy a small pea shooter and rob a store you will have better luck then this "Plan" you have

WeirdWilly
11-07-2009, 07:35 AM

So this guy is an overlay? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gi%C3%B2_Ponti

---------------------------------

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/61/Gio1.png/250px-Gio1.png

Gio Ponti (18 November 1891, Milan (http:///wiki/Milan) - 16 September, 1979, Milan) was one of the most important Italian (http:///wiki/Italian_people) architects (http:///wiki/Architects), industrial designers, furniture designers, artists, and publishers of the twentieth century.

Nearly 118 years old, dead for thirty years, and STILL a contender in the Breeders Cup!

The true definition of a modern renaissance man!

illinoisbred
11-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Gio Ponti (18 November 1891, Milan (http:///wiki/Milan) - 16 September, 1979, Milan) was one of the most important Italian (http:///wiki/Italian_people) architects (http:///wiki/Architects), industrial designers, furniture designers, artists, and publishers of the twentieth century.

Nearly 118 years old, dead for thirty years, and STILL a contender in the Breeders Cup!

I've got him a little faster than Frank Lloyd Wright.

Robert Fischer
11-07-2009, 10:51 AM
donate the money to me, and i will pray for you.

toetoe
11-07-2009, 11:08 AM

An architect named Bridges, huh ? Haddaya like dat !

rokitman
11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
donate the money to me, and i will pray for you.
Heheheh...

dav4463
11-07-2009, 03:34 PM

$455.80 exacta in the Sprint using e-ponies free selections. :ThmbUp:

WeirdWilly
11-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Isn't it a great testament to modern medical science that extreme age and death does not stop one from running an amazing performance in one of the most prestigious races on the calendar?

Congrats Gio Ponti!

(Oh, Gio Ponti is also the name of a 4 y/o colt? Nevermind!)

BirdstoneFTW
11-09-2009, 11:09 PM
To the original poster:

How did the BC work out for you?

WinterTriangle
11-10-2009, 12:51 AM
To the original poster:

How did the BC work out for you?

I was wondering, too.

All I can say is, if there was ever a time to cash in big, this weekend was certainly one of those "opportunities" !!!!!!