PDA

View Full Version : Seeking help about hotels/transportation to Hawthorne

Milkshaker
11-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi there:

I'm a longtime lurker/new poster seeking to tap into the group's wisdom about Hawthorne Race Course.

I'll be flying in from out of town to attend the Hawthorne handicapping contest on Dec.5 & 6 and am not at all familiar with the area. I believe I'll be flying into Midway, and I know just enough about the area to know that Stickney is an industrial area that is not the most appealing place to stay or dine.

Ideally, I would like to make this a weekend trip that does not require renting a car, but I can't find any info about public transportation (or taxis, whatever) on the Hawthorne website.

Additionally, I need some help with a hotel recommendation, or at least a good general area to stay on the outskirts of Chicago. The missus will be joining me, and it is my hope to stay somewhere where the wife can hop in a cab or use public transportation to explore the city while I fritter away my money at the track.

And one final request if anyone has the inside scoop--How much time should I budget for getting from Hawthorne to Midway on a Sunday night after the races to catch our flight home?

Thanks very much for your time and consideration!

boomman
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi there:

I'm a longtime lurker/new poster seeking to tap into the group's wisdom about Hawthorne Race Course.

I'll be flying in from out of town to attend the Hawthorne handicapping contest on Dec.5 & 6 and am not at all familiar with the area. I believe I'll be flying into Midway, and I know just enough about the area to know that Stickney is an industrial area that is not the most appealing place to stay or dine.

Ideally, I would like to make this a weekend trip that does not require renting a car, but I can't find any info about public transportation (or taxis, whatever) on the Hawthorne website.

Additionally, I need some help with a hotel recommendation, or at least a good general area to stay on the outskirts of Chicago. The missus will be joining me, and it is my hope to stay somewhere where the wife can hop in a cab or use public transportation to explore the city while I fritter away my money at the track.

And one final request if anyone has the inside scoop--How much time should I budget for getting from Hawthorne to Midway on a Sunday night after the races to catch our flight home?

Thanks very much for your time and consideration!

Having hosted several book signings at Hawthorne and flying in there from my home in Florida, I can tell you for sure that flying in to Midway is a MUST! Midway is very close to Hawthorne (I'm thinking about 20 minutes) and as far as hotels, you are right that there is nothing really close to Hawthorne. I would recommend you get in touch with them and see who they recommend as I stayed in a nice Marriott about 30 minutes from there and I believe the town was something like Oakbrook..........Jim Miller and his staff are great and the consumate professionals, get in touch with one of them and they'll be sure to assist...........

Best of luck in the tourney,

Boomer

tholl
11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
There's a decent Holiday Inn about 15 mins away -- in other direction from the city, can't remember the road # though. I rented a car both times I went, did'nt see much alternative.

Zman179
11-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Directions to Hawthorne:

From the Loop (Downtown): Pink Line to Cicero station, change to southbound 54B or X54 bus to Hawthorne Race Course. The same two bus lines also serve Midway Airport.

You can easily commute between your downtown hotel and Hawthorne this way, no need to stay close to Stickney.

Fare is $2.25, transfer is an additional 25¢, but transfers are not available with cash fares, only with farecards that you can buy at the train stations. One-day unlimited ride pass is $5.75, but will not be valid on Pace buses if you want to make a side trip to Maywood Park.

Chicago Transit Authority: www.transitchicago.com

1st time lasix
11-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Bring a gun.....

cj's dad
11-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Bring a gun.....

He said Hawthorne not Pimlico :lol:

TommyCh
11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
If your wife wants to explore the city, I'd see if you can finagle a low hotel rate somewhere in the Loop. The W Hotel, Palmer House, Hilton and Towers or even the Hyatt at McCormick Place. I don't believe they get a lot of weekend business and you might be able to get a deal.

Cabbing it to Hawthorne from there is literally less than 20 minutes on the Stevenson Expressway (Stevenson to Cicero Ave., north on Cicero to Hawthorne). The Pink Line is OK, a little dicey. You could also take the Orange Line to the Midway Airport El/Bus terminus and I would take a cab from there. Only a couple of miles.

But boomman is right, Hawthorne will help you out.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Midway Airport is about 3 miles south of Hawthorne. Midway Airport and the immediate area surrounding have undergone a great upgrading in businesses and hotels - though again, it is near the airport. Many respected major hotel/motel chains are near the airport, and there are rental cars available at the airport as well.

There is bus service on Cicero Avenue that stops at both Midway and at Hawthorne, prices same as the poster above quoted - incredibly reasonable. You will want to take the transit, as some yet to evolve and/or abandoned projects do still remain between Midway and Hawthorne.

In addition to that Pink Line CTA (Chi. Transit Authority) train which is about 1 mile north of hawthorne, so further away from Midway, the CTA also has the Orange Line trains, that run from Midway Airport all the way to The Loop in Downtow Chicago. Easy transfer from down there to nearly all the other CTA lines. So you will access to reliable public transportation if you wish to use it. And again, plenty of car rentals at/near the airport as well.

Time-wise for the bus from Haw to Midway on Sunday night, I haven't checked the schedule, but allow for 15min-20min in travel (might only take 10, but be safe.) The wait time for the bus might to pick you up might be another 15-20 minutes.

I'd love to be in the tournament, but unless long awaited changes happen for me in my personal life, I'll have to pass it again this year - I used to be a Hawthorne Weekend/Tournament regular. Have a great time & best of luck!

Steve 'StatMan'
11-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh, you mentioned the missues. At this time, I would NOT recommend shopping trips to the immedate region, except for maybe the largest strip malls with name stores - but you can probably shop at Target or Walmart just about anywhere. If renting a car, a 20 min drive to Oak Brook Shopping Center (old but very nice outdoor mall) or Woodfield Mall (45min to 1 hr drive) in Schuamburg would be better, but would require a car or a very expensive cab ride. Woodfield, now you're close to AP (dark except for Trackside OTB, 30 miles from AP)

Shopping on State Street and Michigan Avenue & The Magnificent Mile in Chicago might have the greatest appeal, and public transit would be great for that.

Milkshaker
11-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks very much to everyone who took the time to reply.

Lots of helpful info here--I really appreciate it.

FlyinLate
11-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Hawthorne's surrounding regions aren't exactly top of the line.
Midway is LITERALLY a 7 minute drive to Hawthorne.

My personal recommendation would be to go a bit west of Hawthorne and use cabs. I worked for a Congressman in the district so I'm very familiar with the area. There are a couple of nice suburbs that are about a 10-15 minute cab ride away from Hawthorne like La Grange, Western Springs, Hodgkins. Both offer some good restaurants and nice hotels.

If your willing to go farther, you can stay downtown, which will be an excellent time but you're going to have to worry about traffic constantly (theres traffic downtown at 4am lol).

I'd personally avoid the public transportation, especially with the wife. Too much riff raff for me.

If you have any more questions feel free to let me know.
Good luck, if I didn't have my law finals that weekend I'd be there to challenge you :(