PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup Week at Santa Anita

miesque
10-31-2009, 06:47 AM
If any HANA Members who are atttending Breeders Cup would like to touch base and meet with a few other Members and Board Members, please shoot me a PM. I will be at Clockers Corner each morning from 5:30 - 10:00 AM starting tomorrow.

Good luck and safe travels to all heading to BC, especially those traveling via plane. I am sitting waiting for the first flight of my trip to board to Philly and Useless Air willing I should be in Los Angeles shortly after noon today.

DanG
11-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Lucky you Theresia…enjoy.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2008/10/24/breeders460.jpg

DeanT
11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for that Dan. It brings me back the simplicity of the game.

I am sitting here with football in one corner of the screen on the laptop with the slingbox, the betting accounts open on the same computer, Twin spires on the desktop, and two live racing feeds on two televisions.

I am all for progress and all for using some of the things technology affords us so that we can play and follow the sport, however if anyone who plays at home does not at times long for the game like that picture shows - the morning with no betting, nice weather and the unique rituals of racetracks - I have trouble believing they are a fan.

Anyway, melancholy-me over and out, the next race I am watching is about to go off. Time to click a mouse; but I am not overly happy about doing it that way when I see the picture you posted :)

CBedo
11-01-2009, 03:56 PM

I am sitting here with football in one corner of the screen on the laptop with the slingbox, the betting accounts open on the same computer, Twin spires on the desktop, and two live racing feeds on two televisions.

I am all for progress and all for using some of the things technology affords us so that we can play and follow the sport, however if anyone who plays at home does not at times long for the game like that picture shows - the morning with no betting, nice weather and the unique rituals of racetracks - I have trouble believing they are a fan.

Anyway, melancholy-me over and out, the next race I am watching is about to go off. Time to click a mouse; but I am not overly happy about doing it that way when I see the picture you posted :):ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp: Well said.

BillW
11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
The next 4 figure super and the malaise will go bye-bye :lol:

Anyway, melancholy-me over and out, the next race I am watching is about to go off. Time to click a mouse; but I am not overly happy about doing it that way when I see the picture you posted :)

Mike_412
11-01-2009, 06:19 PM

I want to hang out at your house next weekend. :ThmbUp:

W2G
11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I will be at Clockers Corner each morning from 5:30 - 10:00 AM starting tomorrow.

Now that's the way to do the BC. I'm jealous.

I get into LA in the wee hours Fri AM and leave on a Sat night red-eye. Crazy short trip but it'll be worth it.

miesque
11-02-2009, 04:02 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2008/10/24/breeders460.jpg

Thanks, I have been up and at the track early enough the past two mornings to sit at Clockers Corner and watch the sun come up at Santa Anita over the backdrop of the San Gabriel mountains and in my opinion its one of those things that everyone should experience at least once (also why I expanded my trip this year from 7 to 9 days). There is an esoteric edge that Santa Anita has over other BC venues which is at its height in the early morning hours. I know Santa Anita has been the cause of much moaning and gnashing of teeth, but I have been to every BC since 1997 and there is no other BC venue that feels more like a real vacation and is as relaxing and enjoyable a setting. I realize this is something that not everyone has the same level of appreciation for and that if you are always sitting at home watching Breeders Cup then you most likely have a completely different perspective than those who travel to BC on a regular basis and go through the hassle of getting tickets, booking hotels, dealing with air travel, interstate traffic, etc.

DJofSD
11-02-2009, 04:15 PM

The photo envokes memories of pleasant rituals for both the races and of riding.

No longer keeping any horses, I miss the early moring rides especially during those cool fall and winter mornings. Especially the New Years morning rides when you could guarantee no one else was going to be on the trail. Ride short, a couple of click-clicks of the tongue and let 'em have their heads. That's the way to start a new year.