PDA

View Full Version : How to get to Golden Gate Fields?

gm10
10-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Hello,

I'm currently staying in San Francisco and was hoping to visit Golden Gate Fields tomorrow. It looks like the Bay Bridge is closed, is there any other way I can get to GG?

Thx

chickenhead
10-30-2009, 07:41 PM
pop up North to San Rafael, and go over the Richmond Bridge. GG will be on your right, can't miss it.

cj
10-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Look for three horses standing around, that is probably a race about to start.

toetoe
10-30-2009, 07:54 PM

:lol: .

Two constitute illegal loitering; three are a fullish field.

Ah, Albany --- where the humps meet the dumps. :jump: .

Light, please show the gentleman where to park, hmm ?

Indulto
10-30-2009, 08:05 PM
:lol: .

Two constitute illegal loitering; three are a fullish field.

Ah, Albany --- where the humps meet the dumps. :jump: .

Light, please show the gentleman where to park, hmm ?If there's still a doughnut shop on the northeast corner of Solano and San Pablo Avenues, bring some with you.

bigmack
10-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Ah 1 - ah 2 - ah 1 -2 -3 - 4...

MfFuikC1BGQ

Golden Gate Fields

This is not Churchhill downs this is not Hollywood Park
When the field is wide open
I'll pick the horse that's got the biggest heart
Let em run let em ride let em roll down the track
Let em win place and show
Let em one dollar exact
Six furlongs four phillys
Three mares three years and up
Who measures up
Well I wish you luck
Who measures up
Well I wish you luck
Well they rush the windows and play odds on fave
(But the)My starter in 2nd deuces down a bit of give and take
Race is a puzzler when they open from the outside
It's a hit and run and they look back
You can't count on that
That's a fact
The old men from El Cerrito
Who talk about their picks
And they talk about all the wins of the great jock Leffit Pincay
Every time i come back to the east bay i run into "big L"
My old friend Big L he's not doing so well
Me and Big L grew up across the freeway from the track
WE spent may days at the track
I see Big L come rollin up the street
On his little sister's pink ten speed
He said "Tim, Tim don't you remember me?"
"way back from 1973?"
Every time i se him he has to remind me
Like i would ever forget Big L
Then he's gone
Like a flash
Then he's gone
Like a flash
yeah like a flash
Ok this is rancid signing off for now
until next time we'll see you guys later...

Indulto
10-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Golden Gate Fields

... Ok this is rancid signing off for now
until next time we'll see you guys later...BgM,
A far cry from the nearby Berzerkley Amphitheater where I once saw a Linda Ronstadt concert outdoors in the sunshine. When she started singing "You're No Good," a semi-circle of co-eds removed their tops and danced to the song. Thought I recognized one years later at a Hooters restaurant in L.A. She said it must have been her twin sister. :lol:

Moving downtown for a subsequent Leonard Cohen concert indoors, had to eventually walk out when he had no luck auctioning off his hotel room key. Apparently there were no "Suzannes" in that crowd. ;)

bigmack
10-30-2009, 10:13 PM
BgM,
A far cry from the nearby Berzerkley Amphitheater where I once saw a Linda Ronstadt concert outdoors in the sunshine. When she started singing "You're No Good," a semi-circle of co-eds removed their tops and danced to the song. Thought I recognized one years later at a Hooters restaurant in L.A. She said it must have been her twin sister. :lol:

Moving downtown for a subsequent Leonard Cohen concert indoors, had to eventually walk out when he had no luck auctioning off his hotel room key. Apparently there were no "Suzannes" in that crowd. ;)
http://c.ilike.com/w/0314/147/0314147054_l.jpg

I can imagine the sights, sounds & smells that have come out of that 'joint'.

'U'r No Good' is a peculiar tune to decide to doff a top. I would have thought 'When Will I Be Loved' would be a opportune tune :rolleyes: & a tip-top time for you to interject "How 'Bout Now?"

A paradox, Lenny Cohen was a real hound back in the day and schtupped more freight than Robert Palmer. Then he retreated to Mount Baldy and gave a cloistered life a go for about 8 years. Odd duck. Good songwriter.

We've got to stop meeting like this given this cat was simply looking for directions. He must be reading saying, "Who are these loons?"

gm10
10-30-2009, 11:55 PM
BgM,

:lol:

gm10
10-31-2009, 12:00 AM
thx for the suggestions
i think I will take the BART train to North Berkeley or something and walk the rest from there

That Sourdough Sam in the 7th looks good btw.

jballscalls
10-31-2009, 09:59 AM

you must not have been watching lately. they have been having very solid field sizes recently. today they have the first race with 7, two 8 horse fields, and the other 5 are all 9 or higher.

cj
10-31-2009, 02:06 PM
you must not have been watching lately. they have been having very solid field sizes recently. today they have the first race with 7, two 8 horse fields, and the other 5 are all 9 or higher.

They are up a little now because they took 2 and a half weeks off. There is nothing wrong with that and it is a step in the right direction.

But by lately, did you mean yesterday? Fields of 6, 6, 7, 7, 10, 8, 6, and 6. The 10 horse field was a turf maiden event. This is after the aforementioned 17 day break.

freehouse2002
10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Lately, their weekend cards have been good. It seems that they stack their Sat and Sun programs with higher fields than during the week.

freehouse2002

gm10
10-31-2009, 09:17 PM
That track is an amazing waste of exceptionally located land. There was hardly anyone there and I can't blame them. No real parade ring, facilities that must have been nice in the 80's but should have been replaced, beer at 5 dollars a bottle, almost no families on a day out, not one element of charm in general. They are just squeezing the last drop out of the lemon, I guess.

I was in Deauville/Clairefontaine in France this summer, and the difference couldn't have been greater. Those two tracks, were cheap, charming, tastefully decorated, and the overall experience made you want to go back there.

Has to be said, the GG surface is fair and consistent. A horse doesn't necessarily get burnt on the lead, but a strong closer has a chance as well.

Also has to be said that not all European tracks are like the French ones I mentioned. I've visited more than one depressing race course in England. But Golden Gate Fields is a wasted opportunity in a big way.

toetoe
10-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Indulto,

What is the "new" name for Provo Park ?

mack,

Was that you displaying much boister at the Ivy Room ?

P.S. There was a doughnut shop --- an offshoot of Dream Fluff, the iconic doughnuterie at College and Ashby in Berkeley, which later became a frou frou breakfast joint --- just two doors north of the NE corner of S. and S.P. There was also a Winchell's a half block south, toward Marin, on the west side. :confused:

toetoe
10-31-2009, 09:23 PM
College and Ashby is darn close to Oakland. I wonder, way back when, who wanted it more.

Indulto
11-01-2009, 01:03 AM
... Golden Gate Fields is a wasted opportunity in a big way.gm,
My sentiments exactly. I left for SoCal over 30 years ago and haven't looked back.

tt,
The location I rembered was actually the liquor store where I would get the Form. The exceptional doughnut shop was somewhere in the proximity. Better ask Light about the park name.

gm10
11-01-2009, 01:20 AM
gm,
My sentiments exactly. I left for SoCal over 30 years ago and haven't looked back.

tt,
The location I rembered was actually the liquor store where I would get the Form. The exceptional doughnut shop was somewhere in the proximity. Better ask Light about the park name.

It's a shame. don't get me wrong, it's not that bad, I would still go there if I lived in San Fran, but I'm not the new fan that racing needs. There must be something that can be done, the setting is more than a little attractive.

Didn't see any doughnut shops ... might have cushioned it a bit !

Indulto
11-01-2009, 04:04 AM
It's a shame. don't get me wrong, it's not that bad, I would still go there if I lived in San Fran, but I'm not the new fan that racing needs. There must be something that can be done, the setting is more than a little attractive.

Didn't see any doughnut shops ... might have cushioned it a bit !I guess you didn't walk from the BART station after all. :cool:

When you're betting from home, every race looks like it could be run at Saratoga, Santa Anita, or Arlington, but the reality of attending tracks at the lower tiers can be disappointing for those weaned on the top venues.

When my work took me to the SF Bay area, I knew after my first trip to Bay Meadows what my first Christmas present to myself would be. ;)

The Hawk
11-01-2009, 08:48 AM
That track is an amazing waste of exceptionally located land. There was hardly anyone there and I can't blame them. No real parade ring, facilities that must have been nice in the 80's but should have been replaced, beer at 5 dollars a bottle, almost no families on a day out, not one element of charm in general. They are just squeezing the last drop out of the lemon, I guess.

Unfortunately for the game, you could have bee talking about 75% of the tracks in the US with this statement, which is a big reason for the problems we face.

Light
11-01-2009, 01:20 PM
gm10

Whatever doughnut shop you are talking about is long gone. The few remaining I've tried are crappy. There is one in El Cerritto,that I would call average but nothing special.

GGF is a ghost town most days and I can count the number of times I go there a year on one hand. But people I know who still go there tell me its packed on Sundays when they have the $1 entrance,parking,beer and hotdogs.

I went to Belmont for about 4 races this last summer and I was shocked that their facility looked worse than GG's. It looked like I was in a run down subway station. But I was totally impressed when I went out to the saddling area. Park benches,manicured lawns,families picknicking with huge TV screens to watch the races and places to bet. The contrast was unbelievable. Its like I was in 2 different tracks.

Indulto
11-01-2009, 03:17 PM
gm10

Whatever doughnut shop you are talking about is long gone. The few remaining I've tried are crappy. There is one in El Cerritto,that I would call average but nothing special.

GGF is a ghost town most days and I can count the number of times I go there a year on one hand. But people I know who still go there tell me its packed on Sundays when they have the $1 entrance,parking,beer and hotdogs.

I went to Belmont for about 4 races this last summer and I was shocked that their facility looked worse than GG's. It looked like I was in a run down subway station. But I was totally impressed when I went out to the saddling area. Park benches,manicured lawns,families picknicking with huge TV screens to watch the races and places to bet. The contrast was unbelievable. Its like I was in 2 different tracks.My lone remaining local spy has informed me that the doughnut shop is indeed gone. Apparently when I left, business dropped dramatically.;)

macdiarmida
11-02-2009, 01:01 AM
That was Happy Donuts y'all, right off the first corner mentioned. RIP.

Sorry I missed the 10-30 post. To others that may follow, you go to the NORTH Berkeley BART station and the track has a shuttle bus that stops there (once again). Schedule on GGF's website. The impatient or late arrivals can take a cab. They used to go $10 flat or the same total for 4-5 riders; might be more now. It's a long walk otherwise.

macdiarmida
11-02-2009, 01:23 AM
gm10 wrote:
That track is an amazing waste of exceptionally located land.You can have the land. A great view from there IF fog is not covering the bay, about 2/3 of the year. The winds and rain coming through the Golden Gate point right at GGF. If you have a house on the hills behind GGF, you can count on replacing woodwork or siding on a regular basis.

What saves GGF as a racetrack is that the property probably can't be developed for condos and shopping. The large south parking lot (mostly gravel) is unusable even for more badly needed stable space (believe it or nuts); more stables would require expanded wastewater treatment, for one. Any developer would worry about either being required to pay for rebuilding the freeway ramps at Gilman or risk having the property taken for that purpose. So perhaps a waste in some regards, but all the property is really good for is a big park.

gm10
11-02-2009, 11:03 AM
You can have the land. A great view from there IF fog is not covering the bay, about 2/3 of the year. The winds and rain coming through the Golden Gate point right at GGF. If you have a house on the hills behind GGF, you can count on replacing woodwork or siding on a regular basis.

What saves GGF as a racetrack is that the property probably can't be developed for condos and shopping. The large south parking lot (mostly gravel) is unusable even for more badly needed stable space (believe it or nuts); more stables would require expanded wastewater treatment, for one. Any developer would worry about either being required to pay for rebuilding the freeway ramps at Gilman or risk having the property taken for that purpose. So perhaps a waste in some regards, but all the property is really good for is a big park.

They should let Disney do their thing for 3 months. Could turn into something really special.