PDA

View Full Version : Win and You're In Joke?

Java Gold@TFT
10-30-2009, 10:40 AM
So, the BC decided to continue to run the win and your in races - so let's look at the success rate

63 races in the schedule.

Pre-entries for the BC based on WAYI races:

8 Horses are enterred thanks to WATI - about 12%

Horses who won WIYI races who were enterred but not in the races they had the free pass - 8 - another 12%. This includes horses like Gio Ponti who won a WIYI turf race but is scheduled for the Classic.

So that means that the wonderful WIYI program has produced basically nothing. Ventura wins a WIYI race in the Woodine Mile with no intention of targeting the BC Mile. Somebody at BC's front office needs to make up for this joke of a system.

Stand up - Be a man/woman and admit that this sytem is a lauging stock. Stop throwing more money at a failure.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-30-2009, 10:51 AM
I read the title and was expecting a Win and You're In Joke.

So I came up with one really quick, rather obvious:

What do they call the Post Race Sample?

"Winnin' Urine"

egreen
10-30-2009, 11:15 AM
This program has been a remarkable waste of time and money. I'd like to know the total costs associated with it. Surely the cash-strapped BC can find a better use for these funds.

hazzardm
10-30-2009, 01:23 PM

"Winnin' Urine"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
10-30-2009, 01:49 PM
"Winnin' Urine"

Whoa boy!

DJofSD
10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
As far as I am concerned, this is just affirmative action for the horse and possibly the trainer.

Let's just ruin everything the same way -- KY Derby 2010, win in you're in.

I'm sure whomever introduced this idea at BC, Ltd. got something for his efforts.

Horseplayersbet.com
10-30-2009, 01:55 PM
It is a silly concept because horses tend to be cyclical, they peak at different times of the year. If they held the Breeders Cup two months earlier or later, they would end up with 12-14 different winners, and around 20-30% of those in next week's field would not be in the BC fields either two months earlier or later.

Java Gold@TFT
10-30-2009, 01:56 PM

"Winnin' Urine"
Damn, I'm trying to make a statement out of a ludicrous system and you turn it into a social commentary. Your're killing me. :lol: :lol:

garyscpa
10-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Damn, I'm trying to make a statement out of a ludicrous system and you turn it into a social commentary. Your're killing me. :lol: :lol:

He's a real whiz. :D

senortout
10-31-2009, 10:49 AM
A simple question for our readership...

1. Was Ventura already BC eligible?
2. Was there anyone else in the Woodbine WAYI race who was NOT?
3. If one of the other horses had won, perhaps that would have made them eligible to a race that THEY DID WANT TO BE IN?

I'm just asking here....could that be the real logic behind WAYI? AS, if I understand correctly, Ventura would not have had to win this race to be eligible, am I right here?

senortout

garyscpa
10-31-2009, 10:59 AM

3. If one of the other horses had won, perhaps that would have made them eligible to a race that THEY DID WANT TO BE IN?

I'm just asking here....could that be the real logic behind WAYI? AS, if I understand correctly, Ventura would not have had to win this race to be eligible, am I right here?

senortout

Si, senor.

bisket
10-31-2009, 11:46 AM
these races are the primary reason many small breeding operations aren't ponying up the fee to make there foals eligible for breeders cup. not because if they win these races they can get in, but because the cup did away with the money that boosted purses for stakes races at all the tracks across the nation. for instance a stakes race at laurel for a purse of 100k would be increased to 150k if you were breeders cup eligible. if you weren't breeders cup eligible you got the 100k if you won. then horses could accrue winnings in races that helped them to qualify for the cup. just like the derby graded stakes earnings system. they did away with this and did the win and your in joke. so now md breeders have no incentive to pay the money to make their horse eligible because basically only the california and new york tracks gained from the win and your in system. so breeders across the country have basically said screw the breeders cup!! the cup took the money used for these stakes races at tracks across the country and boosted the purses of the cup races. between that and the fact the cup association had to give santa anita millions last year because the cup garaunteed a certain amount of handle and attendance that wasn't met. this is why the purses for the cup are decreased now because no one wants to pay money to keep santa anita afloat!! the breeders cup will hopefully fade into oblivion as far as i'm concerned!

fmolf
10-31-2009, 12:25 PM
these races are the primary reason many small breeding operations aren't ponying up the fee to make there foals eligible for breeders cup. not because if they win these races they can get in, but because the cup did away with the money that boosted purses for stakes races at all the tracks across the nation. for instance a stakes race at laurel for a purse of 100k would be increased to 150k if you were breeders cup eligible. if you weren't breeders cup eligible you got the 100k if you won. then horses could accrue winnings in races that helped them to qualify for the cup. just like the derby graded stakes earnings system. they did away with this and did the win and your in joke. so now md breeders have no incentive to pay the money to make their horse eligible because basically only the california and new york tracks gained from the win and your in system. so breeders across the country have basically said screw the breeders cup!! the cup took the money used for these stakes races at tracks across the country and boosted the purses of the cup races. between that and the fact the cup association had to give santa anita millions last year because the cup garaunteed a certain amount of handle and attendance that wasn't met. this is why the purses for the cup are decreased now because no one wants to pay money to keep santa anita afloat!! the breeders cup will hopefully fade into oblivion as far as i'm concerned!
Across the entire landscape of american business greed has caused more bankruptcies than any thing else!They have taken a good thing that was working perfectly and changed it because they got greedy!They figured they would get more monies in nomination fees and it did not happen.They thought they would generate more interest in order to have two days of bc races it did not happen ...handle and attendance are both down ..serves the breeders cup right for fiddling with something that didn't need fiddling with!the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" immediately comes to mind.

joanied
10-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Across the entire landscape of american business greed has caused more bankruptcies than any thing else!They have taken a good thing that was working perfectly and changed it because they got greedy!They figured they would get more monies in nomination fees and it did not happen.They thought they would generate more interest in order to have two days of bc races it did not happen ...handle and attendance are both down ..serves the breeders cup right for fiddling with something that didn't need fiddling with!the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" immediately comes to mind.

:ThmbUp: I agree with this and the other posts...JavaGold, your stats lay it on the line...WAYI IS a joke...and I ahve stated my opinion on it several times here...it's ridiculous for so many obvious reasons.
Best thing BC can do, is toss this 'series' of races into the crapper:faint: ...
a simple point system would be a better way to go.

098poi
10-31-2009, 12:44 PM

"Winnin' Urine"

If the post race sample comes up negative (no drugs) they sing,

"Urine the money" :jump:

Java Gold@TFT
10-31-2009, 06:07 PM

senortout
Every horse in the world is eligible to run in a BC race of their choice. The catch is in nominating your foal or stallion to the program through a pre-paid fee. If you want to enter your horse you still have to pay the entry fees. If your horse is not nominated then you have to pay a supplemental entry fee which is a big penalty. Wild Again won the first BC Classic as a supplemental. His owners had to fork over a good chunk of money to get in the gate. The gamble paid off for them.

As far as Ventura is concerned I believe she is BC nominated from birth so she was already eligible without a supplemental fee. When I used her as an example it was just that she won a WAYI race for the BC Mile while they had no intention of running in that race anyway. She was always pointed toward the FM Sprint which she won last year.

When they fill the fields for BC day they go in a certain order of priority and WAYI comes first. It's as assinine as designating a race in England as a garaunteed spot in the KY Derby. Put the money back into the BC supplemental stakes program instead of the WAYI races.