PDA

View Full Version : Mullins Out on NY?

Java Gold@TFT
10-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Please read the whole article as I will only post an excerpt:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/s...l?_r=2&emc=eta1

The New York Racing Association will announce Friday that the trainer Jeff Mullins will be barred from its racetracks for six months for giving one of his horses an unknown substance in the Aqueduct monitoring barn in April and repeatedly lying about it. The association has also made it clear that, in contrast to past practices among trainers, Mullins cannot transfer his horses to an employee, relative or business associate to get around the suspension in order to run in New York.

The punishment will extend only so far, however. Mullins, one of the most successful trainers in the country — and one of the most notorious for his many medication violations — is free to run in any other racing jurisdiction during the ban. That includes Santa Anita in California, where he intends to run a horse next week at the Breeders’ Cup, one of racing’s richest events.

cj
10-30-2009, 08:14 AM
He runs about one horse there a year...a nothing punishment.

illinoisbred
10-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Everything I've ever heard Mullin's say tells me he has total disdain for the bettors. Wasn't he 1 of the bigger outfits "milkshaking" a couple years back? It would be great if California honored this ruling.

11cashcall
10-30-2009, 09:12 AM
'The aggressive punishment of Mullins in New York comes at a time when horse racing is under intense scrutiny for its use of illegal drugs, overuse of legal medications and lax oversight, all of which many veterinarians believe are part of the reason the United States has the world’s worst mortality rate for thoroughbreds. Racing officials acknowledged they were trying to send a message, especially in light of Mullins’s public remarks in the wake of the incident and his cavalier attitude during two days of testimony at an administrative hearing.'

'The punishment will extend only so far, however. Mullins, one of the most successful trainers in the country — and one of the most notorious for his many medication violations — is free to run in any other racing jurisdiction during the ban.'

They'll keep doing so as long as these slap on the wrists continue.

Tom
10-30-2009, 10:03 AM
He runs about one horse there a year...a nothing punishment.

And that one was suspicious! :lol:

NatteringNeighBob
10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Everything I've ever heard Mullin's say tells me he has total disdain for the bettors. Wasn't he 1 of the bigger outfits "milkshaking" a couple years back? It would be great if California honored this ruling.
In a column published March 6 2005 in the Los Angeles Times Mullins is quoted as saying: "All the addicts and idiots [are] crying because they lost a $2 bet. It will never be a level playing field. There are a lot of things people don't know, and won't know. If you bet on horses, I would call you an idiot."

magwell
10-30-2009, 12:08 PM
One question.....how much time will the "three blind mice" do for all their blunders ?

hazzardm
10-30-2009, 01:38 PM

But a very fun guy to drink beer with ;)

TurfRuler
10-30-2009, 02:23 PM
But a very fun guy to drink beer with ;)

"I Want Revenge", nuff said.

alytim
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
What is the diffference between guys like Mullins and the criminals that bribe college kids to throw basketball games. I say there is no differnce. Throw these bums in jail and clean up the game before it's too late.

TurfRuler
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
What is the diffference between guys like Mullins and the criminals that bribe college kids to throw basketball games. I say there is no differnce. Throw these bums in jail and clean up the game before it's too late.

Just look at the picture at DRF of Jeff, he looks mean, mean, mean...I mean CIA/Madoff mean, the other guys are just sleezy and slick and try to remain undercover.

owlet
10-30-2009, 03:24 PM
It is too late.

hazzardm
10-30-2009, 03:25 PM
"I Want Revenge", nuff said.

DMFF refugee ????

TurfRuler
10-30-2009, 03:32 PM
DMFF refugee ????

Here, there, everywhere...where-ever there is a on-line handicapping competition, yes it started at DMFF, and ESPN and the website handicapping challenge held here years ago.

Bochall
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Too bad Cali won't uphold the NYRA suspension in their state...THAT would be punishment. If my memory serves me right, didn't he or his vet walk into the detention barn with a syringe IN THEIR FARGIN HAND?! And he calls bettors stupid.....

WinterTriangle
10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
>>all of which many veterinarians believe are part of the reason the United States has the world’s worst mortality rate for thoroughbreds. Racing officials acknowledged they were trying to send a message<<<

We breed for speed. We shoot the horses up so they run fast. We handicap using BSF's and clockers with stopwatches provide what American fans want. Maybe they should send a msg to breeders and bettors as well.

Or, maybe somebody should ask: what do we really want in this sport? What is good racing?

Here is what I hear all the time: "he won by 7 lengths!!!!!" "He is the fastest horse in the race!"

It's why we don't have many 2 mile races here. It's why some of us love the stalkers and deep closers. Deep fields and longer races.

WATCH the race with Sea the Stars in the Arc. It's about overcoming setbacks and obstacles. What he ACCOMPLISHED would not have happened on speed favoring dirt track. It wasn't about speed. Or breaking track records. It was about almost getting hung on the rail, and figuring out how to get thru, and in a huge field, no less.

I personally would like to see more gifted jockeys who know how to give a patient ride, how to time things. And trainers who are gifted horsemen, who know truly how to develop a horse, not just shoot them up so they can break track records.

I would like to see more breeding for stamina. And I would like to see horses race for years and years. Who have developed "skills".....who stay in the game long enough to develop skills. :) Ability should be the most coveted trait in American racing, but instead, speed is.

And speed has become a liability. Not in the way Beyer says it is a liability on synth....but it is a liability because of the practices it engenders in our racing and breeding.

I am convinced that most other horseplayers don't want what I want. I therefore see the bettors as somewhat "complicit" in keeping things "the way they are."

illinoisbred
10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
>>all of which many veterinarians believe are part of the reason the United States has the world’s worst mortality rate for thoroughbreds. Racing officials acknowledged they were trying to send a message<<<

We breed for speed. We shoot the horses up so they run fast. We handicap using BSF's and clockers with stopwatches provide what American fans want. Maybe they should send a msg to breeders and bettors as well.

Or, maybe somebody should ask: what do we really want in this sport? What is good racing?

Here is what I hear all the time: "he won by 7 lengths!!!!!" "He is the fastest horse in the race!"

It's why we don't have many 2 mile races here. It's why some of us love the stalkers and deep closers. Deep fields and longer races.

WATCH the race with Sea the Stars in the Arc. It's about overcoming setbacks and obstacles. What he ACCOMPLISHED would not have happened on speed favoring dirt track. It wasn't about speed. Or breaking track records. It was about almost getting hung on the rail, and figuring out how to get thru, and in a huge field, no less.

I personally would like to see more gifted jockeys who know how to give a patient ride, how to time things. And trainers who are gifted horsemen, who know truly how to develop a horse, not just shoot them up so they can break track records.

I would like to see more breeding for stamina. And I would like to see horses race for years and years. Who have developed "skills".....who stay in the game long enough to develop skills. :) Ability should be the most coveted trait in American racing, but instead, speed is.

And speed has become a liability. Not in the way Beyer says it is a liability on synth....but it is a liability because of the practices it engenders in our racing and breeding.

I am convinced that most other horseplayers don't want what I want. I therefore see the bettors as somewhat "complicit" in keeping things "the way they are."
Things will never change as long as there's 6 figure graded stake races for 2 yr. olds. Two year olds are either precocious or not and it can be easy money for horses that will probably struggle to win an allowance race as 3 yrs. olds[when the rest catch up in speed and endurance].

Hanover1
10-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Too bad Cali won't uphold the NYRA suspension in their state...THAT would be punishment. If my memory serves me right, didn't he or his vet walk into the detention barn with a syringe IN THEIR FARGIN HAND?! And he calls bettors stupid.....
The "syringe" was an oral administration tube...the "dope" was a wind aid sold in tack shops.....go easy here.... no needles involved, nothing that would test positive. The mere fact that he administereed ANYTHING was the violation here, not some doping issue. Wind aids of that sort are not effective unless just before post, and administration at the barn would not have any effect. Most of that stuff is like Vicks Vaporub, nothing more. I have used it for years, and it AINT nothin........

magwell
10-30-2009, 10:54 PM
The "syringe" was an oral administration tube...the "dope" was a wind aid sold in tack shops.....go easy here.... no needles involved, nothing that would test positive. The mere fact that he administereed ANYTHING was the violation here, not some doping issue. Wind aids of that sort are not effective unless just before post, and administration at the barn would not have any effect. Most of that stuff is like Vicks Vaporub, nothing more. I have used it for years, and it AINT nothin........ Right.. they scratch the horse and rule Mullins off for 6 months what a joke.The owners pay for shipping from cal. pay to run and the stewards dont have to answer to anybody.

owlet
10-31-2009, 12:05 AM
to the Mullins enablers: the guy HAS been caught with more than an empty syringe and an over the counter substance. do you get it, or is it too complicated for you?

bisket
10-31-2009, 03:20 AM

which is why poly track isn't such a bad thing. its just really ridiculous that they have tried say its an alternative to dirt tracks.

bisket
10-31-2009, 03:59 AM
Things will never change as long as there's 6 figure graded stake races for 2 yr. olds. Two year olds are either precocious or not and it can be easy money for horses that will probably struggle to win an allowance race as 3 yrs. olds[when the rest catch up in speed and endurance].
which is why you will never see me handicap them. two year old races at one time were merely to prepare a horse for the following years. lucas :p and baffert changed all that. those two saw an easy opportunity to make lots of money by purchasing horses by certain sires and mares that were known to have colts and fillies with lots of speed that developed early. the vast majority of two year old races are 5-8 furlongs because horses aren't developed enough to go longer. lucas and baffert would buy these early developers and train them for speed and work them much harder than any other trainer would dream of. before these two trainers came on the scene two year olds weren't put through hard drills in fear of injuring the horse. well baffert and lukas had a group of owners with deep pockets. so they could go through a group of 2 year olds and not worry so much about injuring them because there were plenty more back at the barn. these two year old and three year old races preparing horses for the triple crown were easy pickings for speed horses trained in this manner. the stamina horses would have absolutely no chance at winning at 5 furlongs to 1 1/16 mile against horses with speed trained like baffert and lukas. so the triple crown preparation races began to take a life of their own as far as their place in racing and before you knew it those races were just as lucrative and in most cases MORE lucrative than races in the handicap division. they were easy pickings for lukas and baffert stables. so now storm cat was the best sire for many years :rolleyes: . now before you know it we've got nothing but a group of horses that love to run fast early fractions and hang on for dear life the last 1/4 in a 1 1/4 mile race (rachel?). this method of running route races is just asking for injuries to the horses. the handicappers love these horses also. a cottage industry IN HANDICAPPING has developed that basically on rates early speed as :rolleyes: :bang: the BEST horse. :confused: so here we are with our most coveted racing stock with genes and running style predisposed to injury. we can't fill races because more of our horses don't make it past there 3 year old year without breaking down. :( i do believe poly track has a place in the game, but lets not say its the same as dirt :liar: all this is why i make money playing the horseys by not paying much attention to speed figures

Java Gold@TFT
10-31-2009, 05:12 AM
to the Mullins enablers: the guy HAS been caught with more than an empty syringe and an over the counter substance. do you get it, or is it too complicated for you?

Mullins: "Sorry Officer Friendly, I know it is against the law to go through a red light but just help me out here. It was 3 AM and I only had 2 beers tonight. I came to a complete stop at the light but it didn't turn green fast enough for me. I looked both ways and there were no other cars in sight so I went through the traffic light even though it was red. I really didn't know you were behind me watching me break the law but c'mon, it's not like nobody else goes through red lights. Can't we just let it pass just this one time."

Officer Friendly: "Sorry, just ran your license and this is hardly the first time you have done this. Time for a little introspection when the court tells you that your license is suspended."

Mullins: "Oh, you're just a sourpuss. I'll go to where I can break the law and drive my car any way I want to. The hell with NY."

Sound familiar?

Hanover1
10-31-2009, 11:29 AM
How does it get complicated? My post admitted that a violation occured. Did YOU miss where another poster implied that an injection was administered, when one was not? He WAS not caught a with a needle or drugs either. Perhaps only complication here is the fact that I can stand in several paddocks, in front of everybody, and orally administer same stuff with not even a glance, and no positive. Attack the policy not the posters. WE get it, and others do not.......

Hanover1
10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Kinda like: "Lets round up the usual suspects"? Trial by error, or guilt by association? Bet your not sure wich end to feed them, yet you judge this man... :lol:

joanied
10-31-2009, 12:07 PM
The thing that really got me is Mullin's lying...changing his story several times, and the fact he was seen tossing the empty syringe into the straw, covering it up, then changing his mind and rinsing it out in a bucket of water.
Got was he deserved and I also wish the industry would get really tough about these suspensions and have them honored at all tracks, not just where the trainer gets busted.

Hanover1
10-31-2009, 12:18 PM
The thing that really got me is Mullin's lying...changing his story several times, and the fact he was seen tossing the empty syringe into the straw, covering it up, then changing his mind and rinsing it out in a bucket of water.
Got was he deserved and I also wish the industry would get really tough about these suspensions and have them honored at all tracks, not just where the trainer gets busted.
As we have discussed time and time again, centralization of rulemaking and enforcement is the central issue most of the time when we cry about fines and punishments. What irks me most is that as a result of this issue, coupled with the fact that the facts get distorted along the way, perceptions get twisted, and the sport as a whole suffers as a result. Insofar as Mullins goes, he violated the toughest set of rules yet enforced, in an effort to clean things up, and should be dealt with in some manner-not for me to judge. His lies were an admission of guilt, what else? You and I both know as horsepeople, that what he did in that instance, beside the lie, and the rulebreaking, did nothing to harm the horse, or cheat the public. He took an inch, and expects a mile, and I agree that its wrong. But here again, what he did is NOT a problem in many other venues, and that IS the problem. Its the difference between a speculator, and investor, and a gambler, is it not?

illinoisbred
10-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Why do almost all trainers/owners remain quiet when things like this happen? This directly affects their livlihood . In my line of work if someone cheats, my company and all other related contractors contact the Illinois Labor Board and raise holy hell. Why do honest trainers stay mum? Raise your voices, make your circuit an in hospitable locale for such operators. Mullins and his ilk not only steal from the bettors, they rob trainers of income and eventually will take your clientele.

rwwupl
10-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Why do almost all trainers/owners remain quiet when things like this happen? This directly affects their livlihood . In my line of work if someone cheats, my company and all other related contractors contact the Illinois Labor Board and raise holy hell. Why do honest trainers stay mum? Raise your voices, make your circuit an in hospitable locale for such operators. Mullins and his ilk not only steal from the bettors, they rob trainers of income and eventually will take your clientele.

Rule breakers,Enablers, Apologists and the sort have given this game a terrible reputation in the public mind set. This is no way to grow the fan base in a sport that the public loves, but do not accept the way the game is policed and because of the perception of a lack of integrity most of the public will not touch it with a ten foot pole.

Horseracing has always risen or fell on the subject of integrity. Integrity is always the most important word where gambling is involved

Ask yourself, what has the ruling authorities done to inspire confidence in the mind of the public that this game values integrity,what program have they adopted that assures the public that they even care?

There is no problem that we have that can not be corrected in a short period of time by the right and strong Leadership of our senior racing managers.

The leaders we have lack the will and vision to do what is right

rwwupl

illinoisbred
10-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Rule breakers,Enablers, Apologists and the sort have given this game a terrible reputation in the public mind set. This is no way to grow the fan base in a sport that the public loves, but do not accept the way the game is policed and because of the perception of a lack of integrity most of the public will not touch it with a ten foot pole.

Horseracing has always risen or fell on the subject of integrity. Integrity is always the most important word where gambling is involved

Ask yourself, what has the ruling authorities done to inspire confidence in the mind of the public that this game values integrity,what program have they adopted that assures the public that they even care?

There is no problem that we have that can not be corrected in a short period of time by the right and strong Leadership of our senior racing managers.

The leaders we have lack the will and vision to do what is right

rwwupl
I agree. This entire issue is not rocket science. Racetracks and those that ply their trade [trainers] operate like they're a closed "boys club". You never hear an "insider" come out and raise issues regarding unfairness or illegality of their competitors. Like I said earlier, in any other line of work, we raise a stink. Now I know there are things us bettors will never know-who's cleaning out the feed tub/who isn't, who's a little sore or off but the owners in town, or he's bringing his golfing buddies to the track that day so the horse is going to run -we accept this as part of the game. The idea to newcomers or potential fans that this is an "insiders game" is the most serious issue confronting this sport. Horse racing will never grow until racetrack management and all those that derive their livlihood from it realize that.

Hanover1
10-31-2009, 11:55 PM
I agree. This entire issue is not rocket science. Racetracks and those that ply their trade [trainers] operate like they're a closed "boys club". You never hear an "insider" come out and raise issues regarding unfairness or illegality of their competitors. Like I said earlier, in any other line of work, we raise a stink. Now I know there are things us bettors will never know-who's cleaning out the feed tub/who isn't, who's a little sore or off but the owners in town, or he's bringing his golfing buddies to the track that day so the horse is going to run -we accept this as part of the game. The idea to newcomers or potential fans that this is an "insiders game" is the most serious issue confronting this sport. Horse racing will never grow until racetrack management and all those that derive their livlihood from it realize that.
I wonder where the axiom of not buying a car that rolled off the assembly line on a Friday came from?.....Its not just racing, but a mindset of mistrust, prompted by publicity.

illinoisbred
11-01-2009, 08:44 AM
I wonder where the axiom of not buying a car that rolled off the assembly line on a Friday came from?.....Its not just racing, but a mindset of mistrust, prompted by publicity.
Why don't you and all other honest operators insist on a level playing field. This has been my point in previous posts. You and other trainers should be the best source to stop these shenanigans. Lodge protests with the stewards,racing associations,or racing boards. Maybe they all need to be a little proactive/preventive instead of always reactive.

magwell
11-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Why don't you and all other honest operators insist on a level playing field. This has been my point in previous posts. You and other trainers should be the best source to stop these shenanigans. Lodge protests with the stewards,racing associations,or racing boards. Maybe they all need to be a little proactive/preventive instead of always reactive. Yea, that will happen when we have total transparency in government, a d.h. in the National league and a college football playoff......:D

Hanover1
11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Why don't you and all other honest operators insist on a level playing field. This has been my point in previous posts. You and other trainers should be the best source to stop these shenanigans. Lodge protests with the stewards,racing associations,or racing boards. Maybe they all need to be a little proactive/preventive instead of always reactive.
By and large, most of us DO insist on a level playing field. I never wanted to tell an owner we were racing for 2nd money because the other entrants were dirty. How are we to know when, where, and how? Its the same for others as well. We know who the suspects are, and they are policed. Public perception via media such as this really tends to magnify certain situations, and create an illusion that all of us are cheats, or something occured that did not. Trust me, from the backside perspective, cheats are not welcome, but are hard to detect. The old adage: "Who knows what evil lurks within the minds of men"? comes to mind. Doubt it will ever end actually. Since the dawn of time, competition and games of folly have been tainted with tales dirty deeds. The inclinations of man perhaps? Rather than continuing to wax poetic, I think we all agree that choirboys are not inclined to compete with the outcomes of random events i.e. a horserace, cardgame, ect.... Pokerplayers do not want the deck stacked against them, nor do horsemen. If we cashed all our tickets, would we not be less inclined to question the ingredients of the cake?

illinoisbred
11-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I never meant to infer that all trainers are cheaters. I really feel 95-98% are honest.

Hanover1
11-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I never meant to infer that all trainers are cheaters. I really feel 95-98% are honest.
I understand your message, and I agree. The decentralization of rules/enforcement is the key imo.....

TurfRuler
11-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Here is a message from so-called trainer, who beside's training his horses to be ready to win, so that he can make a good score without the public being aware of it....has the gall to wax poetic like a $100 an hour lawyer and expect us to be judge and jury and vote the way he is trying to persuade us with the honey tongued language. Bah humbug to you to bub.

Hanover1
11-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Here is a message from so-called trainer, who beside's training his horses to be ready to win, so that he can make a good score without the public being aware of it....has the gall to wax poetic like a $100 an hour lawyer and expect us to be judge and jury and vote the way he is trying to persuade us with the honey tongued language. Bah humbug to you to bub.
Whoever told this guy we train horses to dupe the public?......amusing :D

toetoe
11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
They warned him off for a week already. What's with the double jeopardy ? :confused:

Murph
11-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Whoever told this guy we train horses to dupe the public?......amusing :DYou were advocating "stiffing" runners and trying to get folks to agree with you in another thread here too, Hanover. Some folks are obviously not buying it.

Murph
11-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Why don't you and all other honest operators insist on a level playing field. This has been my point in previous posts. You and other trainers should be the best source to stop these shenanigans. Lodge protests with the stewards,racing associations,or racing boards. Maybe they all need to be a little proactive/preventive instead of always reactive.Maybe that is like throwing rocks around your glass house. You don't really want to make enemies of the other competitors. This self policing process is part of the way the current system is now running. It would be fantastic to see centralized and nationwide progress on enforceable rules and policies.

Hanover1
11-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Maybe that is like throwing rocks around your glass house. You don't really want to make enemies of the other competitors. This self policing process is part of the way the current system is now running. It would be fantastic to see centralized and nationwide progress on enforceable rules and policies.
Perhaps if you read my posts more carefully, you would see that I said the EXACT thing in regards to centralization, or do you choose to ignore it and focus on the fact that I am a trainer, and you would rather insinuate that I am a cheat as well? :confused:

Hanover1
11-01-2009, 06:26 PM
You were advocating "stiffing" runners and trying to get folks to agree with you in another thread here too, Hanover. Some folks are obviously not buying it.
Still haviong trouble telling the difference between a "stiff" vs giving a horse a race, I see.............

Murph
11-01-2009, 06:42 PM
C'mon man!
I didn't insinuate your are a cheat. We agree that the system is operating as it is designed to. Your comments sometimes strike emotional chords. We are discussing controversial issues. You are correct to assume I am suspicious of your motives because you are a trainer who likes to discuss controversial issues.

Keep posting 'em.

Hanover1
11-01-2009, 06:54 PM
C'mon man!
I didn't insinuate your are a cheat. We agree that the system is operating as it is designed to. Your comments sometimes strike emotional chords. We are discussing controversial issues. You are correct to assume I am suspicious of your motives because you are a trainer who likes to discuss controversial issues.

Keep posting 'em.
Its a part of what both sides have to deal with that brings me forth. If I could somehow singlehandedly fix the situation, I would. It is important to me to get the message out that not all of us are cheats, and we are trying on several levels, albiet unsuccesfully, to fix things. My business would double if bettors and public had a better opinion of the sport, and many of our guys seem to have little time to step forward.

Citation1947
11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
This guy is one lying scumbag. It is clowns like him who are destroying our beloved sport, and there are way too many of them in the business.

CBedo
11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
It's too bad they didn't make the suspension a couple months longer so that Mullins would still be suspended June 5, 2010 the date of the Belmont Stakes. I realize that the odds of him having a Belmont horse are not very high, but how great would it be if he had the Derby winner, won the Preakness, and then wasn't allowed to run in the Belmont! That would go a long way in putting drug infractions in the public eye.

WinterTriangle
11-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Because these are the races the bettors want. Speed and precociousness.

But, saying this is heresey. I was admonished in another topic: speed is the hallmark of American racing.

Breeders will go for speed, rather than durability and stamina. What kind of drugging is being done? Anti-inflammatories, antihistamines, hormones, steroids and bleeding meds. Connect the dots. .... "we just want you to run like hell (so what if you're brittle.:( ")

I hear racing fans *say* they are against drugs. But you have to be against the kind of things that keeps it going.....and also clean up the breeding and then start running them clean from the get-go.

Bute cools hot joints and quiets inflamed tendons. So, let's take the drugs way......send the horses out without it, instead of fixing the kind of racing, scheduling, training and distances, and ages they're expected to accomplish in their rigors on the racetrack.

Just taking their drugs away solves nothing. cripples still running on racetracks, except the cripples are also in PAIN, with inflamed tendons, bones and joints. hardly Compassionate.

Hall, winner of 3 Eclipse awards for writing in horseracing:"I think it's not such a bad idea to get away from speed, regardless of turf, dirt, or Poly. We're seeing the effects of speed on the breed, and I don't think anyone argues this any more. The question, then, is how do you encourage breeders and buyers to change? In a word, money. If racing associations begin to hang out larger purses for longer races, you'll eventually see breeders begin to react. One thing that got the sport in the shape that it's in now is the 2-year-old sales which are all about speed. Any way you look at it, it's all about the money. That's what drives this sport."

Me: (isn't what the bettors want?):confused:

Everyone in this sport has a stake in racing’s future. Yet I don’t see all persons in this sport taking ownership of that concept. There seems to be a lack of will to stimulate the people in racing into pulling together, into owning the sport and doing something to make it more palatable to the public. Most people in this sport seem to be focused on their self-interests........"

I'm assuming *everyone* includes .........everyone.

owlet
11-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Kinda like: "Lets round up the usual suspects"? Trial by error, or guilt by association? Bet your not sure wich end to feed them, yet you judge this man... :lol: >>

Yea, for sure, the issue is definitely whether I have to be a trainer in order to read and understand English--that's an accurate and well framed analysis.

Drug violations, milkshakes, it's all right here, clown. But then again you don't really care, do you? Ride that 'horsey' right off the pier, baby, maybe Jeff can find you a new 'girlfriend' in your hour of need.

http://chrb.ca.gov/administrative_hearings_stewards_hp.htm

illinoisbred
11-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Because these are the races the bettors want. Speed and precociousness.

But, saying this is heresey. I was admonished in another topic: speed is the hallmark of American racing.

Breeders will go for speed, rather than durability and stamina. What kind of drugging is being done? Anti-inflammatories, antihistamines, hormones, steroids and bleeding meds. Connect the dots. .... "we just want you to run like hell (so what if you're brittle.:( ")

I hear racing fans *say* they are against drugs. But you have to be against the kind of things that keeps it going.....and also clean up the breeding and then start running them clean from the get-go.

Bute cools hot joints and quiets inflamed tendons. So, let's take the drugs way......send the horses out without it, instead of fixing the kind of racing, scheduling, training and distances, and ages they're expected to accomplish in their rigors on the racetrack.

Just taking their drugs away solves nothing. cripples still running on racetracks, except the cripples are also in PAIN, with inflamed tendons, bones and joints. hardly Compassionate.

Hall, winner of 3 Eclipse awards for writing in horseracing:"I think it's not such a bad idea to get away from speed, regardless of turf, dirt, or Poly. We're seeing the effects of speed on the breed, and I don't think anyone argues this any more. The question, then, is how do you encourage breeders and buyers to change? In a word, money. If racing associations begin to hang out larger purses for longer races, you'll eventually see breeders begin to react. One thing that got the sport in the shape that it's in now is the 2-year-old sales which are all about speed. Any way you look at it, it's all about the money. That's what drives this sport."

Me: (isn't what the bettors want?):confused:

Everyone in this sport has a stake in racing’s future. Yet I don’t see all persons in this sport taking ownership of that concept. There seems to be a lack of will to stimulate the people in racing into pulling together, into owning the sport and doing something to make it more palatable to the public. Most people in this sport seem to be focused on their self-interests........"

I'm assuming *everyone* includes .........everyone.

Agree with most of what you say except where you say that this is what the bettors want. I think this is what breeders/owners and top echelon trainers want- a quick return on their investment. Have you seen the film "1st Saturday in May"[worth checking out if you haven't]? Dale Romans, in a introspective moment says that the only thing potential owners care about is how well a trainer does with 2 yr. olds and how many graded stakes he wins.

Hanover1
11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Kinda like: "Lets round up the usual suspects"? Trial by error, or guilt by association? Bet your not sure wich end to feed them, yet you judge this man... :lol: >>

Yea, for sure, the issue is definitely whether I have to be a trainer in order to read and understand English--that's an accurate and well framed analysis.

Drug violations, milkshakes, it's all right here, clown. But then again you don't really care, do you? Ride that 'horsey' right off the pier, baby, maybe Jeff can find you a new 'girlfriend' in your hour of need.

http://chrb.ca.gov/administrative_hearings_stewards_hp.htm
Since I am a clown, I cannot possibly be aware of the problems our sport face, including bettors who dont understand the game well enough to understand good intentions from bad ones. Milkshakes are a thing of the past by the way,......next time you find positive for excess carbon dioxide, you have a milkshake case. Another example of distorted facts, and namecalling....childish and inaccurate. Why are you continuing to bet on such a dirty rotten game?? And how is Mr Mullins finding me a girlfriend relavent to anything on this thread? Are we drinking of late? I have no "hour of need", as my days and nights are planned, thank you. Just what would that "hour of need" entail? You have strayed from reason and are now resorting to namecalling and emotional response....breathe deep, and RELAX... :lol: