PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this re: US Health Care

PaceAdvantage
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Since 46zilzal chose to ignore my question to him on another thread, I think I'll open the question up to all here in a new thread:

What does the United States, with it's supposed "INFERIOR" health care system experience more of:

A) An influx of foreigners seeking health care inside the U.S.

or

B) An outflux of U.S. citizens seeking health care in foreign countries, such as Canada.

If you know the answer to this question, please post a reply along with a brief explanation as to why your particular answer is the correct one...

DRIVEWAY
10-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Since 46zilzal chose to ignore my question to him on another thread, I think I'll open the question up to all here in a new thread:

What does the United States, with it's supposed "INFERIOR" health care system experience more of:

A) An influx of foreigners seeking health care inside the U.S.

or

B) An outflux of U.S. citizens seeking health care in foreign countries, such as Canada.

If you know the answer to this question, please post a reply along with a brief explanation as to why your particular answer is the correct one...

It's a simple riddle.
The Health Care available in ths USA is world class.

The Health Care System is an economically rationed process. Those with the best health care insurance and/or the most money get access to the best Health Care available.

Foreigners with deep pockets can get access to this Health Care. Money talks and nobody walks. Foreigners typically pay list price for services. Doctors and Hospitals welcome them with open arms. The INFLUX proves that the quality of Health Care is world class and the Health Care System is an INFERIOR money rationed system.

The OUTFLUX of US citizens is beginning to pick up steam. As the economic rationing of Health Care expands, more Americans are traveling to Singapore, India, Vietnam, Poland and even Canada for health care services.

So your riddle is solved. The Health Care is the best in the world, while the Health Care System is INFERIOR, which are both proven by the INFLUX of foreigners willing to pay for the best care available. At the same time foreigners are taking advantage of our Health Care, Americans are shutout by this economically rationed Health Care System.

Warren Henry
10-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Wow, I like Driveway's analysis.

However, I think that the economically rationing mechanism is broken.

By allowing anyone, regardless of means or legality of presence to have access to the product, we drive the price to the actual paying customer ever higher.

That is why the current system is unsustainable.

But, to fix it, we have hard choices.

If we believe that access to equal care is a fundamental right, we must open up the system to all. However, the level of care - in order to be equal - will necessarily suffer as there is no way in hell to provide the top level of care to everyone on demand.

If we believe that the economically rationed way is correct, we must tighten access to those who can actually pay. By eliminating the non-paying customers, the cost to the ones receiving care should actually go down making care more affordable to more people.

Tom
10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
The exodus will begin with the passage of the Obama debacle. Once quality health care here is no longer available.

bigmack
10-29-2009, 09:53 PM
I know a couple of folk that went abroad for spinal fusions. WAY less expensive.

(excerpt from link below)
At least 85,000 Americans choose to travel abroad for medical procedures each year, according to a recent report by the consulting firm McKinsey & Company. Treatment includes dental implants, hip and knee replacements, heart valve replacements and bypass surgery. The cost of surgery performed overseas can be as little as 20 percent of the price of the same procedure in the United States, according to a recent report by the American Medical Association.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/health/21patient.html

bigmack
10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_29_09_19_02_55.png

Robert Goren
10-30-2009, 12:46 AM
The very rich and famous often go to either France or Switzerland. That where high end experimental work is being done.

Robert Goren
10-30-2009, 12:59 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_29_09_19_02_55.pngMy gastoenterologist must be Canadian.

ddog
10-30-2009, 11:26 AM
The exodus will begin with the passage of the Obama debacle. Once quality health care here is no longer available.

even if "it" passes, "it" will be a nothing.

"it" will never see the light of day as far as being put into use.

Events will outrun "it".

The exodus has already started.

Many go elsewhere for their drugs and procedures.

The outsourcing of the HC industry is under way.

Kiss your ass good bye.

There is no reason an INdia doc working for 30K can't be used in place of a US doc working for 150K.

And that is exactly what the ins industry will push.

The U.S. in HC just as in all other industries is working hard to price itself out of the market.

In research even , we are falling behind now.

While many argue over silly points , the system is crumbling.

ddog
10-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow, I like Driveway's analysis.

However, I think that the economically rationing mechanism is broken.

By allowing anyone, regardless of means or legality of presence to have access to the product, we drive the price to the actual paying customer ever higher.

That is why the current system is unsustainable.

But, to fix it, we have hard choices.

If we believe that access to equal care is a fundamental right, we must open up the system to all. However, the level of care - in order to be equal - will necessarily suffer as there is no way in hell to provide the top level of care to everyone on demand.

If we believe that the economically rationed way is correct, we must tighten access to those who can actually pay. By eliminating the non-paying customers, the cost to the ones receiving care should actually go down making care more affordable to more people.

Your only choice is as close to the first one you layed out as possible.

It can be done in spite of the media and "interested" spin that is foisted on you all day long. It's amazing to me that the American exceptionalist arguement breaks down so easily along these lines. :rolleyes:

Your 2nd option will not work. The costs would not go down in all cases. But up in some. The theory you follow is not the real world. The price is not rationally set, you will pay ANYTHING for a life saving(?) procedure.

It's not like traded options.
Not to mention the fact that if you have millions of sick diseased people running around , then you will have mass chaos stem from that.
The other non-gvt social welfare systems would collapse.