PDA

View Full Version : California's unique way of raising money

Dave Schwartz
10-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Last week my wife and I took a driving vacation to Monterey, CA. We returned on Saturday.

On Monday we received a letter from the California Highway Patrol asking us to provide proof that we are not California residents trying to avoid paying car registration fees.

The letter we received has a case number, all our vehicle registration information (including address).

When I called them they said this was "standard" when "someone reports you." When I queried the officer about how this happens, he says that any CA resident can report you. He told me that we were "seen driving on I-680 around San Jose."

What's next? A passport to visit California?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

46zilzal
10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Reminds me a bit of a fellow here who wanted a personalized plate so he thought ABC 123 would be fun. He started to get tickets from all over, often miles away at the same time. Seems the training programs for meter maids, UNBEKNOWN to him, use ABC 123. He had to go to court to PROVE it wasn't him being 400 miles apart on the same day getting a parking ticket.

Ridiculous

Overlay
10-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Last week my wife and I took a driving vacation to Monterey, CA. We returned on Saturday.

On Monday we received a letter from the California Highway Patrol asking us to provide proof that we are not California residents trying to avoid paying car registration fees.

The letter we received has a case number, all our vehicle registration information (including address).

When I called them they said this was "standard" when "someone reports you." When I queried the officer about how this happens, he says that any CA resident can report you. He told me that we were "seen driving on I-680 around San Jose."

What's next? A passport to visit California?

Your comment gave me a disturbing sense of deja vu (from my Post #5 in the following previous thread):

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54668&page=1&highlight=registration

Except now (judging from your post), it appears that the DMV has deputized every California driver to enforce its policies. Do "informers" whose reports are validated receive a bounty of some sort?

bigmack
10-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Dave - You must have cut someone off along the way.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_28_09_11_28_19.png

Greyfox
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Geez. Obviously they're not worried about the tourism industry. That ads a turn off.

46zilzal
10-28-2009, 02:39 PM
from the original

Show Me the Wire
10-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Geez. Obviously they're not worried about the tourism industry. That ads a turn off.

Do not understand how Cali can get away with the idea employment constitutes residency in Cali. Employment is not a sole factor in determining residency.

So literally a consultant that accepts employment in CA and commutes weekly in ans out of the state via airplane would have to register his car as a resident. Sounds very anti-commerce and very anti-right to pursue life liberty and happines.

LottaKash
10-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I wonder if their is a "bounty" paid to whistleblowers ???..(i mean observers)...

best,

Tom
10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
They must figure anyone in California who doesn't live there must be nuts! :lol:

Greyfox
10-28-2009, 03:07 PM
They must figure anyone in California who doesn't live there must be nuts! :lol:

We used to say California is like a Granola bar. Its full of fruits and nuts.

http://www.donogh.com/cooking/foodpix/squares/granola.jpg.

chickenhead
10-28-2009, 03:48 PM
sorry Dave, I didn't realize that was you...

Dave Schwartz
10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
What? Did I miss an insult? :lol:

Listen, I've been insulted by better insulterurs than you, Mr. Chicken-man.

:lol:

Do not understand how Cali can get away with the idea employment constitutes residency in Cali. Employment is not a sole factor in determining residency.

So literally a consultant that accepts employment in CA and commutes weekly in ans out of the state via airplane would have to register his car as a resident. Sounds very anti-commerce and very anti-right to pursue life liberty and happines.

And imagine that with that residency they get to charge you income tax on what you make as well... ALL OF IT - not just what you earn in CA!

JustRalph
10-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Dave, check this one out...........the bastards will do anything

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2008/080131me.html

AOPA member shares his story

Kahn’s $26,000 bill has captured nationwide attention from the aviation and nonaviation news media. He took time out of his schedule on Jan. 30 to share his story with fellow AOPA members.

Kahn purchased his SR22 from Cirrus Design in 2002, but did not pay a sales tax because his home state of Massachusetts had an exemption in place for aircraft purchases. Like any pilot, Kahn started using the aircraft to fly from Laurence G. Hanscom Field in Bedford, where the aircraft is based, to Knox County Regional in Rockland, Maine, near his summer home. He could make the trip in less than an hour by flying, whereas a drive could take four or more hours depending on traffic. Kahn also makes Angel Flights into the state, but the number of trips did not bring the aircraft’s total time in the state below the 20-day threshold.

In May 2007, Kahn received a bill for 5 percent of the SR22’s purchase price. That came to about $17,500. But, adding insult to injury, Kahn said he was also charged interest for the four years he didn’t pay the use tax, which he did not know about or receive a bill. Interest brought the total to about $26,000—and it’s still accruing because he’s fighting the bill.

“Maine Revenue Services is...arbitrarily combining statutes in the Maine tax code to suit their purposes,” Kahn told AOPA. “The result is to blindside pilots with huge tax bills—knowing full well that they will be caught by surprise!”

Kahn said that if he had known about the laws he would have altered his travel behavior to avoid the huge bill.

bigmack
10-28-2009, 05:43 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_28_09_14_40_49.png

Dave Schwartz
10-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Mack,

Where did you get that?

:lol:

Ralphie,

More of the same, huh?

You know, if they work at it, these states can really make people not want to come back.

Dave

boxcar
10-28-2009, 05:59 PM
As the economy worsens, I believe governments at all levels will become predators preying in all diverse manners upon citizens to squeeze every last cent out of us. We haven't seen anything yet.

Boxcar

Tom
10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
But we never seen cut backs in welfare. How is that? I thought we were supposed to have shared sacrifice?

Show Me the Wire
10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I wonder if all the undocumented (illegal) aliens are registering and paying the motor vehicle tax?

Tom
10-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I wonder if all the undocumented (illegal) aliens are registering and paying the motor vehicle tax?:lol::lol::lol:

bigmack
10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
I wonder if all the undocumented (illegal) aliens are registering and paying the motor vehicle tax?
Stop the wondering. Unfortunately, their want for a better life has a heavy price on our better life.

More than 71% of all apprehended cars stolen in 2005 in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California were stolen by illegal aliens or transport “coyotes.”
47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance, and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are illegal aliens.
63% of cited/stopped drivers in Arizona have no license, no insurance, and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 63%, 97% are illegal aliens.
66% of cited/stopped drivers in New Mexico have no license, no insurance, and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 66%, 98% are illegal aliens.
More than 43% of all Food Stamps issued are to illegal aliens.
More than 41% of all unemployment checks issued in the United States are to illegal aliens.
62% of all “undocumented immigrants” in the United States are working for cash and not paying taxes, predominantly illegal aliens, working without a green card.
95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens.
86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for illegal aliens.
75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Albuquerque are illegal aliens.
More than 66% of all births in California are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

GaryG
10-28-2009, 06:39 PM
95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens.
86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for illegal aliens.
75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Albuquerque are illegal aliens.
More than 66% of all births in California are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.Those numbers are shocking. They are taking back the country and making it a banana republic.....without the ****ing bananas. That increaded take virtually dooms CA racing, new dirt tracks or not. My solution: Armed guards at the border in towers, like at a prison, spaced evenly along the entire border. Shoot to kill, no questions asked. If the Mexican govt doesn't like it....screw em.

Show Me the Wire
10-28-2009, 06:42 PM
47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance, and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are illegal aliens.

Well since it appears the law is not being enforced uniformily, don't worry Dave, its an arbitrary law and thus illegal. :eek:

Tom
10-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Guess where Arnie could save some taxpayer money?

The dopenator. :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

JustRalph
10-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Land Mines are cheap. Cheaper than fencing

boxcar
10-28-2009, 09:51 PM

Written like a true xenophobic. :D

Boxcar

Hanover1
10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
The most logical and cost effective method to stop the curb of illegal entrants. Sadly, since it makes sense, and cannot be taxed, it wont fly Orville.... :lol:

delayjf
10-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Bigmack,

Shocking numbers indeed, can you tell me the source?

bigmack
10-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Shocking numbers indeed, can you tell me the source?
http://nationalwriterssyndicate.com/content/view/78/2/

http://immigrationcounters.com/

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_28_09_21_45_06.png

http://www.borderinvasionpics.com/privateshowing/BIPevidence1.html

hazzardm
10-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Humboldt County could alleviate a lot of the tax shortfall all by themselves :cool:

OTM Al
10-29-2009, 03:26 PM
At least the governor still has his sense of humor....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/10/28/MNBN1ABKB8.DTL&o=0

ddog
10-29-2009, 04:23 PM
We have the manpower and the resources to put an end to this raid by the illegals.

Sadly , those on the left want the votes and many on the right want the labor.

So, we instead guard the borders of countries all over the world while we are raped and pillaged here at home.

Thanks Regan/Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama you traitor scum , the lot of you and the lumps that ride with you.

This right/left b.s that many push here, where did it get you.

Yah, RIGHT there, that's where they got you you lumps, you chumps.

They will be coming for Utah in about 5 years. Utah is busted now as well.

Good job, clowns.

ddog
10-29-2009, 04:30 PM

The gvt can have this written into contracts and do in many states.

It's the same thing as a residency requirement for employment.

The game is the same on both sides, many claim non-residence exactly to escape the tax. I don't blame them but that's the game they are playing.
Don't TAKE THE JOB. YOU DON'T have a RIGHT TO THAT ONE!

ddog
10-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Dave, check this one out...........the bastards will do anything

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2008/080131me.html

AOPA member shares his story

Kahn’s $26,000 bill has captured nationwide attention from the aviation and nonaviation news media. He took time out of his schedule on Jan. 30 to share his story with fellow AOPA members.

Kahn purchased his SR22 from Cirrus Design in 2002, but did not pay a sales tax because his home state of Massachusetts had an exemption in place for aircraft purchases. Like any pilot, Kahn started using the aircraft to fly from Laurence G. Hanscom Field in Bedford, where the aircraft is based, to Knox County Regional in Rockland, Maine, near his summer home. He could make the trip in less than an hour by flying, whereas a drive could take four or more hours depending on traffic. Kahn also makes Angel Flights into the state, but the number of trips did not bring the aircraft’s total time in the state below the 20-day threshold.

In May 2007, Kahn received a bill for 5 percent of the SR22’s purchase price. That came to about $17,500. But, adding insult to injury, Kahn said he was also charged interest for the four years he didn’t pay the use tax, which he did not know about or receive a bill. Interest brought the total to about $26,000—and it’s still accruing because he’s fighting the bill.

“Maine Revenue Services is...arbitrarily combining statutes in the Maine tax code to suit their purposes,” Kahn told AOPA. “The result is to blindside pilots with huge tax bills—knowing full well that they will be caught by surprise!”

Kahn said that if he had known about the laws he would have altered his travel behavior to avoid the huge bill.

ignorence of the law is no excuse, just as when a deadbeat gets taken to the bank by a home seller in the fine print.

Show Me the Wire
10-29-2009, 04:39 PM
The gvt can have this written into contracts and do in many states.

It's the same thing as a residency requirement for employment.

The game is the same on both sides, many claim non-residence exactly to escape the tax. I don't blame them but that's the game they are playing.
Don't TAKE THE JOB. YOU DON'T have a RIGHT TO THAT ONE!

Your scenario is entirely different than what I proposed in my example regarding consultants to private non-governmental entities.

ddog
10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
No, only the first part is different.

If a gvt lays taxes for whatever on a biz within it's borders and the work is done there, then they have to be paid.
simply the law holds.

Show Me the Wire
10-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Employment is not the test of residency, but residency may be required for such employment. Entirely different than your scenario. Mnay people reside outside the State of New York, while working there. Yes they may have to pay taxes to NY for wages earned in the state, but are not required to register their personal vehicles. You know why? Because it is unconstitutional unless you agree to it as a condition of employment.

ddog
10-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Employment is not the test of residency, but residency may be required for such employment. Entirely different than your scenario. Mnay people reside outside the State of New York, while working there. Yes they may have to pay taxes to NY for wages earned in the state, but are not required to register their personal vehicles. You know why? Because it is unconstitutional unless you agree to it as a condition of employment.

and your last sentence is why it's not un-free anything as you stated before.

I don't like the policy, but it's not un-free at all. You chose to take the deal or not.

However due to the scamming that is done on the whole resident non-resident front, i can't blame the locals for trying to crack the scam.

Show Me the Wire
10-29-2009, 05:01 PM
and your last sentence is why it's not un-free anything as you stated before.

I don't like the policy, but it's not un-free at all. You chose to take the deal or not.

huh?

Cali or no other state can enforce a blanket law stating that accepting any employment in the state from a non-government entity establishes residency.

That type of of law also takes the bargaining power of the employer away to hire the best qualified candidate. It limits the employer to hiring only people that are willing to be residents of Cali. Too many problems with the idea that employment by itself satisfies the residency requirement.