PDA

View Full Version : Any truth about Santa Anita going back dirt after Oak Tree ?

Igeteven
10-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Any truth about Santa Anita going back dirt after Oak Tree??

I heard something in the grape vine that Santa Anita may go back to Dirt under extreme pressure form the horsemen and the player.

Does anyone know???

Hope it is true.

docicu3
10-27-2009, 11:12 PM
And you got this where????

Igeteven
10-28-2009, 01:07 AM
I know a guy who works there, I will not mention his name. I am hoping some one who works there will tell the truth and come forward.

cwwash
10-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Any truth about Santa Anita going back dirt after Oak Tree??

I heard something in the grape vine that Santa Anita may go back to Dirt under extreme pressure form the horsemen and the player.

Does anyone know???

Hope it is true.

Believe me on this they are working on it. Mr. Charles has been lobbying Mr S. Mr S. though doesn't want to part with the $2 millions that it would cost. I will try and get some more info on this one later this week.

fmolf
10-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Believe me on this they are working on it. Mr. Charles has been lobbying Mr S. Mr S. though doesn't want to part with the $2 millions that it would cost. I will try and get some more info on this one later this week.
The way i see it they can pay it now and maybe,maybe help california racing take its rightful place right next to the nyra circuit as the nations best racing on a daily year round basis.Otherwise they are going to continue to die a slow death hemorraging their handle till theres nothing left!

JustRalph
10-28-2009, 05:24 PM
who cares with 5 horse fields and a huge takeout

CBedo
10-28-2009, 05:54 PM
who cares with 5 horse fields and a huge takeoutHuge takeout? California tracks actually rank pretty high for having some of the LOWEST takeouts.

CBedo
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Do you think they could get the Breeder's Cup back for a third straight year in 2010 if they promised a dirt track by then? :lol:

rrbauer
10-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Do you think they could get the Breeder's Cup back for a third straight year in 2010 if they promised a dirt track by then? :lol:

Lets do the Reality Trip right here.

Santa Anita ain't going to switch to a dirt track. This year. Next year. Or, any year in the foreseeable future. They have the plastic track due to a mandate from the CHRB. They spent a ton of money to get where they're at. When the CHRB drops the mandate then tracks can take a look at where they're at and what the cost/benefit proposition is to switch surfaces. Right now I don't see/hear any of the horse people complaining in general about the plastic tracks. And those complaints should they arise, will go much farther towards any changes, than rumors on a horseplayer message board.

CapperLou
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I'll add my two cents here:

I think Rich is right on the money with his post above. Plastic will be here for sometime. Lot of dough invested.

I wish the fields were larger and not so many lousy maiden races with entries that cannot run if they wanted to. I will not play into small fields. My minimum field is seven runners. No value in short fields.

Right now the takeouts here and KEE are wonderful; again it's the short fields and lack of quality that poses a challenge for me.

Hajck Hillstrom
10-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Lets do the Reality Trip right here.Thanks Richard. Can always count on you to get to the heart of the matter.:ThmbUp:

castaway01
10-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Huge takeout? California tracks actually rank pretty high for having some of the LOWEST takeouts.

There was a big thread here about the bill that just passed giving the tracks the right to raise takeout by up to 5%. Exacta takeout in CA, for example, is currently 20.68%. That's in the mid-range of all tracks---it's better than, say, Turfway (22%) but worse than, say, Churchill (19%). If in a few years it's 25.68%, it's not exactly a bargain, is it?

Mr. Bauer summed up everything else quite nicely.

twindouble
10-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Other than some players having a problem getting a handle on synthetic tracks to make money or their figures becoming useless, what has been the net effect when it comes to injuries, good or bad? That was the intent and I thought it was a good idea to begin with.

One thing I'll agree with, I hate the idea of any governing body mandating anything that puts an unnecessary burden on any business. Especially when close associates will benefit from that mandate and those accusations were brought up here. Was there any truth to that?

How many trainers and owners refuse to run their stock on synthetic tracks? Is that the reason for short fields at SA? I thought Del Mar had a good size fields this last meet, first two or three races no but on the average they had plenty of horses to pad the cards with lousy conditions to create carryovers in the pick 6 and high five. I had a successful meet at Del Mar but it wasn't easy, had to pick my shots and avoid some pools that I normally would have played into. I passed on SA for that reason this meet thinking they would throw the same crap at me. I like the pick 4,5, and 6 so I'm looking for greener pastures.

Right now I'm having fun with of all places Charles Town. LOL. Hey, I started out with tracks like that. I wonder what players of today would do if they brought back what I consider to be real dirt tracks? You know, when you walked across a heavy track your boots weighed 5 lbs more or a muddy track and you heard that sucking noise with each step. Did you ever get stuck in the mud? Try running in it.

CBedo
10-29-2009, 12:54 PM
There was a big thread here about the bill that just passed giving the tracks the right to raise takeout by up to 5%. Exacta takeout in CA, for example, is currently 20.68%. That's in the mid-range of all tracks---it's better than, say, Turfway (22%) but worse than, say, Churchill (19%). If in a few years it's 25.68%, it's not exactly a bargain, is it?

Mr. Bauer summed up everything else quite nicely.So you're not betting a track now because of it's possible future takeout rate? Is that a net present value of potential future taxation rate? :rolleyes:

Wow, I hope you don't run your personal finances this way! :lol: