PDA

View Full Version : Lukas loses Padua Stables

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2001, 12:45 AM
Satish Sanan takes most of his horses that were formerly under Lukas control and disperses them among a bunch of high profile trainers -- Steve Asmussen, Bob Baffert, Michael Dickenson, Bill Mott and Todd Pletcher.

This announcement comes just days after Sanan's $3.4 million unraced filly injures herself in training and has to be retired. Also, Exchange Rate broke down during a workout recently and will never race again.

Although Lukas gets to keep a couple of horses, this surely will be a huge blow to his operation. Will he again rise again from the ashes as he did when he lost Gene Klein back in the 80s??

Surely a man such as Lukas who has achieved so much in this sport won't have any trouble finding quality stock to train.....or is his time at the top of this game finally over???

Thoughts??

==PA

smf
08-04-2001, 06:28 AM
I think perhaps some things about DWL has turned off a lot of people in the business.

Bob Lewis was a guest on Roger Stein's show last month. The subject of Lukas' comments about Chris Antley came up and Lewis couldn't have been much more critical w/o saying that "DWL is a jerk" concerning the comments about Antley that DWL made.

The line of questioning seemed as if Lewis himself wanted to comment on the subject w/o actually making a statement, per se. Among the things he said was that at no time did Lukas ever mention that he was thinking about taking Antley off Charismatic, and that if it was a possibility surely he'd talk to the owner about the possibilty of a jock switch in a Triple Crown event.

Lewis then went out of his way to say that in his mind he felt Antley was responsible for Charismatic being a sire today, and not 6 feet under (with Antley getting off the horse and holding the injured leg at the finish line).

I guess it will be interesting to see how many 2yo's DWL gets from Lewis (and others) in the future.

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2001, 05:41 PM
So what does Lukas do a day after losing his biggest client?? He goes out and beats A P Valentine and Congaree with longshot Scorpion in the Jim Dandy at Saratoga. Something tells me he'll get through the loss of Padua just fine.....

==PA

Bobby
08-04-2001, 05:46 PM
Like Randy Moss on ESPN said, just when you think D Wayne is down on his last knee, he comes back, today winning with Scorpion in the Jim Dandy.
I was kind of thinking the same of D. Wayne, maybe he's getting past his time.
Bobby

Tom
08-04-2001, 05:51 PM
From a handicapping point of view, what paceline would anyone use to make Scorpion a contender?
Tom