PDA

View Full Version : Artifical insemination call

46zilzal
10-27-2009, 01:03 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/26/lydia-hislop-artificial-insemination-horse-racing

46zilzal
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/26/lydia-hislop-artificial-insemination-horse-racing

I has worked to allow hybrid vigor from standard breds all over the world and with DNA technology as advanced as it is, the chances of ringer semen is minimized.

joanied
10-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I read the article, which really doesn't say much. But I know AI has been discussed for the Thoroughbred, and tossed out quickly.
It does have it's benefits...but, despite them, IF the Thoroughbred breeding industry goes to AI, it will have to be extremely well monitored.

AI is great for the mare, both physically and mentally...most mares do get quite stressed on live cover, no matter how much they are 'in'. AI is easy for them...they never even know they are getting pregnant.:)
The percentage of mares settleing via AI is as high, or higher than live cover. You don't have to worry about infection setting in because a stallion wasn't quite clean enough. You don't have to haul a mare, everything is done at home which is better for the mare...many mares will actually abort their pregnancy on the van/trailer ride back home...they get so nervous and stressed, they loose their foal during the ride back home...it just get absorbed.

For the Stallions, you don't have to worry about them getting kicked, and semen collected from one 'cover' can be used for several mares...thus, the stallion isn't subjected to mounting as often, which is better for them, as many stallions will eventually develope hind end problems.

Not all Stallions will take to a phantom mare...they need to be taught how to mount one. You need to tease the stallions, like we do the mares, with an in heat mare...then take him to the phantom mare. Collection is pretty easy if you are working with a stallion that doesn't mind the phantom mare proceedure...and there will always be a few stallions that simply will not mount a phantom mare.

As for monitoring the process, DNA samples would have to be taken, security measures would have to be very, very strict, and, IMO, books should not be made larger than we already have (which is too much).
Shipping semen...this is why the DNA would be so important...one thing they could do is require photos of the mare being inseminated, to go along with DNA and other forms of ID...the DNA would be for both mares & studs...and once the foal drops, DNA must be taken and recorded.

When I first began my little breeding operation, the mares were live covered...it was a pain in the ass, the mares hated it...being away from home, the trailer ride, and I hated it because I was away from the foals at a very crucial time in their development...learning their 'lessons' of leading, getting feet picked up and cleaned out..all the things you need to do to raise a foal with excellent ground manners.
Once I started using AI, not only could I use stallions from out of state, rather than the locals, the mares were happy as can be, they stood in the chute, got inseminated, didn't feel a thing, and always 'took'...I didn't loose one day with my babies...everyone was happy!!

If the TB is to go by way of AI...they need to be very careful, but, I think it might be a good thing...I wouldn't have said that 10 years ago...but after first hand experience with it, I do like the proceedure....and the mares sure do:D