PDA

View Full Version : Cody Autrey to Aqueduct

Cholly
10-27-2009, 09:44 AM
I was surprised to see that Cody Autrey is moving his string to Aqueduct. In recent years he’s done very well at the Fair Grounds. The lure of the bright lights must be pretty strong to get him to swap winter in New Orleans for the winds coming off Jamaica Bay. I’ve never experienced them myself, but I hear in January they can be a tad chilly.

I’m sure he’ll be greeted with open arms by the trainers who are Aqueduct regulars. As a gesture of hospitality, they might even claim one or two of his horses—just to reduce his workload so that he’ll have more time to enjoy the sights. Welcome to New York!

lamboguy
10-27-2009, 09:47 AM
he just made mince meat of the deleware meet.probably pinochio will out class him in new york.

bitter
10-27-2009, 11:43 AM
he'll play the claim game up there real well, he's a solid trainer

strapper
10-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Cody has been on a steady rise to the top. He has good owners behind him and that's what you need.

Fingal
10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I’m sure he’ll be greeted with open arms by the trainers who are Aqueduct regulars. As a gesture of hospitality, they might even claim one or two of his horses—just to reduce his workload so that he’ll have more time to enjoy the sights. Welcome to New York!

A couple of years ago he brought a string out to Del Mar. Didn't win a race, but he had a profitable meet as he had them claimed away by a desperate for horses S. Cal circuit. So one has to wonder as to what's his agenda, to win races or move stock ? :confused:

fmolf
10-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Cody has been on a steady rise to the top. He has good owners behind him and that's what you need.
It can get very cold at aqueduct especially in the am's.He should do all right if he can make a few solid claims himself.He may have a rough time getting the top jocks at first.Till his stock proves themselves.Look for Luzzi to ride for him at first.He was a well respected jock whose business has dwindled in recent months.

illinoisbred
10-27-2009, 12:48 PM
From observations at the Fair Grounds, he's like a cagey poker player with big class droppers. Most seem to run poorly-very poorly. As soon as you begin to feel that they're the kiss of death, he pulls 1 or 2 over.

hazzardm
10-27-2009, 04:42 PM
In a similar vein, I recently heard Jamie Ness was not headed back to Tampa, but looking at Pennsylvania slot purses this winter. The kid knows how to place his horses.

fmolf
10-27-2009, 04:48 PM
In a similar vein, I recently heard Jamie Ness was not headed back to Tampa, but looking at Pennsylvania slot purses this winter. The kid knows how to place his horses.
I believe ....I could be wrong.. that he had some problems at tampa the last meet there.Pehaps some of our florida friends might chime in with more info.

Mineshaft
10-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Autry had some horses work at FG last week so maybe he will be doing both Aqueduct and FG

illinoisbred
10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Ness had some problems at Canterbury too. I believe a reporter outright accused him and Justin Evans of cheating. Ness and the reporter got into a physical altercation. Neither returned to Canterbury this year.

MickJ26
10-27-2009, 05:17 PM
A couple of years ago he brought a string out to Del Mar. Didn't win a race, but he had a profitable meet as he had them claimed away by a desperate for horses S. Cal circuit. So one has to wonder as to what's his agenda, to win races or move stock ? :confused:

I agree, Autrey is there to get his horses claimed.

Zman179
10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
The lure of the bright lights must be pretty strong to get him to swap winter in New Orleans for the winds coming off Jamaica Bay. I’ve never experienced them myself, but I hear in January they can be a tad chilly.

That's like saying the Atlantic Ocean is a little wet.

SOUTHERN SLEW
10-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Yes Aqueduct is quite nippy in the winter but its well heated and the atmosphere is very exciting as the smaller facility tends to create more excitement. Dutrow should dominate the trainers before he heads off to FL and some of the local Aqueduct trainers with cheaper stock and look for the less publicized jockeys to do well as the more popular jockeys head to Florida

phatbastard
10-27-2009, 07:17 PM
i imagine D Cohen and A Napravnik will follow him north

postpicker
10-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Autrey will have no trouble getting top jocks to ride for him. He will have Delaware jocks familiar with him like Cohen, Napravnik and Saez (possibly Jeremy Rose too) as well as bugboy Saldana available to him all winter. Also, I wouldn't go as far and say Dutrow will dominate, if anyone dominates Aqueduct, it is Contessa. Also, Dutrow is serving 30 days starting Nov. 15th.

JohnGalt1
10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Jamie Ness did run horses at Canterbury this year, but his assistant did the on track training.

He started 71 and won 17 placed 11 and 13 showed.

bushwick
10-27-2009, 10:15 PM
The only thing that will keep Autrey from dominating AQU. is the abscence of NY Breds in his stable. He will claim those but dont know if he wil have the depth. No way he is outside the top 5 on the trainers list.

phatbastard
10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
is Saldana going to nyra for sure? i was hoping he would head south.....cartagena was riding him quite a bit @ del

i think he is going to be decent

postpicker
10-28-2009, 10:10 AM
is Saldana going to nyra for sure? i was hoping he would head south.....cartagena was riding him quite a bit @ del

i think he is going to be decent

Saldana's agent is also Gabriel Saez' agent and since Saez will be at Aqueduct, so will Saldana. Also, bugboy Luis Saez will remain at Calder for the timebeing but could reappear at Aqueduct at the end of the Tropical Park meet.

MickJ26
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Contessa and Levine will be 1-2. The Dutrows will probably be 3-4. Autrey will be vying with Kiaran and Pletcher for 5th most likely. Just my opinion.

castaway01
10-29-2009, 08:43 AM
It's an interesting move---Autrey is crafty. As some others have posted, the question is whether he's bringing in horses hoping to get them claimed away while biding time for Fair Grounds, or if he's going to be doing a lot of claiming himself. If he does his usual claiming and has enough horses running, there's no reason why he can't be near the top of the trainer standings.

As far as jockeys, I read that Cohen is going to try Aqueduct. Rosie Napravnik was there last winter and did decently considering the horses she got to ride; she'll be back again this year. Autrey will be able to get whoever he wants to ride though, or close to it.

strapper
10-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Autrey certainly goes to the Big A on a tear, upending Scott Lake for the Delaware title, not an easy task.

Citation1947
11-01-2009, 07:18 PM

Actually it's more like he is on the "watch" list at Tampa.