PDA

View Full Version : AIDAN O'BRIEN OUTLINES BREEDERS' PLANS

Gorgeous George
10-27-2009, 04:03 AM
The Ballydoyle Breeders' Cup picture is becoming slightly clearer after Aidan O'Brien outlined plans for some of his team.

Dual Group One winner Rip Van Winkle looks set to fly the flag for the stable in the Breeders' Cup Classic, while Irish 2000 Guineas victor Mastercraftsman has the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile as his main objective.

"Rip Van Winkle is in the Classic and we've also entered Mastercraftsman in that race, but his stated preference is for the Mile Dirt race," said O'Brien.

"However, we are allowed to change preferences closer to the race.

"Man Of Iron is in the Breeders' Cup Marathon, while Alfred Nobel and Beethoven are both in the Juvenile Dirt.

"Lilly Langtry is in the fillies' grass race (Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf), while Viscount Nelson is in the colts' grass race (Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf)."

OTM Al
10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Nice group coming over. If Mastercraftsman does run in the dirt mile, that means 2 things. 1) He will destroy the field and 2) O'Brien thinks Rip is close to a lock for the Classic

I know Beethoven took his last, but I think Alfred is much much better.

I don't recall the other 2 juvies. What do you know about them?

nearco
10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
The Dirt Mile seems like an odd choice. Maybe they have hopes to stand him in the US afterwards and want to gain some US maintrack cred. Or they think Goldikova is unbeatable in the Mile. Or some combo or both.
I didn't fancy him in the Classic, faded badly under pressure in the Irish Champion stakes.

Gorgeous George
10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Lillie Langtry

Vital Stats

Runs-6 1st 2nd 3rd
Lifetime 3 2 1
She is a high class juvenile and has won a group 2 race in ireland. O'Brien rates her highly and she should go close. She is at the top of the betting for next years classics.

Viscount Nelson

Vital Stats

Runs-4 1st 2nd 3rd
Lifetime 2 1 1
An american bred who wouldnt be the best of o'briens two-year-olds. His two victories came on soft ground so cant really explain why o'brien is sending him over. Best avoided in the betting.

Humph
10-27-2009, 01:22 PM
It looks as if Aidan is aiming his slighty lesser juvenile lights - if that is the right term - at the BC , with his star 2-Y-Os - St. Nicholas Abbey and, possibly, Steinbeck- remaining in Ireland.

For what it's worth, I have my reservations about Lillie Langtry. Sure , she's decent , but her last win came in a sales' race - not a Gr race - which may not have been that strong ( the second is a maiden and was beaten out of sight at Newmarket last weekend in what looked a decent race) and she has already had one or two reversals elsewhere ,which should give some kind of guide to her overall ability level .

I can't wait to see Rip Van Winkle go in the Classic , though.

statik27
10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Nice group coming over. If Mastercraftsman does run in the dirt mile, that means 2 things. 1) He will destroy the field and 2) O'Brien thinks Rip is close to a lock for the Classic

I know Beethoven took his last, but I think Alfred is much much better.

I don't recall the other 2 juvies. What do you know about them?

Methinks O'Brien is getting ahead of himself if he thinks Rip is a lock. Looking at the horses pedigree, I don't really see anything to suggest he'll relish the syth. Other then the Nureyev on the dam side, who has produced good studs in California such as Unusual Heat, Rio Verde, Atticus and Skimming.

Don't forget the one, two finishers in last years BC classic were both by American based stallions Kingmambo and Elusive Quality and fit the mold of a synthetic horse.