PDA

View Full Version : Iowa #1 by the BCS Computers?

CBedo
10-25-2009, 11:33 PM
I realize that the computer rankings will change each week as teams play out their schedules, but can someone explain to me how Iowa can be ranked number one by the computers right now?

dav4463
10-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Undefeated, playing in an overrated conference. I'm hoping Boise, Cincinnati and TCU end up as the only undefeated teams. That would really screw up the rankings!

cj
10-26-2009, 10:52 PM
I personally think TCU is very, very good. Boise handily beat Oregon, so I guess we'll see how they do the rest of the year. I haven't seen enough of Cincy to have a real opinion on them.

Whatever it takes to make the BCS look the worst, that is what I'm supporting.

CBedo
10-26-2009, 11:06 PM
I personally think TCU is very, very good. Boise handily beat Oregon, so I guess we'll see how they do the rest of the year. I haven't seen enough of Cincy to have a real opinion on them.

Whatever it takes to make the BCS look the worst, that is what I'm supporting.I'm obviously biased wanting Texas to make the Championship, but I agree that a Cincinnati TCU Boise top 3 would be great to make the BCS look bad (or worse than it actually does now).

I also think TCU is a pretty damn good football team. How about an old school Southwest Conf champtionship: Texas - TCU!

I just don't understand how based on what has happened to date (no future consideration) that Iowa can be ranked #1 by most of the computers.

cj
10-26-2009, 11:07 PM
It is the same computer that puts Ohio State too high every year.

BetHorses!
10-27-2009, 03:08 PM
on a neutral Iowa would be a dog to TCU, Cinci and Boise

rrbauer
10-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Clearly the computers did not watch the Iowa - Mich St game.

price
11-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I am really impressed with the NON-CONF schedule of Texas.

BlueShoe
11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
The Hawkeyes had to rally from a two touchdown deficit to beat a bad Indiana team.Boise State have become huge Oregon fans,and after the way the Ducks blasted USC they should be very happy.Every year at least one school gets shafted by the BCS matchups,and this year it looks like BS turn,even if they win out impressively.

CBedo
11-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I am really impressed with the NON-CONF schedule of Texas.While Texas non-conf might be the worst of the bunch, I think it is splitting hairs. Look at all the undefeated team's non-conf schedules. They are all pretty pathetic.

FLORIDA
Charlestown Southern
Troy
FIU
Florida St.

ALABAMA
Virginia Tech
FIU
North Texas
Chattanooga

TEXAS
Louisiana Monroe
Wyoming
UTEP
UCF

IOWA
Northern Iowa
Iowa State
Arizona
Arkansas State

CINCINNATI
Southeast Missouri State
Oregon State
Fresno State
Miami OH
Illinois

TCU
Virgina
Texas State
Clemson
Southern Methodist

BOISE ST
Oregon
Miami OH
Bowling Green
Cal-Davis
Tulsa

price
11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
While Texas non-conf might be the worst of the bunch, I think it is splitting hairs. Look at all the undefeated team's non-conf schedules. They are all pretty pathetic.

FLORIDA
Charlestown Southern
Troy
FIU
Florida St.

ALABAMA
Virginia Tech
FIU
North Texas
Chattanooga

TEXAS
Louisiana Monroe
Wyoming
UTEP
UCF

IOWA
Northern Iowa
Iowa State
Arizona
Arkansas State

CINCINNATI
Southeast Missouri State
Oregon State
Fresno State
Miami OH
Illinois

TCU
Virgina
Texas State
Clemson
Southern Methodist

BOISE ST
Oregon
Miami OH
Bowling Green
Cal-Davis
Tulsa

I don't think it's close. Remember that the schedules are made years in advance. If you look at the relative size of the program I would say all the schools you listed scheduled at least one game that would have been looked at as challenging when it was scheduled. Texas doesnt meet that requirement. Pathetic for a "big time" program.

CBedo
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't think it's close. Remember that the schedules are made years in advance. If you look at the relative size of the program I would say all the schools you listed scheduled at least one game that would have been looked at as challenging when it was scheduled. Texas doesnt meet that requirement. Pathetic for a "big time" program.Texas had Utah and Arkansas on the schedule for this year and both pulled out. I have no idea why Utah did, but Arkansas did because they were given the opportunity to play Texas A&M in the new Cowboy Stadium and didn't want to play two Big 12 schools in one year supposedly. Wyoming was a last minute fill in. So, if they don't pull out last minute, Texas has a better non-conf schedule than the others, not worse. That's not their fault.

cj
11-02-2009, 05:40 PM
It really isn't fair to knock the smaller schools about the non conference schedule. The big schools won't play them when they reach a certain level of success.

You think if Florida or Texas wanted to drop a patsy and called up TCU they wouldn't accept? Many of the big schools are scared to death of a non conference loss, when in reality if you can't beat those teams you aren't winning the national title anyway in my opinion.

Valuist
11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Iowa is a fraud. How do get a call right, then f-k it up after the replay? I think we take for granted the level of officiating in the NFL. College is brutal.

Iowa is the team that needed to block two field goals in the closing seconds to beat Div-1AA Northern Iowa earlier in the season.

Cubbymac26
11-03-2009, 03:36 AM
on a neutral Iowa would be a dog to TCU, Cinci and Boise

Iowa would be -2.5 to tcu

Cincy -3 Iowa

Boise 3 Iowa

In a few weeks ohio st -4 Iowa

And for the record Stanford blows out Oregon +5 Saturday that will get totally lost in the shuffle with the breeders cup in one of those 38-10 games that blend rite in....Iowa is not bad just ranked to high

BetHorses!
11-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Iowa would be -2.5 to tcu

Cincy -3 Iowa

Boise 3 Iowa

In a few weeks ohio st -4 Iowa

And for the record Stanford blows out Oregon +5 Saturday that will get totally lost in the shuffle with the breeders cup in one of those 38-10 games that blend rite in....Iowa is not bad just ranked to high

ok, so you are not high on TCU. I think TCU is the best of this group. Iowa is severely overrated.

BlueShoe
11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
And for the record Stanford blows out Oregon +5 Saturday that will get totally lost in the shuffle with the breeders cup in one of those 38-10 games that blend rite in.
Interesting in that the Ducks are only 5 point faves.They surely will have a letdown after blasting USC,and the bookies seem to see it that way.Stanford is not that bad a team and is improved from last year.Expect Oregon to sputter a bit but win the game,although they might not cover.

Cubbymac26
11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Interesting in that the Ducks are only 5 point faves.They surely will have a letdown after blasting USC,and the bookies seem to see it that way.Stanford is not that bad a team and is improved from last year.Expect Oregon to sputter a bit but win the game,although they might not cover.

Stanford is a scoring machine.. Oregon is gonna be flat as a pancake which is a gaurentee...

Stanford caught my eye when I was in vegas week 2 Stanford played a 12 pm game vs wake forest and they had a big early lead but lost late.. Any team that can fly cross country in earlytime zone change Is legit...

If Oregon beats Stanford by 5 I'll write a one page post on how morons like me should be banned from posting because of not making any sense and filling threads with nonsense hahahaha

cj
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
You are vastly underrating TCU in my opinion. They absolutely crushed BYU as the visitor, a BYU team that was right with OU with Sam Bradford, and beat them without him.

Cubbymac26
11-03-2009, 01:37 PM
You are vastly underrating TCU in my opinion. They absolutely crushed BYU as the visitor, a BYU team that was right with OU with Sam Bradford, and beat them without him.

I wouldn't say I'm underestimating tcu cuz they beat byu let's not forget fla st put up 55 at byu I'm just saying tcu isn't top 10 material..

I think ga tech is causing fits with these wishbone formations but they will get exposed other than that I LOL hearing people say that ok st was Texas last hard opponet

Last time I checked A&m always gives them fits on black Friday

Drifting off topic sorry!!......

rastajenk
11-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm smelling a classic SI cover jinx in action...Iowa QB is out, Northwestern defense is stout. Still time for an Iowa comeback, but the Jinx is strong. :jump:

dav4463
11-07-2009, 03:37 PM
One step closer to TCU vs. Boise St. for the National Championship!

cj
11-08-2009, 02:13 PM
It was good to see the SEC officials hold form and ensure an Alabama / Florida title game. It is one thing for an on field official to miss a play, but how do you do it with replay and no time constraint?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-secrefs110709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

rastajenk
11-09-2009, 06:39 AM
I was going to mention that, and I'm glad someone did. That happened exactly when Quality Road was going nuts in the gate and they began backing some horses out. I flipped over to check the score and saw an obvious INT that wasn't called, and the review "confirmed" the call on the field. Spouse yelled at me to get back to the race, so I never did know the score or the context. Clearly (now) it could have been a game changer. I wonder if this crew will get a week off, too. But you can't go back and change it, so the SEC's place in the Big Game is secured. :ThmbDown:

hazzardm
11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I realize that the computer rankings will change each week as teams play out their schedules, but can someone explain to me how Iowa can be ranked number one by the computers right now?

Must be a Mac :lol:

rrbauer
11-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I was going to mention that, and I'm glad someone did. That happened exactly when Quality Road was going nuts in the gate and they began backing some horses out.

A little OT here but the owner of Quality Road says that his horse is not a rogue or bad actor. He said that it's just that sometimes the horse gets a little upset. He neglected to mention that the horse's upset moments seem to occur everytime it's being loaded into a gate.

ezrabrooks
11-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Stanford is a scoring machine.. Oregon is gonna be flat as a pancake which is a gaurentee...

Stanford caught my eye when I was in vegas week 2 Stanford played a 12 pm game vs wake forest and they had a big early lead but lost late.. Any team that can fly cross country in earlytime zone change Is legit...

If Oregon beats Stanford by 5 I'll write a one page post on how morons like me should be banned from posting because of not making any sense and filling threads with nonsense hahahaha

Cub, before the OR game, I thought you were nuts...after, just lucky...After USC...I tip my hat to you...You had the Cardinal nailed.