PDA

View Full Version : Substitute Announcer, Race (1) at Oak Tree

toetoe
10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
He sounded like Ehrlich, the Cal Expo guy, though it's too far from Sacramento on a work day.

Whoever it was made a quite cruel comment, saying one horse was so far back, it was "like he's got Kirstie Alley on his back." Thank God she's a public figure (sorry :blush: ) --- I don't feel so bad for laughing like mad.

DarrenClarke
10-24-2009, 07:59 PM
It was Rick Reilly of ESPN/SI. This will be on the breeders cup telecast.

craigbraddick
10-24-2009, 09:12 PM
This does racecalling no favors. There are callers out there who work hard and would appreciate the chance to call a race at a bigger track to help them move up the ladder.

Crap like this is belittling and sleazy.

Craig.

juanepstein
10-24-2009, 09:36 PM
i was entered in a piggy back race with kirstie alley.

hes a %100 correct

Donnie
10-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Wow. And I should bet my money there? Raising the takeout and putting comedians behind the mike....?? Guess that's what we get for our money.

Imriledup
10-24-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm surprised Marv Albert wasnt' there to call race 2.

Zman179
10-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Leave the jokes to Larry Lederman, at least he does it with taste.

Joey D
10-24-2009, 10:05 PM
This does racecalling no favors. There are callers out there who work hard and would appreciate the chance to call a race at a bigger track to help them move up the ladder.

Craig.

I agree wholeheartedly, Craig. That was terrible. I know it's hard to do a race live like that, but that guy completely butchered it. And that remark at the end about testing the horse who won. What was that?

Wow..such a beautiful racetrack and to watch what is happening there just makes me sad.

Tom
10-24-2009, 11:23 PM
i was entered in a piggy back race with kirstie alley.

hes a %100 correct

Who was riding? :eek:

I heard that call - it was FAR better than anything I heard out of Churchill all year.:bang:

Show Me the Wire
10-25-2009, 12:02 AM
A program of guest announcers leading up to the B.C. It is to make all the Trevor bashers appreciate him more. ;)

Really how difficult can it be to call a race? I believe it is plain and simple propoganda to make us think announcers have a difficult job. :D

Now singing take me out to the ballgame as a guest singer at Wrigley Field is really, really dificult, I mean singing it well, like Ozzy Osbourne :lol:

jballscalls
10-25-2009, 12:21 AM
I like guest announcers when they are fun, i thought Bobby Flay was lots of fun to listen to. The guy today was trying to be funny and just wasn't. We had a local portland disc jockey that wanted to do it, it was fun for his listeners to hear him butcher the call and everyone had fun.

but i don't think it's a disservice to announcers at all. if you want to go call a race at Santa anita, go ask Trevor, i'm sure he'd let ya call one

Fingal
10-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Lighten up, it was just an one time stunt for ESPN. And the comment Riley made at the end " Somebody test that horse ! " .....doesn't every winner have a post race medication test anyway ? :confused:

v j stauffer
10-25-2009, 12:54 AM

Craig.

Lame post.

Marlin
10-25-2009, 01:07 AM
Lame post.Great post.

Tom
10-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Great post.

OK post.

Warren Henry
10-25-2009, 01:57 AM
OK post.
MostPost :D

Bochall
10-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Reilly is generally a funny guy, but I dont know what to make of his call and the 'test' comment. Reminds me of a Simpsons episode with a horse named Chock Full 'O Drugs who was running on a banned substance: Churchill Downers...funny...sorta.

bigmack
10-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Lame post.
Tough to decipher your take with two words.

This guy is a nobody to most folk. A celeb caller? Come on.

He was less than funny and brought nothing except for his own self import and a cloud of absurd over a contest that meant something to some/many.

Break out the party hats, fire up the blender and have a Margarita. Let him call a Dachshund race at a backyard BBQ and keep this garbage away from that booth.

Imriledup
10-25-2009, 02:59 AM
Great post.

Markie Post

http://www.nndb.com/people/102/000025027/markie.jpg

juanepstein
10-25-2009, 03:17 AM
a kirstie alley post

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/06/KIRSTIE-ALLEY.jpg

rrpic6
10-25-2009, 03:28 AM
He sounded like Ehrlich, the Cal Expo guy, though it's too far from Sacramento on a work day.

Whoever it was made a quite cruel comment, saying one horse was so far back, it was "like he's got Kirstie Alley on his back." Thank God she's a public figure (sorry :blush: ) --- I don't feel so bad for laughing like mad.

If making fun of overweight people is now kosher, he should of picked some jerk, not a sweet girl like Kirstie....I'm thinkin Limbaugh.

RR

statepierback
10-25-2009, 03:56 AM
Post TIME!@

craigbraddick
10-25-2009, 04:34 AM
OK, guys, I was wrong. If Vic says it was a lame post - it was a lame post. he has better judgment and more experience than I.

Please accept my apologies.

Craig.

craigbraddick
10-25-2009, 05:30 AM
A further thought...

I don't see "celebrities" guest calling a race when I watch racing from the UK, Australia, New Zealand or Hong Kong. I just don't see how it adds any value to their product by doing that in the USA.

Why not give a kid who wants to be a racecaller a chance to call a race if you are going to have a guest racecaller? I have invited a couple of kids who have been practicing their calls to visit and call a race at Arapahoe Park next year. I daresay they will get more out of it than a celebrity guest caller would.

Craig.

DarnThatAlarm
10-25-2009, 06:21 AM
I'll tell you why you don't give a kid a free pass at announcing races. This happened to a good friend of mine. Once the kid has a race or two under his belt, he runs to the next opening and offers to announce for next to nothing to satisfy his ego, thereby cheapening an announcer's worth. Then he'll run to the message boards and sing praises of himself under made up troll names. Then he'll take cheap shots at his fellow announcers. When he gets busted, he'll start slanderous lies and try to ruin the reputation of his colleagues. People know who this chap is.

Zman179
10-25-2009, 07:27 AM
OK, guys, I was wrong. If Vic says it was a lame post - it was a lame post. he has better judgment and more experience than I.

Please accept my apologies.

Craig.

What the hell are you apologizing for?!? You're entitled to your opinion, Vic's entitled to his.

jballscalls
10-25-2009, 10:14 AM
I'll tell you why you don't give a kid a free pass at announcing races. This happened to a good friend of mine. Once the kid has a race or two under his belt, he runs to the next opening and offers to announce for next to nothing to satisfy his ego, thereby cheapening an announcer's worth. Then he'll run to the message boards and sing praises of himself under made up troll names. Then he'll take cheap shots at his fellow announcers. When he gets busted, he'll start slanderous lies and try to ruin the reputation of his colleagues. People know who this chap is.

random question Darnthatalarm. i noticed you've only posted 6 times in over a year, and 4 of the 6 posts have to do with announcers, are you actually an announcer just posting under an anonymous name? We saw this over at Trackchampion so I was just curious.

sorry about what happened to your friend, nothing worse than guys who take cheap shots at our fellow colleagues.

BlueShoe
10-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Leave the jokes to Larry Lederman, at least he does it with taste.
Actually,leave the jokes to a pro like Frank Mirahmadi,who does them tastefully without offending anyone.The last good,funny guest announcer that I can recall was Walter Matthau calling a race at Santa Anita,and that had to be at least 25 years ago,perhaps even 30.

Peter Berry
10-25-2009, 11:07 AM
At least he didn't drop the F word like Vic's fill-in announcer.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-25-2009, 11:25 AM
A further thought...

I don't see "celebrities" guest calling a race when I watch racing from the UK, Australia, New Zealand or Hong Kong. I just don't see how it adds any value to their product by doing that in the USA.Craig.

I'm pretty sure the Horse Racing Industries in those lands are doing very well, while racing in the U.S. is struggling and more open to promotions with media people to get some exposure and the call of at least that race onto that medias outlets airwaves, and hopefully expose the sport to harder to reach fans. Hawthorne's 3rd race yesterday (Saturday) was guest-called by a woman from the local NBC affiliate in Chicago. I didn't have the TV on last night, so I missed if they featured her call on the late evening newscast or some other TV local interest piece. And NBC-5 Chicago got some promotion on-track from this as well. Come to think of it, they were celebrating 100 years of the Carey Family owning Hawthorne, so they probably were doing a piece on Hawthorne. Seems like good P.R. to me.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Racing Post.

Tom
10-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Compost.

Peter Berry
10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Which celebrities would you all like to hear call a race?

I'd go with Leonard Cohen, Kim Shattuck and Bryan Ferry.

Pace Cap'n
10-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Markie Post

http://www.nndb.com/people/102/000025027/markie.jpg

+1

castaway01
10-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Everything wrong in racing and a guest announcer at Santa Anita is all people have to whine about?

jballscalls
10-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Everything wrong in racing and a guest announcer at Santa Anita is all people have to whine about?

honestly it was a refreshing change of pace as opposed to another thread about drugs, takeout, synthetics and cheating trainers.

toetoe
10-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Lame post.

Lame review. However, it was pithy, for which I thank you.

toetoe
10-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Then he'll run to the message boards and sing praises of himself under made up troll names. Then he'll take cheap shots at his fellow announcers. When he gets busted, he'll start slanderous lies and try to ruin the reputation of his colleagues. People know who this chap is.

They have many announcer clones in pods, stored in Lucky Baldwin's old garage.

P.S. Don't tell a soul.

toetoe
10-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Fran Drescher, Gilbert Gottfried, the great Nancy Walker and Dub Taylor.

Doodles Weaver has been scratched on advice of the Drug Czar, having experience in the famous Feitlebaum case.

Hey, how about Nicholas Campbell ?

toetoe
10-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Actually, I hereby complain about a certain 206-time poster (that total represents 206 too many, maybe).

Anxiously awaiting your next grammatically challenged private message, dear lady.

Cast off, Melvin. :jump:

toetoe
10-25-2009, 07:07 PM
It was Rick Reilly of ESPN/SI. This will be on the breeders cup telecast.

Thanks, Darren. Two very disappointing revelations.

Rick Reilly, the Sports Illustrated "journalist" that did the hit piece on Barry Bonds (and God knows whom else) ? That Rick Reilly ?

ESPN, those stalwart arbiters of good taste, the people that make Ken Rudulph look all professional 'n' $h!t, are involved ? I'm actually glad that racing has not taken advantage of network television --- just look at television sports today. The networks are worse than TVG, if that's even possible.

Another candidate: Giants and network announcer John Miller.

chickenhead
10-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Ozzie Osbourne, Michael Buffer, Desmond Tutu

falconridge
10-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Rita Moreno (née Rita Dolores Alverio) as Googie Gomez (from Terrence McNally’s The Ritz) or Bill Dana (né William Szathmary) as José Jiménez.

Rita's Googie may be the greatest comic tour de force in Broadway history (vide infra, two clips).

"Eb'rytheen's conn'n ohp RRROHSS-ez for me ahn for JOO!"

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/392329137_28fcaff34a.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pjGcNFZzNc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBr2mR91RbQ&feature=related

ezrabrooks
10-25-2009, 08:03 PM
They are off......"My name...Jose Jimenez"... Yeah, Bill Dana, in character, would be funny.

juanepstein
10-25-2009, 08:47 PM

carl or christopher
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10063/Fail-carl.jpg

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/celeb/top_100/christopher_walken.jpg

bigmack
10-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Jackie Mason - '94 Travers.

But there is a shmendrik, a nudnick who is causing Holy Bull to kvetch. Concern is nebbishly schlepping on the outside.

Holy Bull, filled with chutzpah, without a glitch, showing all his mishpocha, extends through the schmutz to win. Oy Vey, I'm verklempt.

Take it away, Howard Cosell.

6aJ63JhvpTA

macdiarmida
10-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Steven Wright?

MickJ26
10-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Funniest post I've seen in forever, Bigmack.
Oy, what a mensch that Holy Bull.

v j stauffer
10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Saturday Evening Post.

v j stauffer
10-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Post Toasties

Quagmire
10-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Wally Post

Tom
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Peter Berry

Captain Kirk
Homer Simpson
Ross the Intern
Porky Pig
Andrew Dice Clay

Post no bills

illinoisbred
10-26-2009, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=Peter Berry]Which celebrities would you all like to hear call a race?
Floyd R Turbo-American.

toetoe
10-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Desmond Tutu

:lol: .

Okay, Marcel Marceau and a coupla Bond villain wannabes: Odd Job and Jaws.

Also, the guy that played Thing on the Addams Family.

Not positive, but I think the Berkeley, Ca. Y.M.C.A. had an A.S.L. interpreter for Thing's lines when he was in camera. Real hands-on town, Berkeley.

toetoe
10-26-2009, 02:41 PM
My favorite Mason. A real standup guy. :jump: . Thanks, bigmack.

I must say, however, that Herr Keith Ubermensch made me laugh harder without even trying. :D .

A. Pineda
10-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Victor Borge

and another vote for Bill Dana's Jose Jimeniz

toetoe
10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
A. Pineda,

So you're ... like ... (*gulp*) ... a-live ?!? A-A-A-A-A-A-A-AHHHHHH !!!!!

Hey Scoob !!!! Let's get ... like ... outta here !!!

Tom
10-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Marcel.......:lol:

HuggingTheRail
10-26-2009, 10:48 PM

Roseanne Barr...she could scratch her crotch...and then scratch half the field in the 6th

CBedo
10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
How about the guy from the old FedEx commercials who talked real fast. You'd get lots of info in a two minute race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK5ZjtpO-M

v j stauffer
10-27-2009, 02:37 AM
How about the public defender from My Cousin Vinny?