PDA

View Full Version : Manzi & Bartlett in bad spill at Freehold

Vinman
10-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Both drivers were the unlucky ones when Allamerican Idol went on a bad ugly break turning for home in Saturday's 6th race.

I was told by a security guard at Favorites OTB restaurant in Woodbridge that Manzi didn't get up. He's had many injuries and is up in years so this is the very last last thing he needs at this point in his life.

Anyone hear anything about the condition of either driver?

Pacingguy
10-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Cat and Jason went to the hospital according to this release. I hope Cat retires. Not that he is uncapable of driving but he has been tempting fate; I would hate him to try one comeback to many.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/10-24-09/drivers-injured-freehold.html

Pacingguy
10-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Latest news has the doctors suspecting Cat may have a broken vertebrae of his lower back. Jason just sprained his ankle.

http://www.harnessracing.com/news/accidentmarsfreeholdfeature.html

Vinman
10-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Cat IS certainly at an age when he should seriously think about retiring. Billy Haughton might still be alive today at age 85 had he not gone down in that '86 spill at Yonkers at 62. I think Cat's around 60.

I found an article about Cat's recovery from his last accident about a year ago when he was out about 6 weeks. He said all he does besides drive is do crossword puzzles. So he's apparently one of those guys who has nothing to retire to. He'll no doubt go out with his boots on.....and the guy is still at the top of his game, having won 4 consecutive races at Freehold on Saturday just prior to the spill in race 6.

Let's hope he has a full recovery.

Vinman

badcompany
10-26-2009, 02:30 AM
Too bad for Cat. I think he was rejuvenated by the big purses at Yonkers. He was driving very well, there.

I'm surprised Bartlett was even at Freehold, racing for peanuts. He must get bored on Saturday afternoons.

Pacingguy
10-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Cat IS certainly at an age when he should seriously think about retiring. Billy Haughton might still be alive today at age 85 had he not gone down in that '86 spill at Yonkers at 62. I think Cat's around 60.

I found an article about Cat's recovery from his last accident about a year ago when he was out about 6 weeks. He said all he does besides drive is do crossword puzzles. So he's apparently one of those guys who has nothing to retire to. He'll no doubt go out with his boots on.....and the guy is still at the top of his game, having won 4 consecutive races at Freehold on Saturday just prior to the spill in race 6.

Let's hope he has a full recovery.

Vinman

I was there that fatefull night at Yonkers. Billy had no chance, they were in tight and the horse went down right in front of him without warning. In Billy's case, there was no chance to avoid the spill. He was done in by the the old fashioned helmets which provided little protection. His death was what spurred on the development of the new helmets.

Personally, as much as I would like to see him retire, I don't think we will ever see Cat retire. My reasoning for wanting him to retire is he has been in many bad wrecks over time and I would hate him to press his luck once to many. However, that is his choice.

Cubbymac26
11-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Both drivers were the unlucky ones when Allamerican Idol went on a bad ugly break turning for home in Saturday's 6th race.

I was told by a security guard at Favorites OTB restaurant in Woodbridge that Manzi didn't get up. He's had many injuries and is up in years so this is the very last last thing he needs at this point in his life.

Anyone hear anything about the condition of either driver?

For starters don't listen to what any security guard says at otb...there all a bunch of know it alls that think there more then security guards...

How would any gaurs there no what happened to cat.. Does fhld make a direct call to Woodbridge saying this

I remember when fords first opened getting yelled at cuz I was the only person that was yelling so I stood out.. But it was ok when the whole place erupts when the hit the lane at aqu or the m...

Oh it's also nice being live for the pool at cal expo only to have a guard shut the tv off when there turning for home...

Other then Anthony and the manager glen who are great people and a pleasure to talk to the other staff is really unproffessional at times

Oh about the spill....it seems all are ok cat at Bartlett were in action lady nite
Sorry about the rant I was waitng to see a fords comment

Hanover1
11-09-2009, 12:29 AM
I was there that fatefull night at Yonkers. Billy had no chance, they were in tight and the horse went down right in front of him without warning. In Billy's case, there was no chance to avoid the spill. He was done in by the the old fashioned helmets which provided little protection. His death was what spurred on the development of the new helmets.

Personally, as much as I would like to see him retire, I don't think we will ever see Cat retire. My reasoning for wanting him to retire is he has been in many bad wrecks over time and I would hate him to press his luck once to many. However, that is his choice.
Just a quick fact check, nothing personal. When John Simpson Jr went down at the Meadows with sister to Davidia Hanover (Desdemona Hanover), I want to say 1983, he lay in a coma for several days, and was lucky to survive. This accident spurred the new helmet requirements. I was a part of that team at the time. He seldom drove after that.

badcompany
11-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Just a quick fact check, nothing personal. When John Simpson Jr went down at the Meadows with sister to Davidia Hanover (Desdemona Hanover), I want to say 1983, he lay in a coma for several days, and was lucky to survive. This accident spurred the new helmet requirements. I was a part of that team at the time. He seldom drove after that.

I was pretty young at the time, but, I remember Campbell and O'Donnell initially wearing the motorcycle style helmets at Freehold. I forget what happened to instigate this, but I know it was the result of a bad spill.