PDA

View Full Version : Help???

off'nclear
10-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Can't think of where this should really go...if not here, feel free to move it.

I've managed to lose my installation disc for HP Deskjet 825C and hope that one of you keep everything forever and would be willing to sell same. I need it for an old computer using Windows 98. The printer worked fine at the time the older computer died.

Thanks

qvbelmont
10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Just go to the hp website and follow their directions for downloading drivers. That night help. good-luck.

off'nclear
10-24-2009, 01:47 PM
H.P stopped supporting that OS in 2006 (I think). Earliest drivers available are for XP.

Thanks.

headhawg
10-24-2009, 02:49 PM
According to HP's site, the driver that comes with Win 98 is sufficient. Try these steps:

HP Deskjet and Professional Series Printers - Finding and Installing Drivers for Windows (R) 98 or Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

1. Click Start on the Windows taskbar, click Settings , and then click Printers.
2. Double-click Add Printer.
3. Click Next.
4. Click Local Printer, and then click Next.
5. Click HP from the Manufacturer List.
6. Click the printer model from the Printer list, and then click Next .
7. Click Port (usually LPT1), and then click Next.
8. Click Yes if you want to make this printer your default printer. Click No if you do not want to make this printer your default printer. Click Next to continue.
9. Click Yes to print a test page, and then click Finish.
10. If you are prompted to provide a Windows disk, insert the appropriate disk and follow the instructions on the screen.
11. If asked for a Windows disk, insert the appropriate disk, click OK and follow the instructions on the screen.
NOTE: If prompted for a disk, use the Windows CD or the recovery CD that came with the computer. If you do not have the CD, see the section "If the Windows or recover disk is not available".
12. When the driver has been installed, the printer is listed in the Printers window. To open the Printers window, click Start on the Windows task bar, click Settings , and then click Printers.
13. Close the Printers window and print a document to test the installation.

off'nclear
10-24-2009, 04:00 PM
By now, everyone knows I'm the dimmest bulb.

I have disc, IBM Aptivia, which has Recovery and Diagnostics. If I use any part, will I be wiping everything out and starting from scratch? I don't see why this disc would have the particular model on it now when it doesn't show up in the current list. Guessing from the listed models, this particular printer is considerably newer than the computer.

Thanks.

off'nclear
10-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Another question. If I can get the primarily non-functioning computer to light up, get to the printer section, copy that info onto a CD...would that be sufficient when put into this other compter?

headhawg
10-24-2009, 05:37 PM
...would that be sufficient when put into this other compter?This "other" computer is Win 98?

off'nclear
10-24-2009, 05:55 PM
yes

headhawg
10-24-2009, 06:03 PM
According to HP the above steps that I listed should have worked. But if I am understanding correctly the printer does not show up in the list? Try this link (http://download.cnet.com/hp-deskjet-825c-series/3000-2116_4-133058.html). Good luck.

off'nclear
10-24-2009, 09:21 PM
If 98 doesn't recognize this download, and it doesn't work, I can just uninstall? Obviously, I don't know the difference between 2000 and 98. Of course, I didn't understand the workings of 3.1, either.

I just remember Microsoft's big promise that it would ALWAYS read the older programs. (is that practice for beciming politicians? You know, their lips are moving so you know it's not the truth.) >:)

off'nclear
10-24-2009, 09:23 PM
OH! Somehow I got a real smiley face when I did the old symbols! Wow!

off'nclear
11-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Forgive my tardiness in reply...hubby decided he was tired of being the one practically living at the Drs' so made apppointment for my checkup. New Dr. very through and sends me for many tests specifically for the over-the-hill gang. Went in healthy as a horse, came out in damned bad shape. More drs. to see and suddenly have medications. GOOFY!

Thank you for the help!