PDA

View Full Version : DRF Archives....? What

turfbar
10-24-2009, 10:22 AM
DRF archives ............. they don't exist. Let"s say this for the record I buy DRF almost every day, have no fight with DRF's price structure, I accept it because I like to bet horses almost on a daily routine. I use the paper afterwards (races concluded), to see where I "went wrong" and hopefully learn

something, or too see something I missed in handicapping a race. Ok
too make a long story short in researching old results I wanted to see if I could get the copy of an old form dated Aug.25 2006 . I called DRF to see if I could download a copy of the form for that day on my computer ,sorry sir we don't have archives of that sort. R U F.......... kidding me .The DRF doesn't have copies of their esteemed product ,if I wanted to see the form for the day Secretariat won the Derby sorry no go. I find that crazy and cannot figure that one out.

Turfbar

Cratos
10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
DRF archives ............. they don't exist. Let"s say this for the record I buy DRF almost every day, have no fight with DRF's price structure, I accept it because I like to bet horses almost on a daily routine. I use the paper afterwards (races concluded), to see where I "went wrong" and hopefully learn

something, or too see something I missed in handicapping a race. Ok
too make a long story short in researching old results I wanted to see if I could get the copy of an old form dated Aug.25 2006 . I called DRF to see if I could download a copy of the form for that day on my computer ,sorry sir we don't have archives of that sort. R U F.......... kidding me .The DRF doesn't have copies of their esteemed product ,if I wanted to see the form for the day Secretariat won the Derby sorry no go. I find that crazy and cannot figure that one out.

Turfbar
I am not sure what you are asking the DRF for, but you can get old PPs and charts from DRF.

TurfRuler
10-24-2009, 12:19 PM
DRF archives ............. they don't exist.Turfbar

Something does exist. I got this from somewhere or other and I can't cite from who, but check this out.

Daily Racing Form online archive

The Daily Racing Form online archive. The University of Kentucky has partnered with Keeneland to preserve, protect, and provide access to historic issues of the Daily Racing Form. The archive now includes 71,000 pages and 265,000 articles.

http://bit.ly/Z6C68

A real treasure.

Here’s another link: http://kdl.kyvl.org/drf/

takeout
10-24-2009, 03:33 PM
If they’ve got them I must be overlooking it somehow on their site map.

Getting older versions of PP's can be a problem. BRIS has them but the last time I looked they still had that irksome $20 minimum. :bang:

turfbar
10-25-2009, 06:07 AM
I thought I was clear ,I guess not, I wanted the PP's not articles and pictures.

I deal with POST Time Daily and they have archived PP's ,but theres' is a bit different than DRF. I figured if PTD, had archived PP's so would DRF and I am a little surprised they don't.

Turfbar

Pace Cap'n
10-25-2009, 07:09 AM
I had no trouble pullling up Secretariat's Belmont PP's from TurfRuler's link above...

http://bit.ly/Z6C68

On the left, click on "1970s"
On the left, click on "1973"
On the calendar for June, click "June 9"
Scroll down to "page 48", click "8th Belmont Park [past performances]"

turfbar
10-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks Pace Cap"n, not EXACTLY what I meant, but nonetheless very cool

thanks

Turfbar

takeout
10-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Now that you mention it I think that was one of the original deal breakers for me. Even for my minor needs not being able to fill in the occasional gap in info drives me nuts. It is odd that they don’t have them.

bobbyt62
10-29-2009, 04:37 AM
DRF sells back copies for cover price for 1(one) year and sometimes a bit more. if you want an issue from 2007, it's the same as 1939--not available. to be realistic, i don't think they sell a lot of back copies ( i have though) and they would occupy a lot of space if they were sitting there waiting for someone to need , what, the tuesday edition from a december 7 years ago ? i can understand keeping them for only appx 12 months. the archive mentioned is a historical archive, which at this time mostly consists of forms (including editorial content) from "triple crown time"----april,may, and june. they are trying to to put a copy of EACH PAGE of EACH FORM ever printed (there is only one collection like this, and it was donated to kee by drf a while ago) but it involves scanning some old fragile paper and not many people doing the work, i believe. up until a few years ago, i had all the forms i ever bought over my 30 years in the game, other than the first few. close to 10,000, with some duplicates of dates with different track lineups. that took up A LOT OF SPACE, so i know why they can't keep them forever. i burned about 8,000 of them (nearly in tears, and very sentimental), i edited down to all the big race days and interesting and fun headlines, and my pretty decnt sized TC collection--all KD's back to 1960, scattered before that, most prk and bel back to 1960, even more scattered before. it's still a lot of space

turfbar
10-29-2009, 08:48 AM
I wasn't really speaking of the actual physical copy of the DRF.I was speaking of a data file that I could download.I deal with Post Time and I can get a copy of any race from the past. They must "store " the information somewhere and I'm surprised a mega giant like DRF doesn't have
files of past years racing forms.I can download todays AQU file today ,but in 3 months from now I can't? What do they do with the files "burn them".

Turfbar

delayjf
11-02-2009, 02:48 PM
You might contact the DRF is you are looking for PP data files.