PDA

View Full Version : Another Sign of the BC Demise

Java Gold@TFT
10-24-2009, 09:34 AM
I was in the car this morning listening to the local ESPN station (upstate NY) and the first commercial they played was for the Breeders Cup - not to listen on the ESPN feed or watch ESPN to see the races but to buy tickets on line. They are so desperate to fill the place that the BC group has actually purchased air time in NY two weeks before the event to coerce people to book a flight with less than the standard 30 day notice and fly to California. I can't remember any such ads in the past even when it was at Belmont or Monmouth which are both within driving distance.

Add that to Oak Tree's first week numbers and it's another sign of the Apocolypse.

gm10
10-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I was in the car this morning listening to the local ESPN station (upstate NY) and the first commercial they played was for the Breeders Cup - not to listen on the ESPN feed or watch ESPN to see the races but to buy tickets on line. They are so desperate to fill the place that the BC group has actually purchased air time in NY two weeks before the event to coerce people to book a flight with less than the standard 30 day notice and fly to California. I can't remember any such ads in the past even when it was at Belmont or Monmouth which are both within driving distance.

Add that to Oak Tree's first week numbers and it's another sign of the Apocolypse.

well they had lots of empty seeds in 2007/2008, so it's not a bad thing they are trying something, is it

joanied
10-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Makes ya wonder, though...my take is the low ticket purchases are just because it's at SA again...
I won't count it out until we see how it goes next year at Churchill...bet they get about sold out...especially is Rachel continues her streak and goes.

Still...it sucks!!

redshift1
10-24-2009, 03:07 PM

Attendance is down for all sporting venues coupled with the absence of the sports two super stars STS and RA what else would you expect.

The Hawk
10-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Attendance is down for all sporting venues coupled with the absence of the sports two super stars STS and RA what else would you expect.

I believe this to be nonsense. The industry loves to blame the economy. Meanwhile, I went to the BC at Gulfstream in the late 90's, and vowed never to return, but foolishly did just that in 2007 because Monmouth is so close for me. Once again, I vowed never to go back, but this time I mean it. Much as a victim of a beatdown by the owner of the bar would probably never return to the establishment, I will not return. The ticket prices are beyond ridiculous, and that was just the start, when you consider concessions and refreshments. There's also a smugness that used to be in place, before they got so desperate to sell seats they're almost begging.

Meanwhile, seats FOR SATURDAY ONLY range from $80 to $470. Yeah, must be the economy.

joanied
10-24-2009, 05:30 PM
$470.00:eek: :eek: :eek: where is those seats...on the track:D

I really think it boils down to it being at the same track again...how many local folks that went last year, would go again this year...not many...and most other folks are too far away...I would think...ya gotta be a dedicated race fan/handicapper to spend that kinda money to go...to SA again...to see the Pro Ride...again...and not having a star, except for Zenyatta...who can blame the folks for staying home...

The Bc guys better open their eyes...the writting is on the wall:bang:

GaryG
10-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Tickets and reserved seats used to be very reasonably priced. I was at SA in 1993 and it seems like a ticket and box seat was no more than $20. Two ball burners that year, Sardula/Phone Chatter and Paseana/Hwd Wildcat.

fmolf
10-24-2009, 07:37 PM
$470.00:eek: :eek: :eek: where is those seats...on the track:D

I really think it boils down to it being at the same track again...how many local folks that went last year, would go again this year...not many...and most other folks are too far away...I would think...ya gotta be a dedicated race fan/handicapper to spend that kinda money to go...to SA again...to see the Pro Ride...again...and not having a star, except for Zenyatta...who can blame the folks for staying home...

The Bc guys better open their eyes...the writting is on the wall:bang:
for that price i better be in the stewards tower!...Racing is doing what it does best raising prices so they get less business.....these guys need to take some economics classes!Throw in cal. higher takeout and it makes for a real good success story.

JustRalph
10-24-2009, 09:54 PM
There will be tons of fans buying 8 dollar beers at Yankee Stadium in the next few weeks..........Just keeping up with the jones............

The Hawk
10-24-2009, 10:01 PM
There will be tons of fans buying 8 dollar beers at Yankee Stadium in the next few weeks..........Just keeping up with the jones............

True. Well, kinda. The beers are now $10.

The problem is, this ain't baseball. Horse racing can't afford to alienate more fans. MLB, for the time being, can.