PDA

View Full Version : Andy Berg indicted

Bluto Blutarsky
10-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Thirty people allegedly involved with an offshore sports betting operation linked to the Gambino and Genovese crime families have been indicted in Queens, NY as reported by the Associated Press:

Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said the betting ring was handling a "staggering amount of money." It collected more than $567 million in a 28-month period and accepted wagers on many sports, including football, basketball and hockey, the authorities said. Richard A. Brown, the Queens district attorney, said in a statement that the investigation uncovered evidence the betting operation had links to the Gambino and Genovese crime families. He said the gambling operation generated an average of more than $20 million a month. The ring used a wire room in Panama to maintain gambling accounts, according to the indictment. The defendants were charged with enterprise corruption, money laundering, conspiracy and promoting gambling.
The indictment additionally charges that thirteen of the defendants worked as "agents/runners" – among them, Andrew Berg of Roslyn New York. The agents/runners were responsible for soliciting new bettors to the organization, maintaining existing bettor relationships and meeting with bettors to collect gambling losses and payout winnings.

Pace Cap'n
10-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Who be Andy Berg?

DJofSD
10-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Who be Andy Berg?
He's an apparent agent/runner.

Look here (http://www.gamblingiq.com/thirty-individuals-indicted-in-multi-million-dollar-off-shore-sports-bettinthirty-individuals-indicted-in-multi-million-dollar-off-shore-sports-betting-operationg-operation/) for more details along with names and addresses.

Bluto Blutarsky
10-24-2009, 11:43 AM
known in the horse racing world as Gumpster Stable

DJofSD
10-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Andy appears to be Gumpster Stable's. See: http://www.nybreds.com/press/other_press.html

Zman179
10-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Andy's down in the gumps.

Show Me the Wire
10-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Scott Lake trains for Gumpster Stables, LLC. Wonder if there is more to come?

tucker6
10-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Scott Lake trains for Gumpster Stables, LLC. Wonder if there is more to come?
casting aspersions like this are completely unfair. That's how I read your comment.

Show Me the Wire
10-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Many discussions have centered around Lake and his suspensions. There is precedent for race fixing charges relating to medicated horses.

Hmm a gambling operation limked to specific crime families in NY with a principle figure linked to horse racing. Sounds familiar. I beleive a former NY trainer was charged for his involvement in a similar factual situation.

Not casting aspersions but wondering if there is more to the story bassed on a past similar event.

I admit I could have been clearer about why I wondered if more will come from this story.

p.s. I have nothing against Lake I wish him all the best. With that said you never know how the zealous the feds will act

tucker6
10-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Many discussions have centered around Lake and his suspensions. There is precedent for race fixing charges relating to medicated horses.

Hmm a gambling operation limked to specific crime families in NY with a principle figure linked to horse racing. Sounds familiar. I beleive a former NY trainer was charged for his involvement in a similar factual situation.

Not casting aspersions but wondering if there is more to the story bassed on a past similar event.

I admit I could have been clearer about why I wondered if more will come from this story.

p.s. I have nothing against Lake I wish him all the best. With that said you never know how the zealous the feds will act
your surmising may certainly bear fruit at some point, as they feds won't run out of money with which to investigate. I just prefer not to name names at this point. Interesting comment about throwing races via medication. Hadn't really thought about that angle.

joanied
10-24-2009, 02:17 PM
your surmising may certainly bear fruit at some point, as they feds won't run out of money with which to investigate. I just prefer not to name names at this point. Interesting comment about throwing races via medication. Hadn't really thought about that angle.

The 'Wise Guys' have more angles that the world allows...

Show Me the Wire
10-24-2009, 02:41 PM

Only metnioned his name, because I beleive he is Gumpster's primary trainer and his past history of suspensions and not as an accusation.

BTW for the typo police, I know it should be "principal" figure and not principle.

toetoe
10-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Gambino

I recommend this term as a replacement for "racino." Nah, never liked "racino."

Bluto Blutarsky
10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Finger Lakes management ordered all of Andy's horses off the grounds by end of day-yesterday.

toetoe
10-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Who be Andy Berg?

Any relation to Stevedy Berg ?

Sincerely,
Longsuffering 49'ers Fan

fmolf
10-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Finger Lakes management ordered all of Andy's horses off the grounds by end of day-yesterday.Quite possible the other shoe is about to drop then?Wasn't Mr. Lake just in trouble with our venerable I.R.S.dept. lately? "Something is rotten in denmark"

Bluto Blutarsky
10-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I won't go there. My guess is they don't want an owner on the grounds who has been indicted as an associate in a multi-state/multi national gambling ring.