PDA

View Full Version : satellite question

HUSKER55
10-21-2009, 10:43 AM
does anyone know how to tell a legitimate satelite company from a company that just redirects a signal. A while back I was thinking of going satelite but decided I didn't know enough. Now a couple of my neighbors want to go satelite but every company they check out it always seems to redirect a signal to a long list of numbers.

Is there a difference? Does it matter?

the research begins

thanks

wilderness
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Perhaps it may help if you expand on what "type" of signal your referring to?

Television broadcast?
Internet provider?
Something else entirely?

There are many retail resellers in both the television and internet industries.

HUSKER55
10-21-2009, 03:59 PM
I guess what everyone is wanting to do is get the internet, tv and the whole package. Like I said, I decided I didn't know enough earlier and research begins.It may take awhile before I know which questions to ask

thanks for the reply.

Quagmire
10-21-2009, 04:13 PM
I guess what everyone is wanting to do is get the internet, tv and the whole package. Like I said, I decided I didn't know enough earlier and research begins.It may take awhile before I know which questions to ask

thanks for the reply.

I was stuck with satellite internet for several years. It was Hughes net, I believe it is now called Direc way. Its not much faster than dial up and they cap the amount of data you can download per day. Customer service was a joke as well. If it hasn't changed since I had a few years back I would not recommend it.

wilderness
10-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Direct Tv/Hughes offers the best internet provider. (requires purchase or lease of equipment, both of which are quite pricey).

The "Dish" internet provider is via "Wildblue" and is NOT of the same quality.

Both offer similar TV packages.

I'm not aware of either of these offering telephone service.

If you reside in a major metropolitan area, than you have no reason for either of the satellite providers. Either cable or phone providers are all offering combine packages.

The key issue for all these services is that costs are constantly changing. They offer temporary reductions, which require constant monitoring and/or bickering (even threatening and following through with changing providers) to obtain reasonable prices.

rrbauer
10-21-2009, 04:21 PM
I was stuck with satellite internet for several years. It was Hughes net, I believe it is now called Direc way. Its not much faster than dial up and they cap the amount of data you can download per day. Customer service was a joke as well. If it hasn't changed since I had a few years back I would not recommend it.

My brother-in-law had a satellite deal for Internet because he couldn't get broadband where he lived (outside of Atlanta). As soon as Bell South made bb (DSL) available in his area he dumped the satellite deal. Satellite was more expensive and download speeds weren't that fast.

wilderness
10-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Direct/Hughes has offered speeds which resemble download speeds comparable to maximum-cable-speeds for at least ten years, however they do offer a variety of speeds/prices with the higher speeds costing more.

wilderness
10-21-2009, 04:26 PM
In some rural areas there is also an internet (ISDN) in which you utilize two phone lines, each offering a 128k connection. With the equipment, which you must purchase, you have a download of 256kb (four times a dial-up modem of 56k).

HUSKER55
10-21-2009, 06:33 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFO

wilderness
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
BTW, after your reply I looked at Direct TV-Internet and they are using Wildblue as well.

That leaves Hughes for the speed internet.