PDA

View Full Version : Have you read these BCS Qualification rules?

CBedo
10-19-2009, 04:07 AM
For some unknown reason, I decided to take a a look at these. Reading these just makes want a playoff system even more.

I wonder if congress would get involved again if we got a Boise State Cincinnati championship game? :lol:

http://www.bcsfootball.org/cfb/story/10235282/How-are-teams-chosen-for-BCS-games?

Java Gold@TFT
10-19-2009, 06:39 AM
For some unknown reason, I decided to take a a look at these. Reading these just makes want a playoff system even more.

I wonder if congress would get involved again if we got a Boise State Cincinnati championship game? :lol:

http://www.bcsfootball.org/cfb/story/10235282/How-are-teams-chosen-for-BCS-games?
Last year the current President of the United States was asked if he could change one thing in the world of sports, what would he change? He said the BCS. Thought it was a bogus system and there needed to be a playoff. Maybe he will create one by executive order before January's bowl games get started. :D :bang:

OTM Al
10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
This is enough reason to hate it right here....

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

What a joke.

CBedo
10-19-2009, 01:56 PM
This is enough reason to hate it right here....

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

What a joke.That jumped out at me as well. I find it interesting that Notre Dame gets a different rule set than the non-BCS conferences.

OTM Al
10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Its a real joke that there is basically nothing that Boise St can do to get itself to the championship game. I could care less if they would get pounded when they get there, its just that they should have an equal chance as Michigan or Florida or any of the other big schools. They play the best schools they can, but can never have an SEC like schedule, because those teams would rather play a guaranteed home game against a team they can beat 76-0 than take a chance against a team like Boise St.

And here is Notre Dame who is getting rewarded for not being in a conference and thus not having to win that conference to get in. The one thing I respect about them is that they still play the academies as respect for the old relations with them. This is a quality tradition, but still it gives them regular weak sisters to beat up on. And yet the rules doubly reward them. Man I hate Notre Dame.....

Java Gold@TFT
10-19-2009, 03:38 PM
OTM Al, hate Notre Dame all you want but here is their prospective schedules for the next 5 years:

http://www.maplenet.net/~trowbridge/NDSched.htm

Sure, there aren't SEC schools but they do have games against some of the best in the Pac 10 , Big 12, Big East (mostly because of their basketball Big East affiliation), Big Ten plus the Army and Navy games and Boston College is listed a few times because they are one of the few remaining Catholic schools that play big name fotball and they are in the ACC now. They also usually play the Indiana teams anyway.

I don't see any "directional" state teams on their propsed schedules or ducks like scheduling Div-II teams. I think that for a team that doesn't have to have conference patsies on their schedule they do a decent job of getting viable football team on their schedule well in advance. Nobody knows what kind of team Wake Forest or Stanford will have 4 years from now but this is when schedules are built.

As long as ND isn't in a conference I have no problem with them being invited to a BCS game. Also that is just a BCS game and not the national championship game. Everyone knows the BCS is about money and no team generates more money than Notre Dame.

OTM Al
10-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Yes, that state school would be the alma mater...thus the deep hatred. Really deep hatred, especially when they laughed at us every year in football and then wouldn't dare set foot on the basketball court because there wasn't a direct route between South Bend and West Lafayette (there is now but they still won't play...).

Of course it's all about money and that is why the special rule, but they get the advantage that Boise St or Utah or Cincinnati does not get because they are treated like a big conference team. Why shouldn't USC or Florida or Texas, all big money teams, get the same deal? Instead, they must win their conference to get what Notre Dame is simply given.

I can't bring myself to hate any other team, Cowboys, Red Sox, you name it, but I so hate on ND football. If they ever joined a conference for real, then maybe I'll lighten up on them

RXB
10-27-2009, 12:41 AM
No BCS would be nice, but I'm definitely not a playoff fan, either.

This guy's column sums up my feelings on the matter. "Bring back the old bowl system"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=dameshek/091026&sportCat=ncf

Robert Goren
10-27-2009, 12:50 AM
No BCS would be nice, but I'm definitely not a playoff fan, either.

This guy's column sums up my feelings on the matter. "Bring back the old bowl system"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=dameshek/091026&sportCat=ncf About the only system that the BCS is better than is the old bowl system. I say that as a die hard Nebraska fan and whose team won 5 national championships since 1970 under the old system and none under the BCS.

nomadpat
10-27-2009, 01:44 AM
I miss the old bowl system. I agree with the point about having many games on Jan. 1. It really isn't a matter of who the national champ is for me, it's just like I having as much football as possible on one day, start the New Year off on the right foot, with tons of football. One game per day doesn't do it for me.

rastajenk
10-27-2009, 03:15 AM
I've been extolling the virtues of the old bowl regime for years. Most years you'd have at least two, sometime three or four games that could decide a national champion, all happening on the same day, or over two days. It generated much more heat than the doleful procession of today's artificially constructed matchups over the span of a week or more.