PDA

View Full Version : Same old “stuff” at Charles Town

takeout
10-18-2009, 11:00 AM
AFTER running ALL of their BC races last night in the slop they cancel today. Probably wanted to stretch out that little vacation they call “winterizing the track”. :rolleyes: I would love to have my hand on the power to the slots. I would've cut them off simultaneously with the cancellation announcement last night. Damn cancellation isn't even up at Equibase. That's piss poor.

Slots: Soon to make a bad operation worse near you!

illinoisbred
10-18-2009, 11:10 AM
AFTER running ALL of their BC races last night in the slop they cancel today. Probably wanted to stretch out that little vacation they call “winterizing the track”. :rolleyes: I would love to have my hand on the power to the slots. I would've cut them off simultaneously with the cancellation announcement last night. Damn cancellation isn't even up at Equibase. That's piss poor.

Slots: Soon to make a bad operation worse near you!
Yesterday I printed the Charles Town program by mistake[wanted the Calder program]. I've never seen such a collection of fair to mediocre horseflesh running for so much purse money. Just a glance at the Equibase numbers tells me a 20-25,000 at a mid to higher level track would be out of reach for all of them, including the 2 fields that ran for 500,000.

cj
10-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, it was a night for statebreds. It wasn't much different than any other track that hosts a big statebred day.

phatbastard
10-18-2009, 12:02 PM
i'm hoping they get table games approved in upcoming vote

nice little get-away weekend spot

have had success with handicapping their races as well

bisket
10-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Yesterday I printed the Charles Town program by mistake[wanted the Calder program]. I've never seen such a collection of fair to mediocre horseflesh running for so much purse money. Just a glance at the Equibase numbers tells me a 20-25,000 at a mid to higher level track would be out of reach for all of them, including the 2 fields that ran for 500,000.
thats basically whats been hurting md racing now for years since charlestown got the slots!!
easy pickins

Tom
10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Without state breeding programs, where would get an endless slew of talentless, slow horses? And state-bred showcase days - horseman's welfare days! :rolleyes:

Are they changing the track at CT for the winter?

takeout
10-19-2009, 04:34 PM
They’re closed until Sat. anyway. I think management and/or the jocks just wanted an extra day off. The excuse at Equibase, that WASN’T there Sunday morning, is “management decision”, but who knows? They close every year about this time to “winterize” the track. I have no idea what that means other than maybe adding some salt.

I went up yesterday to see first hand what it looked like. Unless the base was screwed up it looked fine to me. They might as well have just put up a “gone fishing” sign. I think that’s about all it amounted to. Everybody probably wanted to watch football or something. Other tracks ran in the slop yesterday.

Talked with a guy briefly that had come in on a charter bus from 2+ hours away. Said it was his first time ever at a track and he wanted to see the horses run. I informed him that there was never any guarantee of that at Charles Town. :rolleyes:

macdiarmida
10-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Tom wrote:
Are they changing the track at CT for the winter?Just takeout's joke, I think. Should have been done long ago. Otherwise the winter rains can destroy the track. If they don't convert to all-sand, the horses have to slog through mud so thick the track will have to scrape the track down to the base, and then you get some really strange race results. Or a track nobody will race on. Happened to Bay Meadows several times in the 80s. Sand was all piled up the parking lot ready to go and one heavy September rain before they got their track maintenance asses in gear made racing unpredictable or impossible.

takeout
10-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Actually I wasn’t joking. I’m pretty sure that’s what they say it’s for. They usually close down Wed./Thurs./Fri. of the week following their BC races. Maybe you’ve hit on it. Maybe they’re doing it too late. ??

PS: Keep in mind we’re talking about a track, that while running 4 superfectas a night, (now they have them on ALL races) put up a NEW tote board without a place on it to display superfecta payouts.:faint: So… I guess ANY explanation would/could be possible.