PDA

View Full Version : The Natives are getting restless........at DU

JustRalph
10-18-2009, 09:31 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6799899

boxcar
10-18-2009, 11:18 AM
How, hopelessly naive the writer is (just like many here). At the end, he said, "we need you to work for us now." The guy must be smokin' bad weed. He really believes that the state is this big, benevolent, kind, virtuous, altruistic god on earth that has the best interests of the people at heart. The only part he would have right is "big".

Boxcar

jballscalls
10-18-2009, 01:57 PM
i love DU, it is always entertaining yet infuriating at the same time. I think Boxcar that he expects obama to make it a big, kind benevolent government, but right now he just sees it as big.

boxcar
10-18-2009, 03:02 PM
i love DU, it is always entertaining yet infuriating at the same time. I think Boxcar that he expects obama to make it a big, kind benevolent government, but right now he just sees it as big.

This begs the question and states the obvious. Yes, of course, the DU writer does. But do you think that his expectations are realistic -- pertaining, of course, to the "kind, benevolent" thingies you mentioned? :) Are his expectations justified? If you think they are, please explain why. (In fact, feel free to offer an explanation either way. I think it would be interesting to understand your rationale.)

Boxcar

jballscalls
10-18-2009, 03:25 PM
This begs the question and states the obvious. Yes, of course, the DU writer does. But do you think that his expectations are realistic -- pertaining, of course, to the "kind, benevolent" thingies you mentioned? :) Are his expectations justified? If you think they are, please explain why. (In fact, feel free to offer an explanation either way. I think it would be interesting to understand your rationale.)

Boxcar

considering i think most folks in government office are there for themselves and not for the people, no i dont think his expectations are realistic

boxcar
10-18-2009, 03:44 PM
considering i think most folks in government office are there for themselves and not for the people, no i dont think his expectations are realistic

Good, succinct answer! :ThmbUp: People in government put their pants and skirts on just like we "peons" do, don't they? Their human nature doesn't differ from ours, does it? And their behavior will be in accordance with that nature, just like it is with ours, right? There is no logical reason whatsoever to attribute more noble character or conduct to politicians than to any of us, most especially since most of us don't know these people personally.
People, like that DU writer, have placed a blind, irrational trust in people about whom they really know very, very little. Absolutely mind boggling when you stop to consider these things. It never has ceased to amaze me how supposedly rationale, reasonable, thoughtful, sane human beings can do this. The only answer I can come up with is that we must have to satisfy a need to place our faith (trust) in something outside of ourselves because we intuitively know there is something bigger and greater out there than we are as mere individuals. Godless people, therefore, tend to place their faith in their fellow man, i.e. human institutions. This is the best they can do. This is all they have. This is their only hope.

Boxcar

toetoe
10-18-2009, 03:44 PM
It's called growing up, which this slacker refuses to do.

Advice to young genius: Pick yourself up; dust yourself off; start all over again. Not easy; just simple.

Tom
10-18-2009, 04:29 PM
considering i think most folks in government office are there for themselves and not for the people, no i don't think his expectations are realistic

We issue hunting licenses every year to thin out the deer herds, why not bureaucrats as well?

Overlay
10-18-2009, 05:23 PM
The original DU post reminds me of an indignant letter that I'm embarrassed to admit I wrote -- but which I at least did not send -- to Jimmy Carter back in 1978 (when I was twenty-four), one year after I had scored in the top 1% in all categories on the Federal civil service's entrance-level Professional and Administrative Careers Examination (which was subsequently done away with on the grounds that it was discriminatory against minorities and women), but I still had not managed to land a government job. I cringe at recalling the sense of entitlement that my wording conveyed at that time. With age (hopefully) comes wisdom, but apparently there will always be exceptions.

Track Collector
10-18-2009, 08:30 PM
We issue hunting licenses every year to thin out the deer herds, why not bureaucrats as well?

We have an opportunity to thin out the herd every two years......it's called elections. :) Let's hope enough of the "crowd" understands the importance to do this! (My view applies to both sides of the isle.)

Tom
10-18-2009, 09:29 PM
If you can't shoot 'em boot 'em.

HUSKER55
10-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Until someone figures out how to install values into the people I am afraid nothing is going to change, regardless of which side of the aisle you are on.

acorn54
10-19-2009, 02:57 AM
We have an opportunity to thin out the herd every two years......it's called elections. :) Let's hope enough of the "crowd" understands the importance to do this! (My view applies to both sides of the isle.)
i read an interesting article about how incumbents win 90 percent of time. the writer went on to explain that people want to throw the bums out of office but not their bum.