PDA

View Full Version : AFSCME goes off the Obama reservation

JustRalph
10-18-2009, 08:50 AM
This cannot be good for Obama............

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28397.html

AFSCME head Gerry McEntee takes on Obama's White House

The president of one of America’s largest labor unions, Gerry McEntee, has emerged as a major obstacle to the White House’s efforts to maintain a unified front in the health care debate.

The veteran president of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) has crossed lines that few labor leaders – even those who quietly agree with him – would go near.

McEntee led workers in chanting a barnyard epithet to describe Senate Finance Committee chairman Max Baucus’s health care bill, which would levy a new tax on expensive health care plans. He published an op-ed in U.S.A. Today warning, in terms that could be used against Democrats in the midterms, that the plan could tax the middle class and cost workers their health care. And he blew off a plea from White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and published an open letter promising to “oppose” legislation that contained the tax – published over the objections, several labor officials said, of other union presidents whose names appeared on the letter.

"We have had just about enough of his gratuitous slaps,” said a senior White House official Friday, calling the politically charged language “outrageous and unacceptable” from an ally — even from one that had, the official noted, devoted substantial resources to health care efforts.

“He’s doing his members a real disservice,” said the official, who said that while all other labor leaders had been careful to keep their opposition to elements of health care proposals modulated and largely inside the tent, McEntee was “beyond the pale.”

But a spokesman for AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka stood by McEntee.

"We work closely with the White House and count ourselves among their strongest supporters,” said the spokesman, Eddie Vale. “Sometimes being supportive means staking out a tough position, and nobody understands that better than President McEntee."

McEntee’s posture – and the fierce response from a White House determined to keep allies in line – reflects a broader dilemma on the left of the Democratic Party, which is feeling both lingering satisfaction at Obama’s victory and frustration at his caution.

more at the link
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28397.html

JustRalph
10-18-2009, 08:51 AM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/09/opposing-view-dont-tax-health-plans.html

The usa today editorial by AFSCME head

ArlJim78
10-18-2009, 10:06 AM
So I guess that makes AFSCME racist huh? must be.

Funny how the enthusiasm wanes for big government whenever it comes time to pick up the tab. Of course the unions want to keep their cadillac plans and not have to pay any more while the rest of us pay the bill to insure the uninsured and get stuck with the ObamaCare rationed plan.

boxcar
10-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I knew it. I knew it! I knew that organization was bigoted! Bunch of low-life racists. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Boxcar

JustRalph
10-18-2009, 01:24 PM
So I guess that makes AFSCME racist huh? must be.

Funny how the enthusiasm wanes for big government whenever it comes time to pick up the tab. Of course the unions want to keep their cadillac plans and not have to pay any more while the rest of us pay the bill to insure the uninsured and get stuck with the ObamaCare rationed plan.

I heard on the radio the other day that some UAW member are paying $8 bucks a month for health insurance................???? Can you imagine..........and we are bailing them out