PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughbred knowledge in the u.k.

kmbrmc
06-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Hi, i,m from the u.k where we have recently been able to receive daily racing from the u.s. tracks via our betting exchanges.
Unfortunetely though trying to obtain decent pointers regards tb racing is not widely available. A new phenomena in u.k racing has been the emergence of the betting exchanges in recent years. These betting exchanges are beginning to take over in popularity from well established british bookmakers such as ladbrokes, william hills (much to there annoyance)etc. The beauty of a betting exchange is that you dont actually bet with a firm,you actually bet with another pinter via the exchange(often exchanges are called person to person (p2p)exchanges and the exchange owners then deduct a percentage from the winning person. Since there advent i have started making my betting profitable by actually "laying" horses rather than backing them(in other words on a betting exchange i can play the role of the bookmaker and accept a bet from another person on a particular horse should i consider that particular horse not good enough to win.
I am very keen on expanding my knowledge on thoroughbred racing,in particularly about reasons for opposing certain horses in order to lay them,and would appreciate any pointers that could help me to decide which horses to oppose.
U.K racing is perhaps easier to find reasons to oppose a horse,such as the track shape,draw,going,jockey or trainer form etc and i would be very interested to know how many of these conditions apply in opposing a horse in a thoroughbred race.
One quick point to add, in order to oppose a horse on the exchanges in the u.k. to tempt the person who wants to back the horse you must naturally compete with many more layers so to actually confirm a bet odds offered are usually above what the bookmakers mark up price would be, and the longer the odds the bigger price must be offered to match a bet,it is very common in the u.k to have to offer a price of 14/1 about a horse which maybe 10/1 in order to have that bet matched by a person who fancies the horse to win which you want to oppose,although the shorter the price the less the difference offered(maybe a horse at 2/1 would ne matched by a layer at 2 1/2 /1).
My knowledge of thoroughbred racing at the moment is fairly limited and i would appreciate greatly any pointers that could be offered regards track facts for jockeys,trainers,and in particular percentage rates for winnining favourites.
Thanks in advance to anyone able to offer assistance,and i wish you all well.
Best wishes. mike(southern england)

kenwoodall
06-01-2003, 11:22 PM
On your side of the pond the website flatstats.com is great! I use it for reference generally. Check out the whole site as they have articles and stats as well as instruction on laying! Over here in the U.S.A. you can get insormation on "false favorites". Horses trying to go to higher levels may be something to look at there.