PDA

View Full Version : Kent D rode to make a dream come true...

joanied
10-17-2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/good-news-friday-sponsored-by-liberation-farm-making-wishes-come-true/

Say what you want about Kent D...I'm a huge fan and will remain so...and if this great story doesn't tell you what kind of a person he is, well, nothin' will.
I don't expect any replies...I just want to acknowledge Kent for being a caring person and on one of his greatest rides ever!

Kent D ; :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Way to go:)

nijinski
10-17-2009, 04:20 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/good-news-friday-sponsored-by-liberation-farm-making-wishes-come-true/

Say what you want about Kent D...I'm a huge fan and will remain so...and if this great story doesn't tell you what kind of a person he is, well, nothin' will.
I don't expect any replies...I just want to acknowledge Kent for being a caring person and on one of his greatest rides ever!

Kent D ; :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Way to go:)
Thanks for sharing Joanied ,Kent has put his former difficult days behind. He seems to be a humble and very nice person in the last several years and he is riiding super.
Sharing the time with these children and putting as smile on their faces is
wonderful deed .Kudo's to him.

CBedo
10-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Big thumbs of to Keeneland for putting this day on for the kids. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

joanied
10-17-2009, 05:35 PM
yes indeed...his wise ass days are behind him...he is humble and has his feet planted firmly on the ground...and yes...Keeneland did a wonderful thing having this special day for special kids...
Kent :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Keeneland :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Now a story like this one...especially because Kent managed to win this particluar race...should be on national news and ESPN!!!

Grits
10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Reading about Brian Wach's Make A Wish Day at Keeneland, then clicking further on last year's video story about Patrick Munro, a 9 year old who lost his eyesight before preschool due to a congenital defect, along with the loss of his dad, brings tears--rolling down one's cheeks. Patrick's Make A Wish dream was to meet the great Smarty Jones. This came true for Patrick and his mom, with the help of many, including Three Chimney's owner, Robert Clay, who gave Patrick his hand, and probably a great portion of his heart.

It is a blessing to read such stories, Joanie, thanks so much for posting.

WinterTriangle
10-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Uplifting Joanie, thanks.

When Aretha Franklin did her wonderful album, Amazing Grace, she has a song in there where the words say that we're all here to "support each other's dreams", and I do believe that.

Each of us knows how wonderful it feels when somebody reaches out and helps make something happen for us. Somebody on this forum did it for me letting me stand in winners circle for his filly, it was so exciting and thrilling for me. If it is in our power to make something nice happen for somebody else, we should do so.

Market Mover
10-18-2009, 03:35 AM
yes indeed...his wise ass days are behind him...he is humble and has his feet planted firmly on the ground...and yes...Keeneland did a wonderful thing having this special day for special kids...
Kent :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Keeneland :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Now a story like this one...especially because Kent managed to win this particluar race...should be on national news and ESPN!!!

Just always remember to pay attention to his use of adjectives in post-race interviews...I swear Kent D. consults the thesaurus as a best friend on his off days...

And don't forget images of Kotashaan in the Japan Cup if you're on a Kent D. would-be-winner in deep stretch...

Or another one of those midjudged-finish-line rides he gave at Kee a few years back...

joanied
10-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Just always remember to pay attention to his use of adjectives in post-race interviews...I swear Kent D. consults the thesaurus as a best friend on his off days...

And don't forget images of Kotashaan in the Japan Cup if you're on a Kent D. would-be-winner in deep stretch...

Or another one of those midjudged-finish-line rides he gave at Kee a few years back...

I guess it's hard for some folks to give credit where credit is due:ThmbDown: ...

Kent D :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

WinterTriangle
10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Something we need to see more of in racing, and that is being accessible to fans.

I believe one of reasons Oaklawn so regionally popular, trainers make themselves accessible, you can walk up and talk to Larry Jones, or Wayne Lukas, and several others, when they hang in the grandstand. Lukas had a thing going where if he won a race, he'd randomly find a young person in the crowd and ask if they’d like to have their picture taken in the winner’s circle. "He’ll invite the whole family down there if they want to come. And if the family wants a copy of the picture he’ll get one for them and autograph it.”

it's why I always say racing CAN be made into a family style sport. It's just that if you keep it mysterious and overly lofty, you can't do that. Many tracks sponsor interesting events, where kids can go onto the track, feel the dirt, other stuff ......the more you understand something, the more fun it is and the more likely you'll be drawn to participating in it.

I imagine lots of people go to track for first time, watch horses run around in a circle, and since they don't know what's going on, they don't come back.

Tracks and horsemen need to reach out, on a personal level, to people attending events, and events need not be targetted to the "in-crowd" but to the everyday fan, the little guy in the bleachers.

illinoisbred
10-20-2009, 10:31 AM
That's a really nice gesture on Lukas' behalf for the fans

joanied
10-20-2009, 04:02 PM
The Moss's also invite someone from the crowd into the winner circle...and, rest her soul, Trudy McGaffery (spelling?) started 'Kids to the Cup.'

Agree 100%...the more the public gets to meet people in the industry, the better off it will be.

CBedo
10-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Keeneland is doing a Military Family Day this Sunday. Free admisson with military ID, and also free admission for anyone who brings a gift or makes a donation to put together holiday care packages for deployed Kentucky service men.

Good for them. Every little bit helps.

joanied
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Keeneland is doing a Military Family Day this Sunday. Free admisson with military ID, and also free admission for anyone who brings a gift or makes a donation to put together holiday care packages for deployed Kentucky service men.

Good for them. Every little bit helps.

That's fantastic:ThmbUp: I hope it draws a huge crowd...I donate money to several military organizations and even 'addopted' a Platoon.

Keeneland rocks:jump: