PDA

View Full Version : ALCS and the Weather

melman
10-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Let us hope that the big shots at MLB have learned there lesson from last years disgraceful game five of the WS. Every forecast that I have seen calls for rain and more rain with lots of wind for both Friday and Saturday. Let's have none of this "there is a window" in which to play. Starting a game in extreme cold weather (see Phils-Roks on Sunday)is bad enough but at least with a cold weather game you get some semblance of a baseball game. With the wind driven rain you get baseball follies. Even if they have to push back the start of the series to Sunday or even Monday so be it. Let's have a real baseball game and not some "there was a window" excuse.

DanG
10-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Let us hope that the big shots at MLB have learned there lesson from last years disgraceful game five of the WS. Every forecast that I have seen calls for rain and more rain with lots of wind for both Friday and Saturday. Let's have none of this "there is a window" in which to play. Starting a game in extreme cold weather (see Phils-Roks on Sunday)is bad enough but at least with a cold weather game you get some semblance of a baseball game. With the wind driven rain you get baseball follies. Even if they have to push back the start of the series to Sunday or even Monday so be it. Let's have a real baseball game and not some "there was a window" excuse.

Well said Mel...:ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Actually, they should be able to get the game in tonight relatively rain free...after that, who knows...

ghostyapper
10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
They deserve what they get. Absolutely have both al series end sunday and not start the alcs till friday. They should have started it wed the latest. Some very idiotic decisions this post season.

Twins played the playoff game on tuesday and were forced to play wed when they could have given them a day off and play thursday. The nl was the last to play a game in the divisional round but they play 2 games before the al plays 1 in the league championship series?

OTM Al
10-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Television is calling the shots here. Were it not so, the games would have started Tuesday or Wednesday. MLB wants the money, they do what they are told. Can't wait to listen to McCarver again......

LottaKash
10-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I remember a time, when it was over, "all of it", in Sept....

For me, just like in horse racing, as well as most other sports, too much of it, for far too long, ...We are choking on it....Greed..

best,

OTM Al
10-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I remember a time, when it was over, "all of it", in Sept....

For me, just like in horse racing, as well as most other sports, too much of it, for far too long, ...We are choking on it....Greed..

best,

Really? You actually remember the 1918 World Series?

ghostyapper
10-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Television is calling the shots here. Were it not so, the games would have started Tuesday or Wednesday. MLB wants the money, they do what they are told. Can't wait to listen to McCarver again......

Genius idea to have a sunday night game and go up against the nfl. These clowns never fail to amaze.

Valuist
10-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Opposite issue in LA for the NLCS. 90 degrees. The ball flies out much more during the day at Dodger Stadium. I like the over 9 today.

OTM Al
10-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Genius idea to have a sunday night game and go up against the nfl. These clowns never fail to amaze.

If they are going to have a Sunday game, this is when it should be. Fox will draw decent numbers then (would be better if Yanks, but Dodgers do ok), but I'd think it would be far worse during the day. Consider at night only 2 cities are directly involved in the game. During the day, pretty much the whole country is watching their teams.

Oh and LottaCash, don't take that dig I put on you too badly. It was meant sarcastically but not meanly. In fact, the last WS that ended in September was in 1918 because the season was shortened due to the war. I'm not sure if it was true, but the Red Sox retired their numbers in the order 9,4,1,8 and they were displayed on the upper deck in that order until quite recently. I believe this was the date the 1918 WS was supposed to start (It actually started on the 5th. Ruth beat Hippo Vaughn of the Cubs 1-0 before about 19,000 fans...) but it rained that day...

Now had you said I remember when WS used to be over by now, that wasn't so long ago and I agree, it should be done. Its getting too darn cold for baseball. Especially in the northern climes.

ghostyapper
10-16-2009, 07:07 PM
If they are going to have a Sunday game, this is when it should be. Fox will draw decent numbers then (would be better if Yanks, but Dodgers do ok), but I'd think it would be far worse during the day. Consider at night only 2 cities are directly involved in the game. During the day, pretty much the whole country is watching their teams.

A day game on sunday would be a true disaster. But if I were them I wouldn't have a sunday game at all.

The nfl is not a regional sport like baseball so it's never just 2 cities involved in a game. They take so many friggin days off in these playoffs let they are playing 3 games on sunday and monday, going up against the nfl.

rastajenk
10-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Speaking of dumb scheduling, what's the rationale in playing an afternoon game in LA the same day as a night game in New York? Wouldn't the vice versa make about a thousand times more sense?

DanG
10-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Speaking of dumb scheduling, what's the rationale in playing an afternoon game in LA the same day as a night game in New York? Wouldn't the vice versa make about a thousand times more sense?
No doubt in terms of playing conditions, but…

The Yankee’s are obviously the marquee draw and during prime time the advertising dollars soar. As Al said; all of our major sports are primarily driven by television revenue.

rastajenk
10-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I know, and I certainly considered that before posting, but LA and Philly aren't chopped liver....are they? Defending champs, the Manny, the Pedro, the Torre; there's a little bit of star power there, too.

OTM Al
10-17-2009, 05:00 PM
A little, but its not even close to Yank's drawing power. World full of fans that want to see them win and haters that want to see them lose. Perfect setup for netwroks, especially when you throw an LA team against them

rastajenk
10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
OK, Master Logicians, today the top-drawing Yanks played a day game in sunny southern La La Land, and the prime time event is in another cold eastern city? Soooo, the reasoning for Friday's scheduling had a terribly short shelf life. ;)

:)

Valuist
10-20-2009, 12:04 AM
How about the brilliant minds in Minnesota? In the dome, the Twins had one of the biggest home field advantages in sports. They just had to get a new stadium.....an open air stadium. Real smart in an area where snow deep into May is not an impossibility.

melman
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Despite the cold weather there have been some great games in both the ALCS and the NLCS. I maintain that good solid baseball can still be performed in the cold just please MLB if there is steady rain call the game. Once again the umpires were AWFUL in last nights Phils/Dodgers game. The home plate ump must be blind. He had a pin head for a strike zone and I am not being a "homer" here as he was equally awful for both teams. I do have to give some credit to three umps however, Gerry Davis Bob Davidson and Sam Holbrook worked the plate in three recent Phils games and both teams had no problem with the ball strike calls. They did there jobs and did them well. Wish there were more of them. Umpire C Buckner should be fired, sent to the minors or retire. :mad:

skate
10-21-2009, 03:49 PM
A little, but its not even close to Yank's drawing power. World full of fans that want to see them win and haters that want to see them lose. Perfect setup for netwroks, especially when you throw an LA team against them

Welp-er, if that's a good reason, then we should be looking for N.D.(irish):rolleyes:

skate
10-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Ya ya ya, what gets me, we get the early (day) game in L A, then the late (cold) game back east.:confused:

Java Gold@TFT
10-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Just wait for a Yankees - Phillies WS. On the afternoon of Nov 1st there is a Giants-Eagles game. That same night would be a Yankees-Phillies game - both in Philly. The police department is probably already licking their chops at the new found income during the next week's city courts. Hopefully it will snow that day.

OTM Al
10-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Just wait for a Yankees - Phillies WS. On the afternoon of Nov 1st there is a Giants-Eagles game. That same night would be a Yankees-Phillies game - both in Philly. The police department is probably already licking their chops at the new found income during the next week's city courts. Hopefully it will snow that day.

I was at the Sunday WS game last year that was after an Eagles game. Much of the crowd had been to that game as well and there were some very very drunk people there before the game even started. Guys down the row from us passed out after the 1st inning and had not woken up by the time we left after the 7th (had to get back to NY to work Monday and did not want to try to get out of a parkinglot full of drunks). Could get ugly there.

Java Gold@TFT
10-22-2009, 09:39 AM
I was at the Sunday WS game last year that was after an Eagles game. Much of the crowd had been to that game as well and there were some very very drunk people there before the game even started. Guys down the row from us passed out after the 1st inning and had not woken up by the time we left after the 7th (had to get back to NY to work Monday and did not want to try to get out of a parkinglot full of drunks). Could get ugly there.
At least the Yankees/Giants fans in town for the day can take the train back home for a nap on the ride. As long as they don't have the semi-riot that Phils fans had last night ater the NLCS. So what? you haven't won anything yet. Stick to the goal. What was with all of the police in riot gear and smoke - maybe tear gas? You beat LA, so what? It's not the main goal. Behave. I guess it's good that Detroit didn't make it this far. Just act like you've been there before and celebrate like humans - drunk or not.

rastajenk
10-22-2009, 11:03 AM
The police department is probably already licking their chops at the new found income during the next week's city courts.Not to mention the special duty overtime pay.

OTM Al
10-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Funny thing happened on the way to the forum...the Sunday night NFL game did a solid 10 share, but the baseball game did an 11. Not even a game 7....gives me some hope!

cj's dad
10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Both had me up 'til nearly midnight - hard to believe at my age; and I still went to work today.

Thank God for the remote.

OTM Al
10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Both had me up 'til nearly midnight - hard to believe at my age; and I still went to work today.

Thank God for the remote.

I was doing much the same as the commercial breaks seemed endless. You'd think the NY numbers might be a little different, but from what I saw in NY the Yankees did over a 26 which is enormous and the football game only pulled a 9. Fox looks to have some good ratings coming for this series.

I know Pedro has done well, but I can't believe they are pitching him in Game 2 at the Stadium. The crowd will be screaming for blood. Yankees always smacked him around well when he could throw 95. We shall see if they are still his "daddy"....I have to believe starting pitching will tell the tale in this series as everywhere else looks pretty even and I have to believe the Yankees have a big edge in this.

LottaKash
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
With a little luck, the World Series should be over by "Thanksgiving" or a snowout, whichever comes first, I suppose...:jump: :D :jump:

best,