PDA

View Full Version : How will Belmont handle the crowd this Saturday?

Valuist
10-15-2009, 09:49 PM
The feature race? A starter allowance race. I wonder when the last time Belmoint Park had a Saturday program with no stake for a feature race.

turfnsport
10-15-2009, 10:11 PM
The moved the Athenia Stakes from Saturday to next Wednesday due to the weather.

Dick Powell
10-15-2009, 10:30 PM
It might be a good day to play the late Pick 4 with the $350K guarantee.

Scanman
10-15-2009, 10:35 PM
They're all going to Far Hills, NJ to watch the championship day of steeplechasing, usually attracting between 40-50 thousand spectators. Even better this year, they've introducted wagering on all races. With no particular standouts, you'll have 6 very competitive stake races which should offer great wagering value.

Hope this catches on and the NSA will run with it; continues to promote and growth this exciting aspect of racing.

Robert Goren
10-15-2009, 11:34 PM
The same way they handle it every day. They run things same way whether Belmont Stakes day with horse trying for the triple crown or a Thursday afternoon. Badly!!!

the_fat_man
10-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Not much of an interest these day in DIRT racing; even with FAST horses. :rolleyes:

From THE BEST to a WASTE: the NYRA story.

At least we're ensured they won't be running on the turf this weekend.:D

Java Gold@TFT
10-16-2009, 04:43 AM
Thank the BC for making any stakes race within 3 weeks of the BC insignificant.

alhattab
10-16-2009, 07:25 AM
They're all going to Far Hills, NJ to watch the championship day of steeplechasing, usually attracting between 40-50 thousand spectators. Even better this year, they've introducted wagering on all races. With no particular standouts, you'll have 6 very competitive stake races which should offer great wagering value.

Hope this catches on and the NSA will run with it; continues to promote and growth this exciting aspect of racing.

Although I'm pretty sure you can't actually bet at Far Hills. Only simos.

It might take them 10 minutes to run the 2 5/8 miles of the BC Grand National.

Tom
10-16-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm hooked on Hawthorne now. Bye bye NYRA.

Moyers Pond
10-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Thank the BC for making any stakes race within 3 weeks of the BC insignificant.

Yes, it is the fault of the Breeders Cup that NYRA is running allowance races on a Saturday. :D Probably their fault that Belmont hasn't had a dollar put into it in 40 years by NYRA, but executives were getting free transportation for their horses and paying themselves a fortune to run a non-profit.

I guess they missed the memo at Woodbine that the BC ruined racing. They just have a $500K, $1,000,000, and $2,000,000 race in a single day this Saturday. That is better than the championship weekend Belmont had last week.

I guess they should have sent a copy to Keeneland too. That $500K grade 1 is insignificant.

You clowns that bash the BC are absolutely a joke.

onefast99
10-16-2009, 09:04 AM

Even with everybody and their brother trying to rent tents the rain will keep 50% of the crowd at home with the kids. But if you do go, be careful driving home it seems like it has become a see how much you can drink festival instead of people actually watching the races.

onefast99
10-16-2009, 09:06 AM
The Hawthorne card has been a decent one for betting purposes. I still like betting on Aqueduct when they move to the inner especially when Contessa gears up for that meet specifically.

turfnsport
10-16-2009, 09:12 AM
I guess they missed the memo at Woodbine that the BC ruined racing. They just have a $500K, $1,000,000, and $2,000,000 race in a single day this Saturday. That is better than the championship weekend Belmont had last week.

Fueled by slots and a larcenous takeout.

MickJ26
10-16-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm at Belmont pretty much every Saturday. With rain, freezing rain, sleet, high winds and other good stuff forecasted for Saturday, I'm taking the day off. NYRA did the right thing by postponing a pair of turf stakes. Only one more Saturday to go before six months of the Big A.

Valuist
10-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Hawthorne is a great track to bet but the weather has been awful. Nonstop rain recently. They can't buy a break on their big days (last weekend).

Moyers Pond
10-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Ah, yes. Another clown that knows nothing. Woodbine puts up a great product. Always has. If slots are so bad why don't owners seem to mind? Why is NYRA and Churchill desperately trying to get them?

Owners, trainers, people who work at the track, and gamblers all benefit from larger purses. Look at the fields at Woodbine on Saturday and look at Belmont and Santa Anita. They are a joke compared to Saturday at Woodbine.

If you don't like Woodbine, don't bet it. Enjoy your claimers and allowance races at Belmont and Santa Anita. :D I will be watching and wagering on good horses.

You know, not all racing organizations can be run by con artists that create non-profit entites to run gambling and let the public subsidize them. That is a smart group of taxpayers in New York. I am sure they love bailing out bankrupt gambling entities. :D

Java Gold@TFT
10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Yes, it is the fault of the Breeders Cup that NYRA is running allowance races on a Saturday. :D Probably their fault that Belmont hasn't had a dollar put into it in 40 years by NYRA, but executives were getting free transportation for their horses and paying themselves a fortune to run a non-profit.

I guess they should have sent a copy to Keeneland too. That $500K grade 1 is insignificant.

You clowns that bash the BC are absolutely a joke.
And exactly what did I post that wasn't accurate? No race within 3 weeks of the BC is significant any more. Maybe you love the product at Woodbine and that is fine but the really good horses at Belmont are being pointed to the BC and the OK horses at Woodbine are running for slot money. The true BC/Good horses at Woodbine raced last week or two weeks ago. They were racing for championships and the BC. Saturday's horses are running for inflated purses and not going to the BC.

BTW, Go to the bank on Salve Germania at anything above 3-1. She was a complete mess at Sartoga - hated the paddock, wouldn't warm up, freaked when they crossed to theturf course, wouldn't load, tossed the jock twice and still won.

Valuist
10-16-2009, 10:22 AM
To each their own but I avoid Woodbine like the plague. If I had a gun pointed at me to bet a synthetic track, even then, Woodbine wouldn't be my choice.

RXB
10-16-2009, 11:40 AM

Yes, WO was pretty much dying until they got slots.

Notwithstanding my less-than-generous feelings toward WO management, I've always done well there from a betting standpoint. If you stay away from the tri's/super's and some of the multi-race wagers the takeout isn't really that bad.

I still love those Belmont grass routes. But so many of the turf races are sprints now.

46zilzal
10-16-2009, 11:45 AM
To each their own but I avoid Woodbine like the plague. If I had a gun pointed at me to bet a synthetic track, even then, Woodbine wouldn't be my choice.
Too bad. Big Prices, BIG fields, QUALITY racing that is not that hard to understand and NO TAX on ANY WINNINGS...My kind of place

Just look at the QUALITY grass fields they have for Saturday and you will see how the best grass course draws very good horses to compete.

rrbauer
10-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Hawthorne is a great track to bet but the weather has been awful. Nonstop rain recently. They can't buy a break on their big days (last weekend).

They should put in poly. Then it would be f-f-f-fast every day!

Scanman
10-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Although I'm pretty sure you can't actually bet at Far Hills. Only simos.

It might take them 10 minutes to run the 2 5/8 miles of the BC Grand National.
Yeah, probably no windows at Far Hills, but I have a couple of AWD accounts, so no problem there. Despite the weather, should be a great day of racing.

Scanman
10-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Even with everybody and their brother trying to rent tents the rain will keep 50% of the crowd at home with the kids. But if you do go, be careful driving home it seems like it has become a see how much you can drink festival instead of people actually watching the races.
Yeah, true, we'll take it easy. I have a runner in the 3rd, Dictina's Boy, so we'll have to be there around 11:30am. No rush, we'll be coming up from Philly.

The rain will put a damper on it somewhat, but I hear that this meeting is always cursed with bad weather, so hopefully people will continue to attend.

Valuist
10-16-2009, 02:56 PM
They should put in poly. Then it would be f-f-f-fast every day!

Will never happen.

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Ah, yes. Another clown that knows nothing.Your anger and name calling seems out of place here. How many more people in the horse racing section do wish to label a "clown?"

Valuist
10-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Too bad. Big Prices, BIG fields, QUALITY racing that is not that hard to understand and NO TAX on ANY WINNINGS...My kind of place

Just look at the QUALITY grass fields they have for Saturday and you will see how the best grass course draws very good horses to compete.

Tomorrow's card is very good. The 3 big turf stakes are at least worth a set of Pic 3s. But as for the Poly races, I'll pass on them.