PDA

View Full Version : BRIGHT FUTURE! Different companies must offer unlimited Procaps subscriptions!

JustCoolGene
10-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Hello PaceAdvantage,

I have followed this forum for many years and I decided to become a new member due to the great concern members have shown regarding cancellation of the unlimited TSN Advantage Plan. I see a possible solution to these concerns that will ensure the future of all software developers while protecting customer investments in handicapping software.

In the early 1990’s, BRIS came out with the first DRF file at $12 each and included the Beyer fig. This file did not have any pace, class, power, Jockey, or Trainer ratings. You had to buy a second file to get the program number and morning line. Trackmaster then immediately followed and offered customers a free utility program called Axlate which converted Trackmaster Basic, Plus, or PP data files into BRIS files containing either a single or multiple file format. Axlate was very slow and its converted DRF files also did not include the program number or morning line. Randy Kovach, who developed A-Odds and Workhorse Pro, solved Axlate’s shortcomings by creating a very fast converter that included both the program number and morning line. Trackmaster then came out with the first unlimited subscription plan while BRIS stayed with the “pay per file” for many years until 2002 when they launched the TSN Advantage Plan. Handicapping software users had real choices as to which data vendors they could use. You could use either Trackmaster or BRIS data files with all early handicapping software such as A-Odds, MPH, ALLinONE, Contenders, Focus, Sartin, etc. You can still buy DRF files from either source; however, Trackmaster DRF still doesn't include pace, power ratings, or trainer/jockey stats.

Today, much of the newer software depends on power, class, pace, par, race ratings, and Jockey/Trainer stats. These ratings only exist in MultiCaps or ProCaps files. Chruchill Downs owns BRIS/TSN and is the only provider of the files needed in newer software. They can cancel unlimited-use subscriptions, stop taking new subscriptions, raise pricing, and control which data goes into the files we need to run our software. BRIS will grandfather current TSN Advantage Plan subscribers over until the end of 2010. Are people going to make major investments in software without knowing the price, quality, and availability of files in the future? We must regain control over the data files and the use of our handicapping software

BRIS and Churchill Downs do not have a monopoly on data files. They do not have any exclusive rights to the field structure within these files. Their rights only extend to the proprietary figures within the file such as speed, class, pace, power, etc. Any data vender such as TrackMaster, PostTimeDaily, or Handicappers Daily Warehouse can use their own data to create a Procaps type file which includes the same 1400+ fields. These vendors can include their own proprietary, speed, pace, class, race, par, power, and trainer/jockey ratings. They can offer “unlimited use plans” at any price.

MultiCaps/ProCaps files have many fields titled “reserved for future use”. These blank fields were originally installed in the first DRF file and continued into the current file structures. Our software has always read these blank fields. We can only imagine how these new data providers will use these blank fields. These upgraded MultiCaps/ProCaps files can be imported into existing versions of JCapper, Aplus, MPH, Pops&Tips, Powerline, Sartin, Contenders, URTI, Speed Handicapper, CJ’s, and all the RPM software to name a few. If I didn’t name your software, I am sorry; I just used a few names off the top of my head.

We could have better speed, pace, class, power, breeding, trainer, and jockey ratings. Your current hancicapping programs will produce much better results. We could have superior program and results files at competitive prices. Your software investment will be protected and your ROI increased. Imagine better results and cheaper prices due to competition.

I hope my first post gives software developers and users belief in a brighter future.

God Bless All,
Gene

CBedo
10-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Hello PaceAdvantage,

I have followed this forum for many years and I decided to become a new member due to the great concern members have shown regarding cancellation of the unlimited TSN Advantage Plan. I see a possible solution to these concerns that will ensure the future of all software developers while protecting customer investments in handicapping software.

In the early 1990’s, BRIS came out with the first DRF file at $12 each and included the Beyer fig. This file did not have any pace, class, power, Jockey, or Trainer ratings. You had to buy a second file to get the program number and morning line. Trackmaster then immediately followed and offered customers a free utility program called Axlate which converted Trackmaster Basic, Plus, or PP data files into BRIS files containing either a single or multiple file format. Axlate was very slow and its converted DRF files also did not include the program number or morning line. Randy Kovach, who developed A-Odds and Workhorse Pro, solved Axlate’s shortcomings by creating a very fast converter that included both the program number and morning line. Trackmaster then came out with the first unlimited subscription plan while BRIS stayed with the “pay per file” for many years until 2002 when they launched the TSN Advantage Plan. Handicapping software users had real choices as to which data vendors they could use. You could use either Trackmaster or BRIS data files with all early handicapping software such as A-Odds, MPH, ALLinONE, Contenders, Focus, Sartin, etc. You can still buy DRF files from either source; however, Trackmaster DRF still doesn't include pace, power ratings, or trainer/jockey stats.

Today, much of the newer software depends on power, class, pace, par, race ratings, and Jockey/Trainer stats. These ratings only exist in MultiCaps or ProCaps files. Chruchill Downs owns BRIS/TSN and is the only provider of the files needed in newer software. They can cancel unlimited-use subscriptions, stop taking new subscriptions, raise pricing, and control which data goes into the files we need to run our software. BRIS will grandfather current TSN Advantage Plan subscribers over until the end of 2010. Are people going to make major investments in software without knowing the price, quality, and availability of files in the future? We must regain control over the data files and the use of our handicapping software

BRIS and Churchill Downs do not have a monopoly on data files. They do not have any exclusive rights to the field structure within these files. Their rights only extend to the proprietary figures within the file such as speed, class, pace, power, etc. Any data vender such as TrackMaster, PostTimeDaily, or Handicappers Daily Warehouse can use their own data to create a Procaps type file which includes the same 1400+ fields. These vendors can include their own proprietary, speed, pace, class, race, par, power, and trainer/jockey ratings. They can offer “unlimited use plans” at any price.

MultiCaps/ProCaps files have many fields titled “reserved for future use”. These blank fields were originally installed in the first DRF file and continued into the current file structures. Our software has always read these blank fields. We can only imagine how these new data providers will use these blank fields. These upgraded MultiCaps/ProCaps files can be imported into existing versions of JCapper, Aplus, MPH, Pops&Tips, Powerline, Sartin, Contenders, URTI, Speed Handicapper, CJ’s, and all the RPM software to name a few. If I didn’t name your software, I am sorry; I just used a few names off the top of my head.

We could have better speed, pace, class, power, breeding, trainer, and jockey ratings. Your current hancicapping programs will produce much better results. We could have superior program and results files at competitive prices. Your software investment will be protected and your ROI increased. Imagine better results and cheaper prices due to competition.

I hope my first post gives software developers and users belief in a brighter future.

God Bless All,
GeneHuh? :confused: We are all waiting for your solution.....

the_fat_man
10-15-2009, 08:52 PM
:lol:
:lol:

Handiman
10-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I spoke with equibase today and should be getting a call back on Monday from Victor, their V.P. for Sales. He is out of the office till Monday.

I expect to speak to him concerning the creation of a data providing co-op. It may be pure pie in the sky thinking, but I am somewhat familiar with Co-ops and at least should be able to get some basic info and feeling for the feasibility.

Handi

ranchwest
10-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Huh? :confused: We are all waiting for your solution.....

Don't you just love to get the whole teaser and no prime rib?

ranchwest
10-16-2009, 01:51 AM
The suspense mounts. Will Gene reach post #2?

CBedo
10-16-2009, 02:13 AM
The suspense mounts. Will Gene reach post #2?I'm not sure he "reached" anyone with the first one!

JustCoolGene
10-16-2009, 05:20 AM
CBedo and Ranchwest,

I am sorry if I mistakenly mislead you both into thinking I was using my first post on this forum as a tease to build up suspense and then announce some future news event. You see, I know how important this forum is to handicappers and everyone connected with horse racing. Over the years, I have lurked here and read posts from some of the greatest minds in the world who just happen to love horseracing. I understand the anxiety and pain that handicappers are going through. We all constantly get manipulated and abused by Racetracks, Racing officials, Online wagering companies, Software developers, Data suppliers, Trainers, Jockeys, and the media.

The current flashpoint in our manipulation and abuse is the TSN Procaps debacle. I believe that the “powers that be” will read this forum and see the damage they are doing to their customers. I am trying to explain to horse racing fans and the data vendors that there is great opportunity now for a change in the way we are being supplied racing data. We want better quality and total control over all handicapping data. I truly believe data vendors within the industry will read the posts on this forum and react swiftly.

This time, we will win.

God Bless All
Gene

CBedo
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I hope my first post gives software developers and users belief in a brighter future. I'm still trying to figure out how your post does that?

This time, we will win.So your thought is that by posting that we are being screwed and need better cheaper data, vendors will listen and we will get it?

Are you a politician? All I got from your posts was the fact that we need something better, and we are going to get something better....but with no tangible action plan on how to get it? :bang:

If you have a plan, we are all ears, but I didn't hear anything in your first two posts that would lead us to believe you have one.

JustCoolGene
10-16-2009, 03:32 PM
CBedo,

I guess my thought is that users would not change data sources unless forced to; it’s just too much of a hassle. For the first time in many years, players are seriously thinking about their alternatives. I didn’t think the vendors realized that they can create and sell an "unlimited subscription plan" for ProCaps/MultiCaps type files legally. I was just pointing out a new market for selling their data. The market is hot and they should fill the void. Vendors and horse players both win.

Point out an opportunity and offer a solution. That was the simple point I guess I didn’t make. I have never posted anywhere before and I have to learn to be more clear. I was just trying to help horse players.

Perhaps, handicappers can call the vendors and tell them you want an unlimited Multicap/Procap type file plan. Posting on this subject together with a few calls might be a good plan.

Handicappers Daily Warehouse (502) 570-0333
Post Time Daily (866-722-3367)
TrackMaster (800-321-3343)

God Bless All
Gene